Wheels and Tires - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Overlord of the Spark

Garage
Wheels and Tires

I'm considering putting new wheels and tires on my 6.7 after the stock tires wear out. I wonder, though, what rims are made to hold up to the weight of this truck. Curb weight on this monster is over 7k pounds. I don't want to swap out rims only to have to buy new ones a year later because I got crappy ones that buckled under the weight.

Also, I wonder what the tread life is on, say, a Nitto Ridge Grappler or Terra Grappler. What kind of aggressive tires can I put on this truck and still get 50K or more miles out of them? It came with Michelin M/S2s. I know those tires are exceptional, as I've been using them for seven or eight years on my old truck. I also understand that an off-road tire will not last the 70-90k miles that the Michelins do. However, I don't want to have to buy a new set of shoes every year either.

Yesterday, upon the stairs,
I saw a man who was not there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 PM
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: Wheels and Tires

I'm not sure about the issue around truck weight versus rims but I am ready to upgrade the stock wheels and rims on my 17 F350. I have purchased and received 4 Fuel Maverick D538 rims (20"x10" with -12mm offset) and 4 Toyo Open Country M/T's. I also have the 2.5" ReadyLift leveling kit. I'm hoping to get the kit and wheels and tires installed later this week and then an alignment done to finish it off. I got the idea and fitment from a project truck on Stage 3 Motorsports website. These are E load rated tires.

Stage 3's 2017 F250 6.7L Super Duty Project Truck

As far as mileage I believe mud tires are notorious for only lasting 40-50K....depends on driving of course and conditions.

PD

2017 F-350 King Ranch 4x4 6.7 PowerStroke
2013 F-150 FX4 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost
2006 F-150 FX4 4x4 5.4L V8 Triton
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Overlord of the Spark

Garage

How long do these Michelins really last on these 7k+ pound trucks anyway? They consistently lasted 80k on my F150, but that's less than half the truck that my F250 is.

Yesterday, upon the stairs,
I saw a man who was not there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd go away.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 03:16 AM
PSN Newb

Well if you're planning on towing a LOT Method makes a wheel thats over 4k each. I think its called the NV heavy duty the catch is it only comes in an 18. Thats higher then almost all the tires it sounds like you're looking at. I know the Ridge Grappler come in an F ply rating and something like 129 weight rating which i think is like 3,900ish pounds so you'd be set to haul whatever you want with that set up! Most companies have the wight limits posted for each wheel and most are around 3,200-3,600 pounds so its more then enough for DD/most towing. Oh and I think they have a 50k mile warranty on the Ridge grapplers. good luck looking and be sure to post pics when you get the new shoes on!

Bone Stock 2017 6.7
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM
PSN Newb

20” fuel Baja with open Range A/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BEACBBC8-E23B-454B-A700-8B0D5AA40862_1555144446263.jpeg (2.74 MB, 22 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 AM
PursuitInterceptor

You didn't give your specific truck: Your scaled weight is probably more like 8k. Most 8 lug wheels will be rated over 3k lbs each anyway. No real worries about the wheels carrying the truck and cargo but if you don't ask you can't complain later.

I run the Method NV HD version as it is a 4k rated wheel. No problem going from a 20" wheel to an 18" wheel as I run tires that are close to the max stock size of 35" or so.

40-50K on tires is reasonable with the quality brands that are out. You have to do your part as in rotations, correct PSI, and don't drop the hammer at the lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode