99 Fummins project - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

99 Fummins project

Ok i know this has been done before but i just had some question before i just start going for it. First off its a 99.5 quad cab 7.3 4x4 with a dana 60 front end. and the motor is a 93 cummins and trans is 47RH out of a 94. Im buying the kit from fordcummins.com im removing all the A/C things because it didnt work in the first place. The kit after i remove everything i didnt need is going to run me 780 bucks. Comes with mounts, sensor stuff, radiator hoses kit. My questions are.
1. with the A/C box gone and all A/C things removed will the turbo sit well in stock position?
2. Do you guys use the stock lift pump to supply fuel or do you go after market?
3. What modification do i have to make to the trans cross memeber to fit the dodge tranny?
4. Do you guys use electric fans or do you use stock fan?
5. how did you run your intercooling using the ford intercooler?
pics would be nice if you have any

I understand most of the basics The kit makes it easy to install the motor and get all the gauges to work. But the fuel system, fans, and trans questions always have stumped me. Im a pretty good mechanic and the kit comes with an installation guide but some help from people who have done it before would be nice. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 04:36 AM
PSN Local

Re: 99 Fummins project

I have an 89 12 valve motor in my 88 f350 frame that im putting a 63 cab on, my truck just uses the lift pump and works very well, although if you want to go after a performance route then maybe an after market fuel system is what you want.

For the trans cross member it would almost be easy enough to make your own depending on your level of fabrication.

When I got the truck it had the 12 valve fan on it in the 88 truck. With the 63 cab I might be fighting some clearance issues so I may be adding some electric fans, which is simple if you understand what type of electric fan you will need (push/pull).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM
PSN Local

You could use stock or aftermarket on the lift pump, depends on fuel demands.

Turbo should fit fine if the truck loses the A/C box

The tranny mount will have several options, Id get the engine, trans etc in there, and see what presents itself. Shouldnt be bad at all.

Stock dodge mechanical fan will fit. Relatively close, but it will fit.

I cut up the stock dodge steel pipes to connect everything up. Little tinkering, but used stock ford boots at intercooler, stock dodge boots at engine, and steel pipes cut/rewelded to connect them together.

24v cummins swap into a superduty here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks guys and its just going to be a pretty much stock truck when I go for power it will get a ppump motor. And I'll just use the stock pump and fan. Is the swap relatively hard? I've been a mechanic since I was born lol.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I know buying a dodge would be easier just hate dodges
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.3ps View Post
I know buying a dodge would be easier just hate dodges
Don't buy a dodge. The swap is fairly simple depending on what angle you look at it from.
There have been numerous cummins swap'd ford vehicles, ive seen alot of newer 99+ swaps, do some research, there is a ton of info.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

how hard is a 5 speed swap? meaning the pedal and mechanics to get it to run? or just run the suto?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

also for people who have done this what motor mounts would you go with? im thinking destroked motor mounts. Plan is to use both destroked and ford cummins. get motor mounts and tach kit from destroked and get the kit to adapt sensor to fit ford, radiator kit, and get the alternator kit. I want a engine mounted fan but people say with the ford cummins engine mounts you cant.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
how hard is a 5 speed swap? meaning the pedal and mechanics to get it to run? or just run the suto?
Well you will need to get a pedal assembly from a newer ford like yours, I would not go with an auto. Also you'll need to find a trans, a zf5 from on obs truck or a zf6 from a super duty, the one from the superduty will be easier to get to work considering thats what they came with, you'll also need the master cylinder.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
also for people who have done this what motor mounts would you go with? im thinking destroked motor mounts. Plan is to use both destroked and ford cummins. get motor mounts and tach kit from destroked and get the kit to adapt sensor to fit ford, radiator kit, and get the alternator kit. I want a engine mounted fan but people say with the ford cummins engine mounts you cant.
they are both good companies, just a little pricey for my liking. If you went with electric fans you would also be gaining power, electric fans dont require as much energy to run and you could even put them on a toggle switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode