7.3 into 2006 swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 into 2006 swap

in progress

started with this truck that is just worn out all over and would nickel and dime me to death if i started in on it. the engine is in great shape though

and this 2006 in pretty good condition all around

engine is out and cleaned up a little

go fast goodies ready to go in. 160/30 single shots, hydra, bd up pipes, bd billet wheel already in the turbo, 4" turbo back exhaust not pictured, 600 hp heavy duty transmission and TCS triple disc converter also ready to go

the horror show that is the f350 dash

underhood is ready for the 7.3

-underhood harness switchover isn't a big deal
-under dash harness sucks to change over
-going to try and use the 2006 cab harness and just splice some wiring to make it work with the '03 dash harness

the ABS pumps between '03 and '06 are different and are located in different spots under the hood. I am in the process of cutting back the harness loom to reach the '06 pump location and will need to cut and flare the '06 brake lines to put fittings on them that will go into the '03 pump. there are 5 lines to connect into the pump and ford used a different fitting on every line and use a completely different set of fittings all together between '03 and '06

all in all this isn't too bad, the dash is definitely the worst part and is the most time consuming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 7.3 into 2006 swap

if anyone has 2006 and/or a 2003 cab wiring harness diagrams they could send me, that would be awesome....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:14 PM
PSN Local

I've done a swap like this in the past and just a FYI there's alittle more.to it than splicing wirws make sure that you use EVERYTHING you can off the 03 because that 06 fuse box is gunna be alittle different depending on what trim level it is the plugs on the back maybe the same but the pins inside are probly different. The wiring is the worst part by far. Let me know if you need anything I have a dash harness out of a 05 and a 01 I'm selling also have 2 misc fuse boxs and ABS controller out of a 02 a VSM out of a 01 and a security module out of a 01 excursion so I have a few items you may be interested in if things go south on ya. Remember grounds are key !!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The main reason I am going to splice the '06 body harness to the '03 harness and fuse box is because the '06 has power seats, heated mirrors and keyless entry pad on the door that the '03 harness wont have anyway. It will be easy enough as soon as I have the wire colors identified.

Here is specifically what I have to deal with as far as that goes PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - View Single Post - Looking for 2006 cab wiring diagram
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Just found that the '03 heater hoses are 5/8 and the '06 are 3/4
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 AM
PSN Local

Did you post this up on the org a couple weeks ago? I remember commenting on it. Excited to see how it goes.

2000 F250 Super Duty 2wd w/ Solid axle conversion, XLT, HD4R100, CCSB, Teal w/ gray interior. X-Codes w/ 4" rear block, Fox 2.0 IPF Shocks

Mods: KC66 stage 1 Turbo, TS 6 Pos, RiffRaff 6637, RiffRaff AIH Delete, 2008 Lariat 18" wheels

Next: 160/30 Injectors

Dallas, TX/Stillwater, OK
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i did but everyone that posted just told me not to do it. i think a lot of those guys are really scared of pulling an engine out of a truck. i'm getting a lot more good info over here. i'll post up on the org again when i'm done

i finished flaring brake lines and relocating the ABS pump. everyone has told me just to bypass the ABS system but for the 4 years that I drove the white 7.3 truck, any low traction conditions that would cause easy tire lock up while the torque converter was locked up, would stall the engine. this means really hard steering and braking which can be really bad in some situations.

everything else is pretty straight forward so far.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

does anyone know the purpose of this wiring that comes from the cab harness and goes through the floor in my '03? the 2006 doesn't have this wiring. some of it come from the passenger side of the cab at the front kick panel.

picture is of the driver's side floor just inside of the door
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM
PSN Local

That's the harness for you tailights and fuel pump at least on my 02 it is
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

tail lights, trailer brake and fuel gauge, not fuel pump on the '03

i discovered after dropping the 7.3 in the truck that the 6.0 cab's firewall is set back about 1.5" vs the 2003 truck so there is lots of room to remove valve covers now.

i ended up splicing the 2006 cab wiring to the 2003 cab wiring which has been interesting and very time consuming. Ford did some crazy wiring in the 2003 that makes no sense. in 2003 the front seat belts have a solenoid connected to the air bag computer under the dash. in 2006 they didn't do this but the 2006 air bag computer communicates with the 6.0 pcm so I think I'm going to end up changing out the front seat belts.

the speaker wiring in the '03 was designed by someone that should be in an institution with the wiring running in circles around the cab. i am going to abandon that and run new speaker wires.

the fuel gauge wiring has a wire that goes directly to the wiring harness through the floor on the left side of the driver's seat, the other fuel gauge wire goes from the cluster, to the passenger side kick panel, under the front seats and out through the driver's side wire harness..... along with the trailer brake wiring too. i am still shaking my head at this.

the 6.0 fuel pump was easy to wire up (didn't wire the heater) the 6.0 fuel lines were too short but are easy to junction with the flexible lines from the 2003

the 2006 uses 3/4" heater hoses, '03 uses 5/8" so i had to adapt that

i still need install the transmission/t-case but that's all straight forward. i'm going to adapt the '06 lines and filter to work with the 4r100 somehow. i am going to use the 6.0 trans cooler, intercooler and a/c condenser.

all in all, it's working out well. i couldn't see a body swap being any easier. the underhood portion of all of this is the easy part. dash and wiring is the part that sucks but using the 6.0 wiring is keeping me from having to completely disassemble the interior of the truck (I hate interior work)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode