DTA360 questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

DTA360 questions

I think I found a engine for my 86 to replace the gutless 6.9.
The Add says..

I have for sale an international turbo diesel complete motor, it was taken out of an early 90's running international flat bed truck. The engine runs strong, with 90,000 miles on it. I do not know very much about this type of engine, but I have a picture posted of the tag that's on the motor so you're able to see what it is. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them to the fullest extend of my ability. Feel free to email me with your questions, or leave your phone number and I'll be sure to call you. The price too is negotiable. Thanks for looking!

The pics show it till bolted to a trans(I don't want it, looks like allison) Sticker on Valve cover says DTA-360, [email protected], 1900 applicable

has all the accessories still on it(alt, starter, fan, turbo,some of I/C plumbing)

Is there anything I should be looking for? how can I fire it up to hear it run(it is laying on pallet)

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
PSN Local

Re: DTA360 questions

Hook a fuel source to the pump, get one decent size hot battery and hook to starter.. make sure fuel shut off is in run position, and crank at the starter solenoid.. With out hooking an oil pressure gauge up, all you can really chk for is noises, and bad smokeing.. Smoke should be little to none at idle, try and smell for oil.. Often they need to be a bit warm for the oil smell in the exhaust, and chk for major blowby.. Again true blowby will require a warm engine, however truely sick engine can have blowby wether warm or cold.. Pull oil fill plug out to do the last test.. also chk for coolant smell/residue in the oil.. Normally on a dt360 they either are good runners, bad wore out, or blown..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Thanks.

Apparently the guy has sold the engine or is an idiot. Because he has not returned 2 emails from the past week

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 AM
PSN Local

Thats the way it goes sometimes.. I have had my best luck finding replacement, or project engines, from school buses.. Finding a rotted out bus in your neck of the woods should be easy.. You can get a better idea about the engines vitals this way, and sell the rest for scrap.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Believe it or not, the guy called me back yesterday.

Went and picked it up. Go the I/C too. Even though it is tiny. The filters are pretty bad looking(rust wise) and the coolant didn't look good. But I took a risk. hope it pays off

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbilt View Post
Believe it or not, the guy called me back yesterday.

Went and picked it up. Go the I/C too. Even though it is tiny. The filters are pretty bad looking(rust wise) and the coolant didn't look good. But I took a risk. hope it pays off
Good luck.. Any coolant left in the engine i would check the dca on it.. Might be the coolant was is good shape, and you wont have to worry about cavitation..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by navistar45 View Post
Good luck.. Any coolant left in the engine i would check the dca on it.. Might be the coolant was is good shape, and you wont have to worry about cavitation..
The lithe coolant that was in it was NASTY rusty brown. And the coolant filter has a hole rotten in it. No big deal If it needs a rebuild though

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:04 PM
PSN Local

Cool! The rebuild kits on these things are very reasonable...good luck with your build.

Mine has 425,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Small step tonight. Got a half ass engine stand made, filters changed and fired it up.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...54129591275421

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode