Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What to look for when buying used PS

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AshleyHann 
#1 ·
Hello all!
This is my first post to this forum, and I am posting because I don't really know all that much about powerstrokes.

There is a '94 f250 7.3 4x4 that is going to auction in 2 days.(pictures included) It has 366,xxx Km on it, and it "runs and drives good"
It seems from the pictures that it was mainly used as a farm truck, which could be good or bad.

My only concerns are; what should I be looking for that indicates something in need of replacement or fixing, and what are some questions I should ask? Also, how much (CAD) would be about right to bid up to?(Assuming it is in good overall condition) :bowfast:

The guy had it on Kijiji for 3 grand for a couple weeks, does that seem like an okay price? Or is it suspicious?

Just want a diesel to haul me around reliably and get okay MPGs on trips that isn't a rusted out a lot.
Not going to bag it and roll coal at every single stoplight like most people who I see driving them, I just love diesels and would take good care of it so it would last longer, ya know.

Anyways, any advice/help/pointers are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually in 94 Ford put 3 different diesel engines into these trucks.

A IDI non turbo
A IDI Turbo
and the DI Powerstroke

It past one test for being a Powerstroke with the picture of the ZF 5 speed.

Now check the 7th number in the vin. It should be a F for a Powerstroke

Other than that if you pop the hood and look the IDI will have a air cleaner in the valley and you will be able to see the injectors. The injectors on the PS are under the valve covers.

Here is some buying advise from another forum

https://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/faq/buyingadvice.php3

#5 ·
Actually in 94 Ford put 3 different diesel engines into these trucks.

A IDI non turbo
A IDI Turbo
and the DI Powerstroke

It past one test for being a Powerstroke with the picture of the ZF 5 speed.

Now check the 7th number in the vin. It should be a F for a Powerstroke

Other than that if you pop the hood and look the IDI will have a air cleaner in the valley and you will be able to see the injectors. The injectors on the PS are under the valve covers.

Here is some buying advise from another forum
Thanks! I'll check it out.
I have another picture of the engine bay if it helps, I'll attach it.
(won't let me post with the link because I don't have enough posts yet.)

Attachments

#6 ·
That is a Powerstroke.

Some will say that there are no real advantages of a Powerstorke over a IDI Turbo. The PS is electronically controlled, it has a computer that runs the engine, the IDI is mechanical. Power wise the IDI can be set up to very near the PS stock horsepower but the PS can be chipped to deliver more HP. Due to the IDI being a mechanical engine it is fairly simple to work on where with the PS you really need a computer it interface with the electronics to tell what is going on with it.

Here is some reading for you on the Powerstroke entitled The F16 Under Your Hood

https://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?The F-16 Under Our Hoods - PCM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.