Swamp's Hi-Voltage / Hi-Frequency IDMs - Page 4 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Swamp's Hi-Voltage / Hi-Frequency IDMs

Id have to double check, but i think i had an early 99 idm in it.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 AM
PSN Local

I have a early all mods in my sig, would it work with my setup or would it be a waist of time? Never have seen or been around anyone that has done this so Im just curious. Thanks!

Rich

99 PSD dually
4" lift 35' tire
4" exhaust to 6" Aussie's
K&n air filter
cc mod
Beans stage II 120hp injectors
Beans D66 turbo
ITP regulated return
updated ecm (2000 model)
reburned TS chip- 25,high idle,60,100,120,140hp
Dyno #'s 360hp and 965 ft lbs trq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Will this give a noticeable gain for the $$ over a 140v resistor-modded IDM on a very heavily modified engine?

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

`
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJunkie View Post
Will this give a noticeable gain for the $$ over a 140v resistor-modded IDM on a very heavily modified engine?
`
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
...although it has given some very noticeable gains on most trucks. Stock trucks show the most gains, highly modified ones the least.

Any gains are also very dependant on what condition the original IDM is in: If the original IDM is already modified, and the pulse gap is shorter than .36-.38 milliseconds, little to no gains will be seen.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Banning Smut

Ah...got it. I already have a modded IDM from DI, so I will use my money elsewhere....

|
|
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Peon Extraordinaire

Well I sent in my spare IDM. Will be able to give my impressions once I get it back. This will be going from a 140 to the HVHF version. I wish I had the $ to do a back to back dyno run for everyone. Finances just won't allow it though...

Sam
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
got boost

Send a message via AIM to Lmgrcivic

is this something you want to do with aftermarket injectors or would it make no difference then

01 Black 4dr auto, 118k, BTS trans, RR fuel system, DIY intake, 5in exhaust, CCV, zoodad, non EBV pedestal, high flow outlet, DP-tuner 60hptow, 80hp econo, 100hp per, 120hp race, SS oil crossover line, boost tube, map sensor, IH cps, gauges, RC leveling kit w/leaf springs

94 Civic LS motor turbo'd 11.6 @ 120 14psi stock block
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 AM

This is a very worthwhile upgrade youn's I highly recommend it. !

'97 F-350 4-WD
E4OD 3.55 gears
7.3 I-C stage 1's
38R
Termy modded 17*
Tru-Cool 4739
Swamps IDM Mod
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
PSN Local

I know the thread is old, wondering if swamps will still mod one in trade for another??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
Notes & Comments on Swamp's High-Voltage High-Frequency Injector Driver Modules.

This modification was developed more as a repair technique than as a performance modification, although it has given some very noticeable gains on most trucks. Stock trucks show the most gains, highly modified ones the least.
Any gains are also very dependant on what condition the original IDM is in: If the original IDM is already modified, and the pulse gap is shorter than .36-.38 milliseconds, little to no gains will be seen. If the original IDM is a stock EDU-100A model (used in 1994-1995.5 PSD's), the greatest gains will be seen. (Every EDU-100A I have seen was a weak, sick puppy.) Trucks with higher mileages on their injectors will also see more gains.
The only way to tell whether a truck will benefit from the HV-HF mod is to view the injector voltage waveforms on an oscilloscope. If the pulse gap is longer than .40 ms, if there is a double gap, or a ragged and uneven hold-pulse, then this mod can help.

The HF mod is not nearly as simple as the HV mod; whereas the latter involves replacing a single resistor with another one of a fixed, known value, the HF mod is more of a balancing act akin to changing the rate at which a playground see-saw pivots: the weight of the kids, how far they sit from the center, and how hard they push, all have an effect. The characteristics of the injector waveforms dictate which component(s) need to be changed or replaced, and since no two units respond identically, I often have to solder and desolder components multiple times to get satisfactory results.

It takes a minimum of 1-1/2 hours from the time I crack the IDM case open until I can seal it back on. After opening the case, I hook it up to my test bench / engine simulator which consists of a complete engine wiring harness modified with two PCM connectors (one for 1994-1997 PCM's and the other for 1999-2003 units), an IDM connector, 8 injectors and a cam trigger wheel with a CPS mounted to a variable speed motor which allows testing up to 6000 RPM. A control box allows simulating any sensor input to the PCM--EOT, EBP, IAT, MAT, BARO, MAP, TPS, etc and a custom circuit provides an ICP "feedback" signal to the PCM proportional to the IPR duty cycle. A cutout box allows disabling any injector, and a breakout box allows instant access to any signal into or out of the PCM or IDM, and the wiring harness also has the ODB-II plug for connecting a diagnostic scan tool, so I can monitor the PCM Data Stream, etc, and also run Injector Buzz Tests.
After I get it up and running, I scope the waveforms on all 8 injectors. Then I start making notes on a form: customer data, IDM model & serial number, PCB revision number, and a dozen or so voltage, frequency and duty-cycle readings. The voltage and frequency readings are re-recorded after any change is made. Once I deem the waveforms to be satisfactory, I do what I call a "Heat Stress-Test". A stock IDM draws 10-12 amps at full load, a HV one 12-14 and a HV-HF 18-20 amps, causing a substantial increase in temperature. For this test I put a thermocouple probe into the heat sink for the low-side switching transistors (the hottest components), wrap the IDM in a heavy bath towel, and run it at 2 ms of injector pulse width and 3,000 RPM, recording the temperature at 5 minute intervals while monitoring the injector waveforms. If the unit is still running normally after 25-30 minutes, I call it good.
If it fails, usually evidenced by injectors dropping out and not firing, but sometimes a complete shut-down with it recovering after it cools, or occasionally something something going up in smoke, then I fix the problem and then repeat the test until it passes.
The 2 ms / 3000 RPM is based on an engine running WFO under a sustained, heavy load mile after mile, and the engine will probably melt down before the IDM overheats. However, I currently do not want people who do heavy towing to order the HV-HF IDM's; we still need to do more testing in this area.

All IDM's that we sell will now have both the Hi-Voltage and the Hi-Frequency mods done to them. Price is $275.00 with a $200 core charge if we don't get your old IDM back, and it includes return shipping to send your core back. (We don't want your $$$, we just want our cores back. :) )

Warranty is one year.

If anyone has an extra IDM, we will mod one of them in trade for the other one. If you have non-working IDM's, 2-3 of them will get your good one modded.

00 F350 cclb former dually
1"shackles, 6" lift, 37" oz, HD headlights, AFE intake, bellowed up pipes,swamps stage 1s, swamps tunes, 5" exhaust, iah, ebpv, foil all deleted,zoodad, pillar guages; boost, Pyro, fuel pressure. MBC,
97 ex cab PS SOLD
04 CCLB 6.0 EDGE J W/A, 4"mbrp Sold
93 idi sold
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:51 AM
PSN Newb

Old thread Swamps still around? How do I get in contact with you? I tried pm but it says you don’t accept pms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode