cheapo safe - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

cheapo safe

I am thinking about purchasing a little cheapo $50 safe. We have have a few items, car and boat titles, just a little cash we keep at the house for emergency, etc. Currently this stuff is in a drawer. I realize their fireproofedness(think I made up that word) is limited so my thought was to put it in the bottom of the freezer. Will that destroy the lock? My other thought was to get a gunsafe and put it in there, however my old neighbors house burned and inside his gunsafe there were no survivors, just some ash and bent metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: cheapo safe

Cheapo and safe do not go together.

The idea of placing it into the freezer quite likely won't work either since I have seen freezer melted down to a glob of whatever they were made of with the contents burnt to a crisp.

Even the best fire rated expensive safes are not always the best place to store papers. I forget what temperature that the fire ratings have to withstand but for some reason 1500 F sticks in my mind but then they only will withstand it for a certain amount of time as far as their ratings.

The best idea for papers is a bank lock box but then that cost money. I just have a firearm safe that I place mine into and don't worry about them.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Well it depends on the safe where it is at they have a fire rating on how much heat it can with stand and for how long. If it is to hot it will fail no mater what. I have seen people put smaller safes in freezers with no problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:23 PM
alleged moderator

i have my important paperwork in a 18X18X18 firebox. it is 1/2 hour rated. that is on the floor of my gun safe which is also 1/2 hour rated.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
i have my important paperwork in a 18X18X18 firebox. it is 1/2 hour rated. that is on the floor of my gun safe which is also 1/2 hour rated.
I am in similar situation as @tjctransport.

I lived through a house fire in college. I leave nothing to burn if can be protected.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Electronic locks on cheap safes don't like cold. If you do go with a small cheap safe you can add protection by adding layers of fire resistant sheetrock around it, inside or out. The only safe I've seen go through a fire was a Cannon from Tractor Supply. Most everything in it survived, minus a few composite stocks, which was impressive because it was in the fire for several hours. Cannon opened it after the fire, and replaced the safe free of charge. Note to self, if possible position your safe near an outside wall, so it is less likely to be buried by burning debris.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
HilhavenFarm likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

i have family that had documents in a cheap $40 or $50 1/2hr rated document safe, and unfortunately they had a fire. And supper unfortunately, the safe melted into the documents and ruined them...
...not that I have a better settup lol, I have the same type of safe with my crap in it lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

my farts are so bad, they have been banned in 37 countries!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Just a bizarre thought here, but what about using a floor safe? If it was encased in the concrete slab, wouldn’t that provide additional protection?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 AM
POWERSTROKEMIKE

when you do get a safe go to the local fire dept tell them you have a safe an where it is.. what room an they will try to cool it off asap..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankcase View Post
Just a bizarre thought here, but what about using a floor safe? If it was encased in the concrete slab, wouldn’t that provide additional protection?
Simple. I like it. Wouldn't work great in a trailer like mine though

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode