Changed every sensor and hpfp, PLEASE HELP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Changed every sensor and hpfp, PLEASE HELP

Please help someone, I have dumped so much money in my truck and an only able to drive it in spurts. Background story is I was driving down highway and truck read reduced engine power and turned off. Found out my low pressure pump was bad and changed it. Looked in the old pump and some type of blue plastic ribbon looked to have clogged it. It still didn't run, not even with starter fluid. Mechanic says it's the hpfp so I change that and all lines. Also change every sensor imaginable dealing with fuel, temp, and crank. Now it runs when first cranked fully cold as many times as# you want you can turn off and back on, once I start driving it though and it warms up within a few minutes I'll drive and without warning it just turns off. Only way to start it again is with starter fluid and then I'm off to the races for a few minutes maybe even 25 minutes before it does back off and can only crank with starter fluid. When it runs, it's running great. I can let it get all the way cold again or wait till the next day and it will start right up no starter fluid needed and then everything happens all over. I need help really bad, I have been missing out on allot of work and draining so much money into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Changed every sensor and hpfp, PLEASE HELP

When hpfp goes everything has to be changed injectors will get metal in them. The tank also needs to be dropped and cleaned. easy way to tell if metal in the system is to pull the control valve out the top of the hpfp if metal on the screen then everything has to be replaced or cleaned out. fuel is used to lube and cool the hpf system so the metal gets into every part of the system.

Explosive Diarrhea not ur friend but a great weight loss tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Fuel pressure is very important to. if there is not enough low pressure fuel getting back to the injectors thru the oriface then the injectors won't fire. They use a fluid chamber filled with fuel to fire the injectors no fuel in the chamber the injector can not open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It runs great first start of the day and then literally when the engine warms at all it won't crank back up unless a shot of ether then runs great again till it turns back off. I feel like it's a sensor but I have changed all of them except the diesel temp sensor next to the fuel line near filter. The code pulling is reading low injector pressure but then will crank and run fine till it stops again. I'm just so lost with it. I thought maybe they didn't set the timing correct when installing the new hpfp but everywhere I read says it wouldn't start up and run good if that was the case. Of course it wasn't a Ford dealer but it was at heavy duty diesel truck repair shop. My friend owns it and I see so much work to thru there in good order so I didn't think nothing of it. I'm very mechanically inclined and went to school to be a mechanic but that was nearly 15 years ago. Also it was to be a gasoline mechanic. Using a snap on scan tool so am able to get whatever info needed. I'm just stumped on how it could start and run perfect and then just turn off driving 75mph and only start with ether sprayed and run perfect again till it redoes all the same stuff. Let it cool for some hours and crank right up no starter fluid. It's crazy. I cleaned the tank, bought new line kit from Oregon diesel, brand new motorcraft pump hpfp, and even a low pressure motorcraft pump.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM
PSN Veteran

You likely have an injector(s) that are bypassing fuel out the returns when it warms up. IMO I would replace all the injectors . You will have to have the new IQA codes programmed to the PCM.

Was there metal in the old control valve in the old pump? You should have replace everything on the high side (rails, jumper lines, return lines in motor, injectors, fuel filter and HPFP). Flushed the flow side lines and cleaned the tank out as the debris gets everywhere. Ford sells a kit with everything you need. You are chasing your tail because you only did half the job IMO

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I did also buy a set of used injectors, I just didn't have them installed yet. I was reading that upon install I can't use the same hardware that came off the old ones because once removed the joints won't go flush together anymore and I will experience leakage, is that true?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yes there was debris in the old pump as well. Will not have changing the injectors originally caused me a new hpfp problem or do you think I should be good once I change? Any suggestions?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Native Texan

Garage

No the lines have to be replaced to the injectors. I would pull the control valve and check if there is metal on the screen then you have lost the system again. Like was said these injectors need a specific amount of pressure on the low pressure side if it falls below that the injectors will not fire. the either may be allowing it to start and once running it is right at the limit to make the injectors work. Agreed you have to have the new Injectors numbers programmed into the computer I hope the used set came with the numbers.

Upgrades:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM
PSN Veteran

If the injectors didn’t come with Serial numbers don’t even bother. Pull the control valve again on the new pump and check for debris. If you find metal you have to replace EVERYTHING again. This time just buy the kit. It’s around 4,200$. Flush and clean the low side and pull the tank out and clean it out.

The injector IQA codes MUST be programmed using the IDS or a snap on based scan tool.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Master BS'er

This is just weird. Im super interested to hear what the outcome is.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode