DT360 in OBS advice. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

DT360 in OBS advice.

am considering to do a swap in the near future and trying to get some info here, since i could not find a good write up for an OBS swap.
My truck is a 96 F350 4-door dually. 2wd
here is what i am looking at :

DT360 mechanical Engine , with a Manual Transmission.
At the moment i am not sure about what type of Manual, but considering a Eaton RTO-610 , 10 speed Transmission, as this is the smaller version of the 10 speed. This would however depend on availability.
I do not want to keep my current ZF 5Speed.
any input on this?

here my questions:
- what are the best ways to physically mount the engine?
- how do you overcome electrical issues in regards to the dashboard?
- what is the impact on using a 10 speed or similar in regards to required body modifications?
- what kind of fuel milage could i expect on highway speed (70 to 75)
- if i find a 360 with a spicer, are there any issues using the spicer transmission (besides i like to have more than 5 gears?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM
PSN Local

Re: DT360 in OBS advice.

To overcome issues with the gauges, you need to transfer the corresponding sensors from the stock engine to the DT. Coolant Temp and oil pressure, then do the wiring. The speedo will work because that's not driven off the engine or the ECU. The voltmeter will work, and the fuel gauge will obviously work. I have a theory that the tach will work by adapting the PS CPS to a reluctor ring on the DT, but that is theory right now. As my swap progresses more I'll find that out.

I would avoid the dual countershaft transmissions if you can. The physical size, complexity, and weight aren't ideal. Not to say DON'T do it, but you can get a nice 6 speed Eaton or 7 speed Spicer to accomplish all you need.

Fuel economy? I have no idea... I would assume better than the 7.3, but I don't think anyone who's done this swap has figured that out yet.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks for the info. I figured that my regular gauges would work, except the tach. Im sure, most of the Wiring harness will be eliminated.
As a stupid question here: is the PCM still needed, since the DT is a fully mechanical Engine?

In regards to the Transmission, i heard some people not liking the spicer, but not sure why? I am hoping of using a Transmission with very low gear to maneuver trailers easier without having to ride the clutch and having higher gears with overdrive to keep the highway rpm as far down as possible, which should also reduce noise.
I was hoping to be able to cruise around 1800 rpm, which i believe is the max torque rpm for the dt?

Stefan

1996 F350 CCLB, 4 Exhaust, Tuner,Baby Swamp Injectors, OnBoard Air, DIY E-fuel, lot of extras..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 PM
whistle tits

Are you opposed to a well built automatic?

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i sure am.. when i first got my truck with the stock engine, i converted it to stick :-) just like driving a stick better

Stefan

1996 F350 CCLB, 4 Exhaust, Tuner,Baby Swamp Injectors, OnBoard Air, DIY E-fuel, lot of extras..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsubmariner View Post
thanks for the info. I figured that my regular gauges would work, except the tach. Im sure, most of the Wiring harness will be eliminated.
As a stupid question here: is the PCM still needed, since the DT is a fully mechanical Engine?

In regards to the Transmission, i heard some people not liking the spicer, but not sure why? I am hoping of using a Transmission with very low gear to maneuver trailers easier without having to ride the clutch and having higher gears with overdrive to keep the highway rpm as far down as possible, which should also reduce noise.
I was hoping to be able to cruise around 1800 rpm, which i believe is the max torque rpm for the dt?
Been shifting gears in every thing from cars to class 8 trucks for over 30 years..I have owned multiple spicer and fuller trannies, and maintained [worked on and driven] some 100+ other medium and hd trucks.. The spicer in most instances would not be my first choice in most instances if i could get a fuller.. This being said i would not have an issue having the little 7spd [eso 66-7b] behind the dt engine.. Fact is i have one waitin on my shop floor for such a project.. Biggest issues i have seen with the spicer's is normally due from multiple drivers, wrong lube in them, and large amounts of stop and go type driving work cycles.. They tend to get cranky about shifting into the next gear with lots of wear..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for this info. What model fuller would you recommend ? I'm still open to all options as I have not gathered any parts as of yet :-)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 AM
PSN Local

If you choose to go the fuller route, you can get the little fso-6306a, or if you intend to get greedy with the power, the fso-8406a.. Both are od units, the first being rated to 630 lbs of trq, the second 840lbs, hence the first three numbers in the tranny model.. Also dont right off the fs-6306 or the fs-8406, which are more common.. They are direct drive trannies, but can be converted to an od... When searching remember fs is direct, fso is an od unit..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank yo. I looked yesterday at the different gear ratios of a 5106 and noticed that the 6th Gear has still a high ratio of 1:1. This would bring my engine rpm to almost 3000 if I go 75mph. My zf has a 5th gear ratio of .76:1 . Do yo know guys know if there is any good tranny that has an OD ratio of somewhere around .70:1? I know the rto610 has a ratio of .8:1 in 10th gear.. That is ok but still a little high. I like to keep my rpm around 1800 to 2000 at 70.

Stefan

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:10 PM
PSN Local

Like Navistar said, the fuller trans comes in both OD and non-OD variants.

FS = Non-OD
FSO = OD

The OD transmissions have a 6th ratio of 0.78

In my DT conversion I got my hands on a FS5104 for a song, so I'm going non-OD. I'm swapping into a F550, so I planned on regearing from the 4.88 I have now anyway. I can get a 3.07:1 carrier for my S135 fairly easily, which makes the non-OD trans work for my application.

If you want to keep your stock rear, you're going to need an OD variant. They are harder to come by and more money, but they are out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuller_Medium_Duty.jpg (41.2 KB, 87 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode