Questionable project - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Questionable project

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've posted on here. Ive only ever had to search and I get my answer but I think I need a little moral support here lol. I'll cut right to the chase though. I put a bunch of money into my motor and about this time last year my transmission finally let go. Believe it or not, it was the low reverse clutch, figured it would be the lovely stock torque converter or the diode that went first. Anyhow, moving on. I have a knack for Reinventing the wheel and have decided to put a 13 speed in it. I'm halfway into the project, have most of the parts ready for the install all except a divorced transfer case, an eaton shifter assembly and a lower alternator mount but I'm starting to look at the Fab work and I'm second-guessing the project. I believe its mostly because the misses is pushing for me to get it done and just wants me to rebuild the automatic. I'm trying to make this the ultimate tow rig that's where the 13 speed idea came from. I'm not being cheap, I want the pride to say I turned every bolt on it after the project is finished. So If the suggestion is to rebuild the automatic, I'll do it myself.

I'm wondering if anyone has undertook something of this magnitude before... or should I just rebuild the automatic and leave well enough alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:08 PM
alleged moderator

Re: Questionable project

this is one of those things you can only answer for yourself. a thirteen speed behind a 7.3 is pretty much useless except for the cool factor of saying i did it all on my own.

and i probably would have done it myself 25 years ago when i was hauling ridiculous heavy loads with my 88 if i had the parts to do it.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Well cant say about the 13 speed but having been inside my auto 4 times now(starting on the fifth) If I had to do it all over again with the knowledge I have now I would just go to dieselsite and buy their trans they dyno test it and its built to tow. They do all the upgrades and then some. but I have most of the upgrades done to mine and depending on what failed this time may mean the final things I have yet to upgrade will get done. But having already put so much into this trans I feel I cant just throw all that down the drain and get theirs but its still a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I know, I could have gone with one of those ZF swap kits on fleabay and I know the 13 speed is a bit excessive, I will probably never need low range but it's designed to handle the power level I'm at and I dont need to worry about clutch control for exhaust brake or TQ control for climbing and I'll end up with a .62 OD gear, just like the allison's.

That's what I'm worried about with the automatic. I dont race my truck, except with the occasional stop-light-honda all I do is tow somewhat heavy or commute to work.

Sorry guys, I dont know how to direct replies to people.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 PM
don't play well w others

If I were to do something like that, it wouldn't be a 13 spd, would be an 8LL.
That's a lot of shifting for a transmission that you don't see anymore.
At least with an 8LL you can skip gears, and only use the "extra" gears when you have a load.
Just my .02

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDtech1 View Post
I know, I could have gone with one of those ZF swap kits on fleabay and I know the 13 speed is a bit excessive, I will probably never need low range but it's designed to handle the power level I'm at and I dont need to worry about clutch control for exhaust brake or TQ control for climbing and I'll end up with a .62 OD gear, just like the allison's.

That's what I'm worried about with the automatic. I dont race my truck, except with the occasional stop-light-honda all I do is tow somewhat heavy or commute to work.

Sorry guys, I dont know how to direct replies to people.
yeah its always fun just tried to drop tranny on my head(and not that kind charlie and kevin).

And just found out its not what I thought it was so now have to figure out what failed.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM
alleged moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybumpers View Post
If I were to do something like that, it wouldn't be a 13 spd, would be an 8LL.
That's a lot of shifting for a transmission that you don't see anymore.
At least with an 8LL you can skip gears, and only use the "extra" gears when you have a load.
Just my .02
you can skip gears with a 13 also Charlie.
when i do not have a trailer on the W900 i only use 4 or 5 gears
5,9,13,17, and sometimes 18. with the trailer though, i am 48,000 empty so i will usually run like a 13. unless i am starting out on a steep hill. but i try to avoid them.
with the 8LL in the T800 i run 2,4,6, and 8 when empty.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Man that sucks, I had my buddy drop the pan on my head when we were dropping mine.

I was thinking the same on skipping gears, especially with the weight difference, I might be able to drive it like a 5 or 6 speed empty, then split top range if i need it when towing. i would just start in 3rd or 4th gear, range up then hit 5 lo, 6 lo, 7 over, then 8 over for my 5 gears. I believe 4th on the 9513 is really close to 2nd on the zf6 last I checked.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 PM
PSN Local

I will be running a 10 speed in mine, single split high and low, I will drive it like a 5 speed unless I'm towing. As far as the transfer case goes, I have read and read and read trying to decide which direction to go. I ended up buying a deuce and a half T-case, it will handle all the power I need and is divorced. I have read lots of people having issues with the 205s with lots of torque in front of them (but there are fan boys also). I didn't want to take the chance and a 2.5 cases are cheap. I like you want reliability, going with a much stronger setup gives me peace of mind. I don't really need a 10 speed, but it was cheaper than just the adapter for a ZF6. Build what you want, if you do anything other than that when something goes wrong you will wish you had done it anyway. I'm building my truck the way I want it, not looking at anything else.
tjctransport and TDtech1 like this.

07 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB SRW 6.0 Auto bone stock except for 4" turbo back exhaust

Early 99 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB 6 speed SRW rear air bags Tymar mod, (BLACK) 4" turbo back, DP F5 stock-60 tow-80 econ-120 race- 140 ext, CCV mod, Auto meter guages, and the best mod of all new cup holder (TOTALED RIP)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

99-350, I like the mindset. I decided on it because I came across this trans at a steal. I thought about just flipping it but found the adapters, a belt drive bendix and a 7.3 bendix mount all for less than a ZF5 or ZF6 kit. Ive thought about a deuce case and I found a few online at the local scrap yard that were pretty cheap but im concerned with the shear size of them. I guess I need to go look at it in person but the pictures make it look as if its the same size as my 13 speed and I don't have room for that unless I cut off the front half of the stock tank. by chance do you have any pictures for comparison?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode