Swamp's Hi-Voltage / Hi-Frequency IDMs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Swamp's Hi-Voltage / Hi-Frequency IDMs

Notes & Comments on Swamp's High-Voltage High-Frequency Injector Driver Modules.

This modification was developed more as a repair technique than as a performance modification, although it has given some very noticeable gains on most trucks. Stock trucks show the most gains, highly modified ones the least.
Any gains are also very dependant on what condition the original IDM is in: If the original IDM is already modified, and the pulse gap is shorter than .36-.38 milliseconds, little to no gains will be seen. If the original IDM is a stock EDU-100A model (used in 1994-1995.5 PSD's), the greatest gains will be seen. (Every EDU-100A I have seen was a weak, sick puppy.) Trucks with higher mileages on their injectors will also see more gains.
The only way to tell whether a truck will benefit from the HV-HF mod is to view the injector voltage waveforms on an oscilloscope. If the pulse gap is longer than .40 ms, if there is a double gap, or a ragged and uneven hold-pulse, then this mod can help.

The HF mod is not nearly as simple as the HV mod; whereas the latter involves replacing a single resistor with another one of a fixed, known value, the HF mod is more of a balancing act akin to changing the rate at which a playground see-saw pivots: the weight of the kids, how far they sit from the center, and how hard they push, all have an effect. The characteristics of the injector waveforms dictate which component(s) need to be changed or replaced, and since no two units respond identically, I often have to solder and desolder components multiple times to get satisfactory results.

It takes a minimum of 1-1/2 hours from the time I crack the IDM case open until I can seal it back on. After opening the case, I hook it up to my test bench / engine simulator which consists of a complete engine wiring harness modified with two PCM connectors (one for 1994-1997 PCM's and the other for 1999-2003 units), an IDM connector, 8 injectors and a cam trigger wheel with a CPS mounted to a variable speed motor which allows testing up to 6000 RPM. A control box allows simulating any sensor input to the PCM--EOT, EBP, IAT, MAT, BARO, MAP, TPS, etc and a custom circuit provides an ICP "feedback" signal to the PCM proportional to the IPR duty cycle. A cutout box allows disabling any injector, and a breakout box allows instant access to any signal into or out of the PCM or IDM, and the wiring harness also has the ODB-II plug for connecting a diagnostic scan tool, so I can monitor the PCM Data Stream, etc, and also run Injector Buzz Tests.
After I get it up and running, I scope the waveforms on all 8 injectors. Then I start making notes on a form: customer data, IDM model & serial number, PCB revision number, and a dozen or so voltage, frequency and duty-cycle readings. The voltage and frequency readings are re-recorded after any change is made. Once I deem the waveforms to be satisfactory, I do what I call a "Heat Stress-Test". A stock IDM draws 10-12 amps at full load, a HV one 12-14 and a HV-HF 18-20 amps, causing a substantial increase in temperature. For this test I put a thermocouple probe into the heat sink for the low-side switching transistors (the hottest components), wrap the IDM in a heavy bath towel, and run it at 2 ms of injector pulse width and 3,000 RPM, recording the temperature at 5 minute intervals while monitoring the injector waveforms. If the unit is still running normally after 25-30 minutes, I call it good.
If it fails, usually evidenced by injectors dropping out and not firing, but sometimes a complete shut-down with it recovering after it cools, or occasionally something something going up in smoke, then I fix the problem and then repeat the test until it passes.
The 2 ms / 3000 RPM is based on an engine running WFO under a sustained, heavy load mile after mile, and the engine will probably melt down before the IDM overheats. However, I currently do not want people who do heavy towing to order the HV-HF IDM's; we still need to do more testing in this area.

All IDM's that we sell will now have both the Hi-Voltage and the Hi-Frequency mods done to them. Price is $275.00 with a $200 core charge if we don't get your old IDM back, and it includes return shipping to send your core back. (We don't want your $$$, we just want our cores back. :) )

Warranty is one year.

If anyone has an extra IDM, we will mod one of them in trade for the other one. If you have non-working IDM's, 2-3 of them will get your good one modded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to 1999F350
Re: Swamp's Hi-Voltage / Hi-Frequency IDMs

are all IDM's vehicle spacific?

1999.5 F350 XLT EXT CAB AUTO 4X4,K&N W/6037, DPF5,HIGH IDLE,80T,80E,120R,140BOOSTFOOLER,PHANTOM2 GAUGES BOOST,TRANS, EGT,CUSTOM 4R100 W/ JWVB,BILLET HARD PARTS,427LINE,RACERX PARTS,BD PAN,6.0 COOLER,DETROIT TRU TRAC,3.73,VAN TURBO W/ATS&HIFLO OUTLET,4" STRAIT PIPE,AFE INTAKE MAN,140V IDM,325/60/20 NITTOS,2.5"LEVELKIT,OPTIMA'S,PIONEER DVD/NAV
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

good info. so how much of a difference does this make on a stock truck? or is this simply for a highly modified truck trying to fuel at high rpm's?

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

What about PCMs.......I have an 02 manual spare from my auto swap.....Will you take that on a partial trade or something ?

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:10 PM
look what i can do

is this different than all the other modded idm's that everyone else has?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badpsd View Post
is this different than all the other modded idm's that everyone else has?
yes

see HERE

take care~

Dave
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I love you bigrpowr!

Ok, it's either $275 for one and I send you my IDM out of my truck when I receive the modded IDM or I send you one first and you send me a modded one in return with no $$ exchanging hands?

99.5 F250 XLT S/C 6SPD

I have no ring and no love from the mods.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

no, he would need 2 idms, one of whch would be sent back to you modded

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
PSN Veteran

so does this increase hp alittle or what is the purpose of it?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 AM
look what i can do

how much of a difference would there be in ya'lls idm and the everybody else modded idm? would i be able to tell any difference

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode