OFFICAL RECIPE THREAD!!!

51K views 272 replies 45 participants last post by  coolup 
#1 ·
Got a recipe you think others would enjoy? Post it here! :D

#2 ·
One of my all-time favorites:

#3 ·

#4 ·
I'll post our crawfish/shrimp recipe a little later with directions.

#5 ·
I copied and pasted this recipe from this thread... BACON EXPLOSION - Powerstroke Nation

Behold, BACON EXPLOSION!!! Here’s what you’ll need…
Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes

2 pounds thick cut bacon
2 pounds Italian sausage
1 jar of your favorite barbeque sauce
1 jar of your favorite barbeque rub
To kick off the construction of this pork medley you’ll need to create a 5×5 bacon weave. If the strips you’re using aren’t as wide as the ones pictured, then you may need to use a few extra slices to fill out the pattern. Just make sure your weave is tight and that you end up with a nice square shape to work with.

The next step is to add some barbeque seasoning on top of your bacon weave. Being the barbeque addict that I am, I whipped up a batch of Burnt Finger BBQ’s competition pork rub for this special occasion. Seeing as not everyone has the time, or the expertise, to create a tasty rub of their own, I would recommend trying Bad Byron’s Butt Rub, Rendezvous Famous Seasoning, or Steven Raichlen’s All-Purpose Rub.

Now that you’re pork is well seasoned, it’s time to add more pork. Take two pounds of Italian sausage and layer it directly on top of your bacon weave. Be sure to press the sausage to the outer edges of the bacon creating a patty that is the same thickness all the way across. Most grocery stores carry loose sausage, so just pick out one you like. I chose to go with a mild sausage, but spicy would work just the same. If you really want to get crazy, take a stab at making your own homemade sausage.

Next up is bacon layer number two. Take the remaining bacon slices and fry them up the same way you would for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner, or a midnight snack). If you like soft bacon, make it soft. If you like crunchy bacon, make it crunchy. If you like your bacon burnt to hell so the smoke detectors go off, then burn it to hell so the smoke detectors go off. These pieces are going to be a major part of the inner flavor of our sausage fatty, so cook them your favorite way. Personally, I like my bacon right at the point when it starts to get crispy, but hasn’t quite lost all of the softness yet. Regardless of how well done you like yours, you’ll need to crumble or chop the cooked strips into bite size pieces and place on top of the sausage layer. (Note-It’s okay, and encouraged, to snack on these pieces while your chopping/crumbling. But keep in mind that once those bacon morsels touch the raw sausage, you’ll need to resist all temptations to nibble. This can and will be difficult, but hospital trips are no fun, so stay strong.)

Since this is a barbeque recipe, we need to add another layer of barbeque flavor. Take your favorite sauce and drizzle it all over the top of the bacon pieces. Personally, I prefer to use Burnt Finger BBQ’s homemade competition sauce, but if you’re torn on what brand to use I recommend Cowtown, Blues Hog, and Fiorella’s Jack Stack. Once you’ve sauced the bacon, sprinkle on some more of the barbeque seasoning you used on the bacon weave.

Now comes the fun part. Very carefully separate the front edge of the sausage layer from the bacon weave and begin rolling backwards. You want to include all layers EXCEPT the bacon weave in your roll. Try and keep the sausage as tight as possible and be sure to release any air pockets that may have formed. Once the sausage is fully rolled up, pinch together the seams and ends to seal all of the bacon goodness inside.

At this point we can start to see the final shape of our Bacon Explosion, but we’re missing one key item. To complte the constuction process, roll the sausage forward completely wrapping it in the bacon weave. Make sure it sits with the seam facing downward to help keep it all sealed up.

Sprinkle some barbeque seasoning on the outside of the bacon weave, and now this bad boy is ready for the smoker. Cook your Bacon Explosion at 225 degrees in a constant cloud of hickory smoke until your Thermapen gives an internal temperature reading of 165 degrees. Normally this will take about 1 hour for each inch of thickness, but that could vary depending on how well you maintain your fire and also how many times you open the smoker to take a peek. Mine took about 2.5 hours, which was right on target with its 2.5 inch diameter.

Now that our Bacon Explosion is fully cooked, we need to add some finishing flavors. Remember that barbecue sauce we used for inner flavor? We’ll be using that same sauce to glaze the cooked bacon weave. Using a basting brush, coat the entire surface with a thin layer of sauce. Sweet sauces are loaded with sugars, so they’ll give your fatty a nice glossy finish. Spicy and vinegar based sauces don’t contain as much, so they won’t set up as well. If you’re dead set on using those sauces, just cut them with a bit of honey and you’ll get the same effect.

Slice the Bacon Explosion into quarter to half inch rounds to serve. If your roll was good and tight, you should now see a nice bacon pinwheel pattern throughout the sausage. Obviously pork is best served by itself, but if you feel the need to make this meat monster into a sandwich, try placing a couple Bacon Explosion slices on a warm Pillsbury’s Grands Biscuit. You’ll reach pork Nirvana is no time flat!

#6 ·
Someone get the apple pie in here!

#14 ·
Okay, you asked for it.

This is from a SL recipe book I have had for 16 years that I modified.

Use only Granny smith apples.

4 cups of Granny smith apples sliced (they will cook down)
1 TBSP Lemon juice
2 TBSP of Apple Jack Brandy
2 TBSP of all purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1 TBSP of white sugar
1/2 Cup of light Brown sugar
2 pats of butter
1 egg
1 TBSP of water
1 TBSP of apple pie spice (do not sub with All Spice)*
1 tsp of cinnamon(I like to add more then what's in the apple pie spice)
1 package frozen deep dish pie shell (you get 2)

Take the pie shells out of freezer and thaw.
Preheat oven to 350*
Slice Apples and place a a large enough bowl for tossing. Drizzle with lemon juice and brandy.(set aside for a few minutes to make sure the apples soak up some of the liquid)

In a smaller bowl combine flour, apple pie spice, cinnamon, 3/4 cp white sugar and brown Sugar. Set the extra 1 TBSP of sugar aside. Add to apples and toss gentley, but evenly. This will marry the sugars, flour and liquid together. Pour into pie shell making it mound up in the middle. Take the pats of butter(each pat is about 1 tbsp) and cut into smaller pieces. Distribute over the top of apple mound. Take the second pie shell and place on a well floured cutting board. Roll out pie shell large enough to cover first pie shell all the way to edges and over slightly. Cut off excess dough and brand the 2 pie shells together with a fork all the way around. Brush the top with egg wash( Beat egg and water together) Sprinkle with the left over sugar. Make 3 air slits with a knife. Cover edges of pie shell with aluminum foil to prevent over browing the edges. Remove the last 5-10 minutes of baking. Bake 35-45 minutes

*ALL SPICE IS COMMONLY MISTAKEN FOR 3 SPICES PUT TOGETHER. IT IS AN ACTUAL SPICE THAT IS GROWN AND IS CARRIES A VERY STRONG FLAVOR.

Happy Desserting!

#8 ·
nom nom nomn nopm nom nom

#9 ·
Made this on Sunday...

Grilled Crabmeat and Panchetta White Pizza

Pizza dough of choice- (I used a sweet pizza dough) you can also use store bought to save time.
1-2 container's of lump crab
6-8 Slices of panchetta crinkled up (italian bacon)
Shaved parmesan cheese
Feta cheese
Good olive oil
handful of Fresh basil leaves
Lemon

Roll dough out to desired size. Spred olive oil on first. Sprinkle shaved parmesan and lump crab meat. Place panchetta evenly. Top with Feta cheese and basi leaves. Bake on pizza stone in Smoker Grill at 500* until desired doneness of crust.(place stone on grillat least 30 minutes prior to cooking) Drizzle with fresh squeezed lemon.

You will not believe how awesome this tastes if you like crab meat. The crab pared with the panchetta is absolutely delicious.

I recommend a white sweet wine to enhance the crab flavor. (Riesling, Pinot Grigio, or Miscato)

Enjoy!

#10 ·
Made this on Sunday...

Grilled Crabmeat and Panchetta White Pizza

Pizza dough of choice- (I used a sweet pizza dough) you can also use store bought to save time.
1-2 container's of lump crab
6-8 Slices of panchetta crinkled up (italian bacon)
Shaved parmesan cheese
Feta cheese
Good olive oil
handful of Fresh basil leaves
Lemon

Roll dough out to desired size. Spred olive oil on first. Sprinkle shaved parmesan and lump crab meat. Place panchetta evenly. Top with Feta cheese and basi leaves. Bake on pizza stone in Smoker Grill at 500* until desired doneness of crust.(place stone on grillat least 30 minutes prior to cooking) Drizzle with fresh squeezed lemon.

You will not believe how awesome this tastes if you like crab meat. The crab pared with the panchetta is absolutely delicious.

I recommend a white sweet wine to enhance the crab flavor. (Riesling, Pinot Grigio, or Miscato)

Enjoy!
Can that be made in an oven and with something other than a pizza stone? Sounds good.

#15 ·
I don't think that was the "apple pie" they were lookin' for, lol, but sounds good nonetheless. :D

#16 ·
That might be a bit on the thick side.LOL

#18 ·
from when i was a fat kid
House Burgers
Toasted bun or texas toast
1/2 lb ground chuck
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 diced onion
lawerys season salt
12 oz coke or pepsi
4 slices of bacon
slice of swiss or american cheese or both

now put the ground chuck, diced onion, and a lil bit of season salt in a bowl and mix it together

then form a 2 patties with the above, then lay one patty down and put the shredded cheese on top of it , then lay other patty on top and form on big patty

brown outsides then slowly cook the rest to get middle done and cook bacon next to the patty if possible. When nearly done poor the coke or pepsi over it on both sides a few times to caramelize. then add bacon and melt cheese

best with Texas toast and mayo, and a lil mustard and ketch up

serve with coleslaw and wash down with some sweet ice tea

#19 ·
Potato Soup

1 pound bacon
8-10 potatoes
1 med onion chopped/minced
2 cups celery
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Milk
Cornstarch
1 pound velvetta cheese

Boil celery, onion and potatoes. Do not completely boil potatoes, they should be still somewhat firm, then drain well.
Cook bacon and set aside. After cooled crumple bacon strips.
Using the bacon grease at med-low heat, add the stick of butter and minced garlic. Stir until ingredients are well combined and remove heat.
Add milk, bacon-butter-garlic mixture and velvetta cheese to potatoes, onions and celery. Cook at medium-low heat until cheese is melted.
Add cornstarch to desired consistency.
Add bacon to the soup if so desired or set as a topping for the soup.

Brunswick Stew

Ingredients
• 1 pork shoulder smoked and pulled, or ½ a pork roast
• 1 onion, minced
• 2 cans creamed corn
• 1 can minced tomatoes
• 1 box chicken broth
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1 cup bbq sauce, Famous Dave’s Rich and Sassy
• 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
• 2 tbsp. Chili sauce, optional for a little kick – Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce found in the Oriental food section
Instructions
Heat oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and fry until soft. Add meats and brown. Add corn and diced tomatoes and mix well. Add ketchup, barbeque, chili or hot sauce and Worcestershire sauces and salt and pepper. Add chicken broth mix well, bring to a boil, then decrease heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1-2 hours.

New Orleans Style Pasta

½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast diced (can be made with 1lb of chiken)
5 Teaspoons Creole seasoning (recipe at end)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 lb chopped andouille or choizo sausage (spicy smoked sausage at Sam’s will work)
1 lb peeled and deveined medium shrimp
½ Cup green onions
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
3 Cups heavy cream
½ Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ Teaspoon hot sauce
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
1 Pound Fettuccine or Rotini

1. Toss chicken pieces with 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over med-high to high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and sauté, shaking the skillet occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Add the andouille sausage and cook, shaking the skillet and stirring for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and the remaining 3 teaspoons of Creole seasoning and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the green onions, garlic, and cream and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and ½ cup Parmesan and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain in colander. Add the cooked pasta and toss until the pasta is heated through and thoroughly blended with sauce, for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
4. Sprinkle each portion with the remaining Parmesan about 1 tablespoon per serving.

Creole Seasoning

2 ½ Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 Tablespoon dried leaf thyme

Shrimp Pasta Carbonara

1 1/2 cup small dices pancetta bacon or 12/16 oz regular bacon
1 cup small diced yellow onion
1 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail off – smaller shrimp actually work better
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black peppercorns
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 pound cooked penne pasta or rotini or bow tie
2 cups fresh grated parmesan cheese
4 eggs
Fresh parsley

Cook bacon and reserve ¼ cup of bacon fat, set aside to cool and crumble. Seute onions in bacon fat until they become transparent. Add shrimp and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with pepper. Add bacon and turn heat to low.
In bowl, lightly whisk heavy cream and eggs.
Cook pasta in boiling water until just done, drain well.
Add egg and cream mixture and Romano cheese to bacon, onion and shrimp. Turn down the heat to low and keep tossing in skillet until sauce slightly thickens. Important heat can not be too hot as you will make scrambled eggs. Add pasta. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately.

A few of my favorites......

#20 ·
^^^Might have to try a couple of those.

#22 ·
Can't forget grandma's biscuits

Baking powder biscuits

Ingredients:

2 Sticks butter – real butter, salted
4 Cups flour – general purpose
4 Teaspoons baking powder – heaping
Milk – any kind will work, quantity can vary but it should be less than one pint

Optional:

1 pound bacon
12-16oz shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Cook bacon crisp, set aside to drain and cool off. When cool crumble and set aside.

Melt ½ stick of butter and set aside.

In large mixing bowl add the 4 cups of flour and 4 teaspoons of baking powder together and whisk together. Add 1 ½ sticks of butter to flour and baking powder. The easiest method I have found is to cut up the butter into the same as a ‘pat’ of butter you might get at a restaurant. Then using the whisk work (mash) the butter into the flour until it resembles a pebble like consistency. Mix in shredded cheddar cheese with the whisk. Add milk in small increments and work dough until it just holds itself together; to little milk the biscuits will taste like flour and to much milk and they will not rise. Add crumbled bacon and mix well into dough, do not add before milk as the flour will stick to the bacon and not mix with the milk. Flour an area to roll out dough. Roll dough out to roughly the same height as the biscuit cutter. Cut biscuits and place on cookie sheet, roughly 12-18 depending on the diameter of the biscuit cutter. Bake at 425F until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush tops of biscuits with melted butter and return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

#23 ·
real Jalepeno poppers

Take a large jalepeno
Cut the top off
Scoop out the seeds and guts(set aside)
Warm cream cheese till kinda soft
Cut up sun dried tomatoes
and Mixtogether (add back in as many seed as you can handle)
SPooge the cream cheese mix into the hole
Wrap BACON around the hole (top to bottom)
stick a toothpick thru to hold bacon on

then Grill till bacon is crispy

#25 ·
This is a Cajun recipe from my mom and grandmother... meaning there is no such thing as measuring. All quantities are a best guess, or to taste.

Gumbo

- 1 whole chicken, cut up into quarters
- peanut oil (or substitute Crisco Pure Canola Oil - only use Crisco Canola as it doesn't smoke as much)
- flour
- spicy cajun sausage
- one whole onion
- green onions
- salt
- Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
- Shrimp (peeled)
- Crab meat
- Crawfish (peeled)
- raw oysters
- scallops
- any other meat or seafood you feel like throwing in the pot... this includes rabbit, squirrel, crow, alligator, fish, snake, etc. (I've personally had all these but snake at different times, and they are all tasty suggestions).

In a large pot, toss in uncooked chicken, fill with water, and boil until cooked. Same goes for other non-seafood meats that you wish to try.

In the mean time, prepare the roux. The roux is the most important part of the gumbo, and is what gives it the rich flavor, so take your time and do it right. You must use a cast iron skillet to make the roux. Pour enough oil to have enough standing in the bottom of the skillet (probably a cup of oil, more if you want more roux and more hair on your chest, less if you want to be a wuss). Add flour until the mixture is not runny, but not yet "gravy like" either. Cook at medium heat and CONSTANTLY stir. You do not want to burn any of the roux, or the gumbo will have a sour taste. Keep stirring and cooking on medium heat until the roux is the color of chocolate and has thickened up (about 45 minutes worth of cooking). Immediately remove from heat and throw all the roux into a large pot.

Take that chicken (or other meat) you boiled, de-bone it, and put the meat and the water you used to boil the chicken into the large pot with the roux. Add more water until the pot is just under 2/3rd's full.

Add salt and Tony Chachere's to taste.

Cut up onion and green onions, add to gumbo.

Cut spicy sausage into bite sized pieces and add to gumbo.

If you have any other meats that are non-seafood, add them to the gumbo now.

Cook gumbo for about 4 hours on low heat, add a little water if you need some. Taste test periodically is allowed and encouraged.

About 30 minutes before it's done, add shrimp and crawfish.

About 15 minutes before it's done, add oysters, scallops, and crab meat.

Once you are positive the seafood is cooked, it's time to eat.

Serve in a bowl by itself, or over rice. Add gumbo file (ground sassafras root) to spice it up and give it an authentic taste.

Note: there is no okra. Okra is added to a New Orleans style gumbo, which is closer to a vegetable soup rather than a real gumbo. This style is much thicker and much heavier flavor. If you can't handle this gumbo, go run back to New Orleans crying to your mommy.

#28 ·
my bbq steak recipe

drink 1 beer to get in the bbq mood

enough rump to steak to feed the tribe

marinate bowl with the below

1 slash of good japanese soy sauce

1 slash of rice wine vinegar

chuck in some palm sugar (white sugar is ok)

now leave to marinate while drinking 2 beers

fire up flame grill

cook on flame grill how ever you like your steak eg rare ,medium etc

serve on plate with advocado spread on top of steak

drink more beer and enjoy

for those on a diet dont drink the beer

#31 ·
Crock of S..T! Cheese Dip

This is my own concoction...It makes a lot (about enough for 3 bags of Tostitos scoops). Goes good with the Booze!

1 32oz block Velveeta Cheese
1 pound Ground Italian Sausage (Sweet is best)
2 15oz cans Hormel Chili w/ beans (don't use the tobasco flavor-it sucks)
1 10oz can Ro-Tel Original Diced Tomatoes w/ Green Chilies
2 4_1/2oz cans Chopped Olives
1 4oz can Diced Green Chilies
1 4oz can Diced Jalapenos
1/2 Tbsp. (+/-) Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp. (+/-) Ground Cayenne Pepper (This is where you control the 'heat')

Brown the sausage (crumble it small)
Drain the juice from the olives / Keep the Ro-tel juice
Mix it all in a slow cooker / crock pot on high to get it hot, then low to keep it warm.

I usually run out. And when there is some left someone usually steals it and takes it home. GOOD STUFF!

#32 ·
Grilled Rum Peaches

This one is from TV... (Sam the Cooking Guy)

Enough -RIPE- peaches for however many people you have. Usually 1 peach is enough for 2 people (but make extra)
1/4 cup Dark Rum - I use Bacardi Special
1/4 cup butter, melted
juice from 1 large orange
Some 'Good' vanilla ice cream - this is not a good place to save money

Cut peaches around the center (top to bottom). Remove pits.
Mix the Rum, Butter & Orange juice in a bowl. Microwave to melt the butter.
Brush the Rum mix all over both sides of the peach halves.
Heat your grill (not too hot, it's just fruit)
Grill the peaches, brushing on more Rum mix when you turn them.
What you're looking for is Grill lines, like on a steak, and they will soften up.

Serve them with the ice cream while still warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.