03 6.0 cummins conversion - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

03 6.0 cummins conversion

hey im asking for some advice. im postiing this thread here because i dont feel like hearing the bashing of how i should just stick with the 6.0.

i have a 2003 F350 Auto 4wd with the 6 liter. i was planning after deployment to get the truck bulletproofed(truck runs but my OT/CT split is up in the 20s) so i was gonna dump about 9-10k into the truck and get it all done up, BP oil cooler, ARPS, BP water pump, Fuel regulator kit, valve job and what not. already has BP 6 phase ficm and blue spring and gauge.

but my brother(sold me the truck) asked what about just swapping a cummins in it? soo hmmmm i start searching and now im really interested. ive drove his 98.5 twin turbo and built tranny(dodge) cummins and it was a pretty nice actually(dodge body and chassis aside)

so in my research i figured i could do the swap myself with the help of some buddies who are a little more expierenced but none of us have done a job like this before.

i wanted to put 2003-2004.5 CR in place instead of the 6.0, i would do a
p-pump but the unfortunate thng is im stationed in california with emissions testing and even my home state of ohio has emissions. the factor of passing emissions is probably my biggest deterent. i was imagining spending about 10-12k for the swap doing it myself but if i cant register a truck theres no point.

so if anyone out there can chime in on expierence with this possible swap or getting past emissions after a swap please feel free to share info!!!

thanks for any help!!!

-Jamie

p.s. if there any info on my plans or current truck that will help just ask

NEWB!! trying to learn
97 PWS CC EXTB custom intake 4"down pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 03 6.0 cummins conversion

old sig ,ignore it

NEWB!! trying to learn
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 02:59 PM
PSN Veteran

If it were me I would do a bit newer motor 06-07 or even a 6.7. They are more reliable engines .I can buy 1 20,000 mile 2012 6.7 for less money than a 150,000 mile 5.9. I am personally against the swap. But that's only because every fummins I have drove was a turd. Someday I might drive a good one??? maybe. I really don't have an opinion on emissions I never tried we don't have emissions here. My understanding was same year or newer, from same class of vehicle, and all emission equipment for that engine it would pass.

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

well the reason i didnt want to do newer is due to some issues with skim and other more electronic issues plus i didint want a truck with a egr system. from what ive read the 03-04.5 are the most conversion friendly and correct me if im wrong but arent the 05 and up equppied with an egr? and true those are the rules but i know check engine light is always a big red flag.

are there any other reasons you wouldnt swap (other than turds)?

with either the 6.0 or a cummins my desire is a reliable mid 500rwhp daily driver.....the reliability of the 6.0 scares me but also does the potential can of worms of a swap

NEWB!! trying to learn
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:13 AM
PSN Veteran

well first kick in another 6k+ for trans 5r110 running stand alone controller simply don't live in fummins trucks the shift strategy is to complex. so you need a built 4r100. Only egr I ever seen on a 5.9 was on 07 isb in medium truck . I don't think any of the dodge pick ups got egr till 6.7 unless their is a California package or something. Far as programming only one I really dealt with was running smarty tuner from destroked. One of the other things to consider the Cummins will not have the power it has in dodge pickup in excursion. Excursion is 2000+ lbs heavier than 4 door ram. Engine vibration and noise seen offensive to me not enough dampening in the mounts. of the conversion kits for daily driver. May not bother some just not my taste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 AM
PSN Veteran

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4dr Quad Cab 139" WB HD - Inventory | DLA Motorcars | Auto dealership in Garland, Texas You might look into this truck for $6500 not a sales pitch but it would make a good donor it's pretty nice we bought it for a customer and he couldn't come up with the money

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 AM
whistle tits

it seems like you will end up spending the same, or close to the same amount of money either way, so pick whatever motor makes you happy! Personally, i'd opt for a cummins over a 6.0, but thats just me. Im not the average idiot that just says that because i'm scared of them. i know how to work on them, and have to daily drive one for my company truck. They are just problematic as hell. Even after you "bulletproof" them. Ficm's, injectors, hpo leaks/issues, turbo vanes sticking, lifters dropping needle bearings into the oil pump and trashing cams and oil pumps, etc...

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghohouston View Post
it seems like you will end up spending the same, or close to the same amount of money either way, so pick whatever motor makes you happy! Personally, i'd opt for a cummins over a 6.0, but thats just me. Im not the average idiot that just says that because i'm scared of them. i know how to work on them, and have to daily drive one for my company truck. They are just problematic as hell. Even after you "bulletproof" them. Ficm's, injectors, hpo leaks/issues, turbo vanes sticking, lifters dropping needle bearings into the oil pump and trashing cams and oil pumps, etc...
Yep I work on all 3 powerstrokes Cummins and duramax diesels all 3 have problems They don't call them 5.9 common FAILS for nothing!!!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 AM
PSN Veteran

i know a couple guys with 6.0l that are not turds, one is fast as fk.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i see what your saying about the trans issue. i love cummins and always wanted one in a ford....but the fact remains that money and tiime are just not on my side. and yes i would be forking over some cash for my initial stud install, cooler, etc it would be saving me alot of headaches and time. im sure the swap would leave me car less for a couple months and thats just more headaches i dont want.

i had an eitre build plan for the truck that would be about a 1.5 years long. but that includes BP'in, and the power adders i want. then i can save some $ for a stranger trans an toughen up the trq5110.

do these fummins really tear up the 5100 that bad? most sights i read the its pretty decent for the swap other than the tuning

NEWB!! trying to learn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode