Truck shopping. Opinions/experience wanted! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Truck shopping. Opinions/experience wanted!

Hi to all. Long time lurker, but just now joined and posting because I find myself in a pickle and looking for opinions and experiences.

Currently have a 2008 6.4 dually, 260,000 miles and has an injector going out. Which I feel is a whole nother can of worms. Anyways, I'm looking to get out of that truck and am currently shopping. Budget is of concern so I'm not looking at anything brand new. Ideally I would like a 2017 but I just don't think that's in the cards right now. My preliminary search has started with the 2011s on up.

Purpose of the truck: I haul horses and hay. I have a 4 horse gooseneck with a GVWR of 14,000 though at some point if the maintenance and vet bills would subside for a bit, I would like to step the trailer down to a 2+1 gooseneck; I can't remember the rating but I want to say its in the 9000s, close to 10k. I also tow a 24 foot flatbed with various loads, but mostly hay. Usually around 7 tons, I've hauled as much as 10 tons before though that is very rare. Trailer weighs 6500-ish. Little to none of this hauling is off road or long mountain passes. I'm mostly hauling on the interstate short distances (1.5 hours one way) to take horses to appointments, or 1200+ mile hauls to shows. I'm in south east wyoming so pretty much every return trip is going up in elevation (horrendous MPG).

Talk to me about the pros an cons of the different generations of the 6.7. I understand that the 2011 turbos seem to be an issue regarding bearing failure and seem to have been rectified in 2012? Is it correct that the 2011-2016 turbo is smaller than the 2017-newer? What are common problems with the 2012-2017s? I'm mechanically inclined and work on helicopters for a living, but in depth maintenance on these things can be intimidating due to the sheer amount of crap that's under the hood, lack of appropriate tools, and living in the boonies (ie if i run in to issues, I have a large towing bill to get it to town).

Considering what I haul and how I haul, please suggest a gear ratio. My current truck (DRW) has a 4.30 ratio, which seems excessive for what I do. Considering the length of most of my trips, I would love better fuel economy. But also don't want to sacrifice tons of power or put unnecessary strain on the truck. Would a 3.55 or 3.73 suffice?

On that note, DRW or SRW? I have loved the stability of my dually, but my god tires aren't fun. I know it's just one of those things that comes with the territory but is it necessary?

Expensive/in depth issues I've had with the 6.4: Cracked turbo up pipe, cracked exhaust manifold, failed high pressure fuel pump, water separator issues (subsequent gelling issues), and now an injector going out (no physical symptoms as of yet, just a code, but original injectors at 260k miles.... it was just a matter of time).

This will not be a daily driver but in the past I have easily put 30,000 miles a year on my truck. Not as much now but this thing will certainly get used. What would be the maximum milage YOU would feel comfortable buying used?

So, things that I would love are better MPG and less invasive/costly common problems (haha, right).

Sorry for the novel. I tend to brain dump when I have things I need to "talk" (type) through.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode