2009 F550 DTA360 Build - Page 6 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 2009 F550 DTA360 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
I completely resealed my truck when I had the motor out I like not having drips on the ground.

I agree, its annoying at home and work where I'm the only diesel vehicle.

07 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB SRW 6.0 Auto bone stock except for 4" turbo back exhaust

Early 99 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB 6 speed SRW rear air bags Tymar mod, (BLACK) 4" turbo back, DP F5 stock-60 tow-80 econ-120 race- 140 ext, CCV mod, Auto meter guages, and the best mod of all new cup holder (TOTALED RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:01 PM
PSN Local

Hey man, I love the idea, I'm sub'd. I'm currently doing an eaton swap myself and have learned a little about them. I gear swapped my rto trans to get the .62 OD ratio. I talked to their service department and was able to get a full parts book and service manual to print, 3-hole punch and put in a binder lol. If you plan to do work yourself on the trans, they both are worth their weight in gold. Since you dont have OD I assume you have n RT or RTF 10 speed? If so, I believe you need the RTO auxillary gear set out of an RTO or an RTOF trans. Unless you have a super 10. Unless you can find another aux box out of a scrap yard, it can get pricey. I believe what the person from their support line was referring to was the throw of the shifter. I could be mistaken but the RTOF trans were designed for cabovers and they had a longer throw on the shifter and I'm not sure if a standard shift tower will bolt up in place of the remote tower. Eaton made minor changes in the bolt pattern on each model that make simple ideas, difficult. I have a question of my own also; what is the size comparison on that transfer case you have when compared to a standard pickup case? I'm mounting a belt drive bendix air compressor for air service and I love the idea of an air shift transfer case over a divorced NP205 but the lack of space is beginning to concern me.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for info, I have the RT 1110 trans, so is the rear box what I need to swap or change the center stack of gears. My top plate has the same bolt pattern as the standard position trans. I have the service manual for the transmission that's what I keep reading and trying to reference to the local Eaton service dept.

If I could find a set of used 3.73 or 3:53 gears for my Dana s130 rear axle that weren't over 1k, I would just swap gears front and rear and put a data 70hd front ring and pinion in my super 60 axle. Other than the rear gearset that would be a fairly cheap swap and get me where I want in the rpm range doing highway speeds with a 1:1 ratio towing.

If I can find a spare case to take pic beside I will, I can get some beside a 48re trans

Early 99 4x4 F350 XLT CC LWB 6 speed SRW rear air bags Tymar mod, (BLACK) 4" turbo back, DP F5 stock-60 tow-80 econ-120 race- 140 ext, CCV mod, Auto meter guages, and the best mod of all new cup holder (TOTALED RIP)

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM
PSN Local

Ive searched and I'm not sure what you need to change with that trans to get the OD. To turn the RTO into an RTOO trans, I had to swap the input shaft gearset with 3rd gear gearset it also changes a couple of gear steps and swaps the shifter position for 3 and 4. I can't find any trucker forums about gear swapping the rt1110. Or using the rto aux box gearset. I know that RTO trans usually had overdrive in the aux box, mine does. You might be able to get away with just swapping the 2 gear sets but the countershaft gears are pressed on. I had to take them to work so I can use the 55 ton press. Left c-shaft gears broke loose at about 35 tons, the right one at 48 tons, sounded like someone lit off an m80 in the shop.
Robertl211 likes this.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well been working on my sons vehicle he turns 16 in three weeks so that's taking priority.

Did get an answer finally on transmission, I need two new gears not just the one to make it a true RTO. This will give me equal splits throughout the gears. Everything to do the switch is just over 400 so that's for sure going to happen.

Bought a 06 Cummins turbo for 30 bucks, going to rebuild it and should be a great upgrade from the stock one, and is a great turbo if I ever want to do a compound setup.

After doing a lot of reading I'm going to try and rotate the bus radiator/inner cooler 45 degrees and gain the 6 or so inches of clearance from the stock setup. This will also put my cooler hot and cold on correct sides of motor to eliminate the crossover tube. I will do all this on the bus frame to check for any flow issues. There isnt a cap on the bus radiator so no problem with that being on side.

Looking for an AG balance and water pump pulley to shorten front end of motor as much as possible. Going to shorted water pump stem like several other builds have done only nets 2 inches but adds ups quick.

post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-350 View Post
Well been working on my sons vehicle he turns 16 in three weeks so that's taking priority.

Did get an answer finally on transmission, I need two new gears not just the one to make it a true RTO. This will give me equal splits throughout the gears. Everything to do the switch is just over 400 so that's for sure going to happen.

Bought a 06 Cummins turbo for 30 bucks, going to rebuild it and should be a great upgrade from the stock one, and is a great turbo if I ever want to do a compound setup.

After doing a lot of reading I'm going to try and rotate the bus radiator/inner cooler 45 degrees and gain the 6 or so inches of clearance from the stock setup. This will also put my cooler hot and cold on correct sides of motor to eliminate the crossover tube. I will do all this on the bus frame to check for any flow issues. There isnt a cap on the bus radiator so no problem with that being on side.

Looking for an AG balance and water pump pulley to shorten front end of motor as much as possible. Going to shorted water pump stem like several other builds have done only nets 2 inches but adds ups quick.
Hope the boy is driving and enjoying the freedom.
Any updates on bus?

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

, I wish chasing down electrical crap trying to get headlights to work on his jeep. I'm going to put him in my 1997 F350 for now if I don't get Jeep done this weekend. As soon as I get it out of my shop Bus will be going back in to get the motor yanked So I can start mounting up the transmission and transfer case to get cross-members made. I'm looking at about a months time this summer to get it done after the first cutting of hay when I wont absolutely have to have this truck and can run the 97. I travel most of the spring for work so I loose 2 weekends a month to work on stuff and end up working the farm the two I am home.

Still have some things to really dig into like the interior electronics. I will be doing all manual gauges in a custom made dash bezel for sure. I really like the idea of using the master cylinder from the bus on the truck its electric assisted hydraulic, I would loose the ABS, but not sure if that really matters to much to me.

If anyone has a wire diagram for the the 08-11 trucks I would really appreciate it, I can lay that out and determine what I need to keep and what I can get rid of.
HilhavenFarm likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode