Cummins/5R110 Swap into E Super Duty - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cummins/5R110 Swap into E Super Duty

I am wanting to replace the 460/E4OD in my 1996 E-Super Duty Bus with a 12 valve Cummins and a 2006 5R110 trans that I have. I understand that I will have to have a PCS controller and the 5R isn't the easiest trans to tune, but I think it might be a good setup if I can make it work. I hear it works best with the stock 6.0 computer, but that sounds like a real can of worms. Can anyone add any input about my plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Cummins/5R110 Swap into E Super Duty

This maybe a crazy idea, but does anyone know just how tough it would be to use a factory computer from a 2006 E450 just to operate the 5R110 transmission? I know I would have to get a wiring harness and computer from a suitable donor. How would I find out exactly which circuits, wires, and sensors are required to operate the trans?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Administrator

you might want to talk to the folks at DeStroked

but if shifting the 5r with just a 6.0 PCM was feasible you wouldn't need PCS controller for any swaps would you ? but you even need it for a cummins in to a 6.0 so ???
plus it needs a lot of input from the motor /cluster other sensors on the 6.0 remove the motor and you have issues

at least as far as I can guess but that's all I'm doing

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

You are probably right. At first everyone needed a PCS with the swap and now with proper tuning some are making the OEM computer working with the 5R with better results than the PCS. Just thought I'd throw it out there. You never know.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 03:46 AM
Administrator

I didn't know tuning could replace the PCS

see I learned sumptin ;-) thx

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Talked with 2 different transmission tuner guys today. One said using an 03-04 Ford PCM and SCT tuner to control the 5R trans will work very well, the other said he is pretty sure it will work. Sounds like a fun project. I think I'm gonna do this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 03:24 AM
Administrator

keep us in the loop !

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Once I get started I will post it in this thread. Time to go parts hunting!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Been getting stuff ready for the swap. Got my adapter plate and flexplate from DCS. Frame mounted the battery boxes underneath the body, made new cables and installed dual batteries (cranks over the 460 REAL well). Changed the rear gear ratio from 4.63 to 3.73. Also trying to gather up all of the misc. pieces to make the swap. I want to attempt to do all I can before the actual swap so it won't drag out too long. The goal is to spend about 4-8 weeks removing the 460 and E4OD trans, setting the 12v Cummins and 5R110 trans in place and building the motor supports, re-locating the trans crossmember rearward, shortening the driveshaft, fabbing radiator, trans cooler, and intercooler mounts and plumbing, and of course doing all of the wiring changes for the gauges, cruise control and transmission computer.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I decided to wait for cooler weather before I tackle the swap. Finally found an 04 F350 wiring harness to use for the PCM. Gathered up all of the sensors that I will need. Still need to build the crank position sensor bracket, adapter to mount the larger TM-21 A/C compressor, and fab the turbo down pipe. I'll get those done in the next couple of weeks.
In the mean time, I have been sorting out the dual A/C system and driving the bus quite a bit. The 3.73 gears are a real improvement on fuel mileage and engine noise. It lost a very little acceleration, but all of the other pluses more than make up for that. Swapped in a diesel instrument cluster and programmed the speedometer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode