Which reloader should I buy - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN intsigator

Which reloader should I buy

I am looking at buying a reloader, for reloading pistol and rifle rounds. Just wondering what others are using and if they like it or want something different. I am currently looking at the hornady single stage reloader

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Which reloader should I buy

Hornady makes a good press, for that matter so do the rest of the manufactures.

I have been using a Lyman that is older than most of the members here on the board. I had to repair it a couple of times but for the amount of rounds that I have loaded with it I am not going to complain.

Some will suggest a progressive but that will depend on just how many rounds you plan on loading. I can load pistol rounds quite quick once I get the cases sized and re-primed, and the same with rifle cases. It is the prep work that takes the time.

If I was to get a new press I believe that it would be the RCBS Rock Chucker and if I was going to look at a progressive I would start with looking at the Dillon 550

Which ever one you get make sure that the die thread is the standard for the industry and with the Horady you will be alright. It uses die sleeves where once you have the die adjusted and in the sleeve, they will just pop in and out. But then the other presses work almost just as easy once you have the adjustment ring tightened down onto the die and you screw it back into the press.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN intsigator

I was thinking about the RCBS just haven't seen a lot of info on them yet. If I go with a progressive it will probably be a dillon 550 or 650. I will look at the RCBS some more. Thank you for your input.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM
PSN Veteran

The big difference is just how the accept the dies. The Hornady has the sleeves that lock into the press where RCBS still has you screw the die into place. But as I mentioned once you have your die adjusted to where you want it and lock down the lock ring that die is set. Also you don't have to purchase more sleeves for other dies with the RCBS as you do with the Hornady. In my opinion it is really a mute point as is the color you like, red vrs green.

I won a Hornady Loc N Load a few years ago and sold it to a member on another forum and he has been relaoding with it ever since and has had no problems.

The big thing is the accessories that you get with the kit. All the kits come with everything you need to start out with except for the components but some are nicer than the others. But that is where time come in and you can pick things up as you notice that you need them or upgrade parts as you go.

The reason that I mentioned the Rock Chucker is that I load for some magnum cartridges and it has a little bit more space at the top of the press when you go to seat the bullets. On others you have to insert the bullet slightly into the die and then down onto the case mouth. But for 90% of my loading I have no problems with the space.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 AM
PSN Newb

You first have to decide what you are reloading for. I have been loading my own ammo for 50+ years; have used a lot of equipment over the years. I primarily load long range single shot rifle ammo, with pinpoint accuracy being the prime objective; I use single stage Redding presses with either Redding dies or custom dies made by John Whidden.

If you are loading to feed semiauto rifles or pistols and you regularly shoot over 100 rounds when you go to the range you NEED a progressive press and Dillon would be my choice. A single stage press will wear you out, and soon you will be back to buying ammo because you can't get enough ammo loaded without spending HOURS reloading.

Just MHO

Dave
post #6 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN intsigator

I am getting back into the reloading game, been out close to 30 years now. I just bought a 6.5 grendel and ammo is a little tough to find unless you order it and wait. The Creedmoor will be my next purchase. I will be reloading my 30-30, 30.06, 35, 223, then a multitude of pistol calibers. I have been looking at the hornady pretty hard, with the RCBS next in line just wondering what others thought. The RCBS looks like it might be a better kit to restart again with. My last one was a dillon progressive and I don't recall having many problems with it. I guess it will boil down to how easy it will be to swap dies between the different calibers.

It sounds like so far the RCBS would be the easiest of the 2 so far. I figure after a while I will probably upgrade to the dillon just not ready to pull the trigger on that one yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy View

post #7 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Master BS'er

Every couple of weeks I kick myself for selling all of my reloading stuff. I inherited it from my grandfather after he passed away. Didn't even get to set it all up before I needed cash really bad when I was about 21 or something. So I sold all of it, and still wish I would have kept it.

I know he had several presses, one was a Lyman and the other one was green, don't know what type it was though.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #8 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Luddite in Charge

For a single stage press (which is more than adequate for the average shooter) the Hornady "Lock N Load" makes things the simplest for a single stage press. You set the depth of the die in a bushing then that bushing is what u pop in and out of the press with each change of the process, not having to unthread two inches of 7/8x14 threads until it hits the locking ring of other presses.

I have a Dillon progressive for bulk production and recently replaced a Rock Chucker II (RCBS) that was my old man's and between us probably cranked out a million rounds in it's day with a Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press for the nitty gritty rounds. By that I mean the shooter rifles and some handgun rounds that I weigh each case, each bullet, each powder charge then as the powder pan sits on the scale I use tweezers to get say "104 grains" to weigh out to "104.000gr" on the display. The "supreme" just seems to be what the oldschool Chucker has evolved into, nothing really royal about it.

A single stage press will crank out a couple hundred rounds in an average sitting - average defined as the amount of time until you get bored with doing it - whereas a progressive can really let the cream fly........if you have the means, need, and use for that much ammo.

Jamie - Green is RCBS.

IMO - What RCBS falls short in as far as trinkets and little gimmicks to make things easier they make up for in their absolute iron clad warranty. I've returned dies to them that had plainly visible pipe wrench scores along the body, chisel gouges from 'un-stucking' rounds, and every other manner of obvious abuse and they've never batted an eyelash.

The micrometer click seating dies from Forster, Redding, Wilson et. al and the other 'super precision' are a bit overhyped too IMO. You can do all that with a normal blue collar setup as well. One process in dies, however, that cannot be argued as to it's attributing to better accuracy is neck sizing of the cases... Neck sizing dies are worth the extra expense if your ammo is going to be gun-specific or you can keep lots segregated.
post #9 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Andy View Post
For a single stage press (which is more than adequate for the average shooter) the Hornady "Lock N Load" makes things the simplest for a single stage press. You set the depth of the die in a bushing then that bushing is what u pop in and out of the press with each change of the process, not having to unthread two inches of 7/8x14 threads until it hits the locking ring of other presses.

I have a Dillon progressive for bulk production and recently replaced a Rock Chucker II (RCBS) that was my old man's and between us probably cranked out a million rounds in it's day with a Rock Chucker Supreme single stage press for the nitty gritty rounds. By that I mean the shooter rifles and some handgun rounds that I weigh each case, each bullet, each powder charge then as the powder pan sits on the scale I use tweezers to get say "104 grains" to weigh out to "104.000gr" on the display. The "supreme" just seems to be what the oldschool Chucker has evolved into, nothing really royal about it.

A single stage press will crank out a couple hundred rounds in an average sitting - average defined as the amount of time until you get bored with doing it - whereas a progressive can really let the cream fly........if you have the means, need, and use for that much ammo.

Jamie - Green is RCBS.

IMO - What RCBS falls short in as far as trinkets and little gimmicks to make things easier they make up for in their absolute iron clad warranty. I've returned dies to them that had plainly visible pipe wrench scores along the body, chisel gouges from 'un-stucking' rounds, and every other manner of obvious abuse and they've never batted an eyelash.

The micrometer click seating dies from Forster, Redding, Wilson et. al and the other 'super precision' are a bit overhyped too IMO. You can do all that with a normal blue collar setup as well. One process in dies, however, that cannot be argued as to it's attributing to better accuracy is neck sizing of the cases... Neck sizing dies are worth the extra expense if your ammo is going to be gun-specific or you can keep lots segregated.
Welcome back. Place wasn't the same without ya.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #10 of 448 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Welcome back. Place wasn't the same without ya.
My dashing good looks or my insightful wit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode