What to look for in a used 6.7L - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What to look for in a used 6.7L

We recently upgraded our travel trailer after the insurance co deemed our existing trailer a total loss. Unfortunately, the new trailer pushes my 1/2 ton to the very top of it's published limits. I have long considered upgrading to a F-250 Powerstroke Diesel and this seems to be the right time to make the jump. I have done a lot of reading, watched a lot of videos, and tried to understand enough to make a solid informed decision.

The truck will NOT be a daily driver. It will be our weekend getaway vehicle to pull our 40' travel trailer (conventional) with a GVWR of 9600 lbs. While the weight is not excessive, the 40' length is what is pushing me towards a heavier truck. On the downside, while I have always been comfortable working on my vehicles, I have ZERO experience with working on a diesel engine or the maintenance required to prevent early failure.

My budget is somewhat limited as we just bought the new travel trailer and I do not need another high payment. Based on the vehicle I have to trade and the amount i am willing to finance, I have set my budget to $35K-$40K.

From the research i have done, these are the things I have learn (right or wrong)...

Do not consider a diesel engine manufactured before 2013
A properly maintained diesel engine can last 500K miles or more
Diesel engines are much more expensive to service, even for something as simple as an oil change
The increased cost of diesel fuel will not be offset by increased MPG, while a diesel will get better MPG than a gasoline engine towing, overall MPG is not significantly high enough to offset increased fuel costs
Pay attention to Idle Time. Engines with a high ratio of idle time as compared to overall runtime should be avoided
The turbo WILL fail and there is no preventative maintenance that can prevent it
Do not have an EGR/DPF/DEF delete as it is not worth the eventual problems it will cause

Now, I do not know if all of these are true, but they seem to be the most repeated things I have found while doing my research. Please let me know if this list (or any parts of it) are just blowing smoke.

Now to my real question... I have found a reasonably priced truck locally from a used car lot. It is a 2013 F-250 Lariat, 6.7L with 156K miles that seems to be in extremely good condition, has most of the features I WANT and all of the features I NEED, is a one owner vehicle (personal use, most likely a farm/ranch truck), and with a little TLC and a lot of cleaning and detailing would be a sharp looking rig. The dealer put knobby off-road tires on it which makes for a really rough ride but has agreed to replace them with Michelin Defenders. Total engine runtime is 4650 with Idle Time of 1870. It cranked over effortlessly in the cold (-2 degrees that day) and really smoothed out once it was warm. The only issues I have found are cosmetic (loose trim, cracked windshield, stained bedliner, etc) and the dealer has offered a good trade for my 1/2 ton truck. The Check Engine light did come on while test driving it, but the dealer claims it was probably because of the cold and has two Master Diesel Mechanics that will resolve that issue. Being unfamiliar with owning a diesel, what questions should i be asking? What are some warning signs?

At this time I have narrowed my decision down to 2 vehicles, the truck I am asking about (2013 F-250 6.7L Diesel) or a 2 yr newer, 2015 F-350 King Ranch with 96K miles on a 6.2 Gasoline engine, both within my budget. The issue with the 2015 F-350 is that the dealer is 180mi away and somewhat low-balled my trade... hence my increased interest in the local F-250 Diesel.

Please share your opinions and advice. I am open minded and willing to listen to whatever anyone has to say (positive or negative).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 F-250 6.7L.jpg (44.3 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: What to look for in a used 6.7L

At 40' ft maybe need a dually?

My Dad pulls his 5ver with a 2016 F350 SRW, but makes me nervous.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Well I don't know much about the 6.2l but I have dealt alot with the 6.7l and I am just guessing its a bumper pull trailer. Depending on the trailer the 250 will handle it I would use an equalizer/weight distribution hitch(guessing u have one towing with a 150. I have seen from the fleet I maintain that we used to replace a truck every 100000 miles for reliability reasons we are now getting to 200000 before replacing the trucks. I now maintain a fleet of 8 6.7l and have had very few major problem(nothing like the 6.0l and the 6.4l). I would go with the 6.7l as it will handle the weight easily power wise and in the long run we see alot of exhaust manifold failures from people towing around here(farm country lots of farmer towing heavy). We have had only one turbo failure on a 6.7l so far but we have had them since 2011 and they get pushed hard. They also get maintained well( every 4000 miles on oil changes with motorcraft oil, 12000 on filters, and 24000 on trans and transfer case). The one saying I like to live by is oil is cheaper then metal. All our 6.7l are intact and have had very few problems with the emissions systems mostly sensor failures. If it was me I would go with the 6.7l But I am biased as I am a diesel addict.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:49 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

just throwing this out there because i don't know what the price is on those 2 trucks you mentioned...
Almost 2 years ago, my dad bought a 2016 XLT f250 with the 6.7, ccsb, 4x4, with around 55,000 miles iirc for a little over $30,000, maybe it was $33,000. My point is that if you are patient, you can find great deals.

hmmmmm a few points on your learnings:
*the turbo on the 2011 6.7 is the one to watch for i believe, ceramic bearing issues i think. pretty sure 2012+ are good.
*lets see... ok the EGR/DPF/DEF lol, yeah it's a bonus of you can find one where those are addressed, as long as your locality doesn't require emissions testing. keep in mind, you need a hand held tuner and custom/canned tunes that program the computer to ignore those systems (or at least you'll need the one that is married to the deleted truck you buy).
*and on the 6.2 gas motor, i hear tell of people running those things way past 200k miles. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind owning one, BUT no question you'll like the 6.7 better

edit: 6.2 gasser, not 6.0 lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:16 PM
PSN Veteran

Are you sure that 6.7 you pictured is all stock? The tailpipe is not correct for a 6.7, it should be dual tip on it to deal with the heat from the regen cycle. But it is a sweet looking truck

96 F250 CCSB 4x4, D60, 3.55, Auto, 6.0 trans cooler 3"-4" down pipe & exhaust, not enough power
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Ours have single tip and the blender further up the pipe but we also have exhaust systems to hook them up to so they can be run inside.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:16 AM
PSN Local

Hmmmm. First thing I'd do is find out about the CEL before anything. Starting in cold temps doesn't/shouldn't produce check engine lights. If you're serious about this truck, go buy a cheap scanner and check the code yourself. Look underneath for any kind of fluids dripping. The exhaust has been modified. Ask if the engine has been tuned. The 6.7 is a great engine if properly maintained.

2012 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 6.7l
Tuxedo Black
3.55 E-Locker..Timbrens
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 03:18 AM
Project Shamu

I would agree on almost all your research, and its what I have come to learn as well, except for the turbo issue that Turd mentioned. The 2011's had a notorious problems with the ceramic ball bearings going bad and grenading the turbo. The 2012+ trucks were fixed and it is much more rare to have a turbo failure. And I further agree that you should LEAVE all emissions related systems on the truck, they all work surprisingly well together, and there is no reason to be "deleting" them for what you are doing.

A 6.7 F250 is plenty for the trailer you mentioned, many many more people tow much heavier, with much less. With a proper weight distribution and maybe even a sway bar setup, the F250 shouldn't even feel it.

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 AM
PSN Newb

From my experience trailer dealers have it backwards. A 20 ft + bumper hitch trailer pulls very easy with DRW even without an equalizer. A fifth wheel of goose neck can be pulled well with SRW's as long as the tires are not overloaded. Just my $.02.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:03 AM
PSN Newb

check beefier frames and suspension components, torquier engines, exhaust brakes and an all-around more confident towing experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode