96 f250 4wd conversion - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

96 f250 4wd conversion

I bought a 97 F250 psd 4wd e4od w/ about 150k miles the other day for $500 can tell it was well taken care of. Unfortunately the guy was driving down the road in a storm the other day and was crushed by a massive red oak. The body is totaled, there isn't a straight panel on it. I have a 96 f250 2wd zf5. I want to swap drivetrains, I don't think the frame is bent, but wont know until i get the cab and bed off. Whats going to be the easiest route? Should i take the cab and bed off of my truck and just switch frames? What parts am i going to need to buy? Do I need an auto PCM? Will the PCM from the donor truck work? I know the automatics in these trucks aren't the greatest. But i plan on taking it easy on it. And if worse comes to worse i can always go back to the zf5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrecked psd.jpg (58.4 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 96 f250 4wd conversion

Did the guy survive??

I would probably personally take parts off of the wreck and put in yours. There is gonna be a ton of pinched wiring harness's and such in the red truck that will cause nothing but endless headaches. Strip out everything salvageable, sell what you dont need and keep the engine for a spare. Never hurts to have a solid, known milage clean 7.3l laying around. Plus there is a huge market for used parts for these rigs. And yes switching the auto PCM into your truck will run the automatic fine after the swap. You shouldnt need to buy too much, only the parts that are absolutely destroyed. Your going to need atleast the trans, torque conv., flexplate, trans wiring harness(plug+play), driveshafts, PCM, Steering column w/ shift cable, dash that has the gear indicator, floor pan to cover 5 speed shifter hole, crossmember. And then the front axle and everything needed to put that in. The trans swap will be all bolt in. Would be easier to get a 4x4 5 speed and just put the trans case on that and make driveshafts then add the front axle.

97 F250 eclb. 265k
- Fresh engine. d60. zf5. Some other stuff...

E99 f550 213k
- starts every morning...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 96 f250 4wd conversion

yeah i just found out that the mileage was more like 300k after finding some receipts in the glove box. Thinking about keeping my 5 speed now actually. And yeah the guy survived I don't have a clue how though. He actually had to pay the truck off to get the title. Just to turn around and give it to the tow truck driver, who then sold it to me. Don't know how or why he only had liability on a financed truck. But yeah I'm thinking your right. Probably easier to just swap parts instead of frames. Made some progress today though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0705131436.jpg (48.8 KB, 20 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode