Freightliner Cummins/ Allison 5 speed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Freightliner Cummins/ Allison 5 speed

Clam was here. Haven't logged in for two years. Excursion has been running two years without issues. Glad to be rid of the 7.3. Towed Seattle to Alaska, Alaska to South Carolina and back to Alaska. Now it just goes to town for groceries. Still need to make another towing run to Seattle and back though.
If I were to do it again, I wouldn't. I'd just buy a semi tractor and get it overwith.
Issues: cooling system is too big and too small. Cold in winter, hot when towing in the summer. Allison works perfectly stand alone. Should be able to make the ECM and TCM communicate on this exact setup, but there's a bad wire somewhere and I got tired of looking for it. It works fine as is.
Clam out.

clam

2000 4X4 Excursion, 2005 HPCR 5.9 Cummins, Allison 1000 5 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
PSN Local

Re: Freightliner Cummins/ Allison 5 speed

Glad your happy.. Personaly i wouldnt have pulled a 7.3 out for the cummins, but thats me.. I like both engines, just dont see it worth the expense and effort.. On edit, try a different turbo, and likely your over heating will end.. I had the same issue with my 05' dodge, and seen several un modded trucks with dropped valve seats due to the overheating that both dodge and cummins originally said was normal..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The freightliner front cover/rear gear train requires me to use the freightliner ECM which seems dead set on forcing me to use the restrictive VG turbo. So I'm stuck with what I have.
I installed the Cummins after the 3rd time the powerstroke fell apart-at 117,000 miles thanks to #### Cunningham rods. It was time for something more reliable and the cummins certainly is that at this point. However, as you pointed out, the expense was horrible. A tractor would genuinely been cheaper.

clam

2000 4X4 Excursion, 2005 HPCR 5.9 Cummins, Allison 1000 5 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
PSN Local

I have had excellent luck with all 3 of my 7.3 powerstrokes.. They get the crap worked out of them too, and my buisness depended/depends on them.. The highest mile'd one is a f450 with 4.88 gears, 351k on it.. The 05' common rail, i had was a good truck overall , but i constantly had to monitor egt's, and in the summer it ran much hotter then i like a truck to.. Certainly not a truck i would retire to my work crews.. It's a shame you cant change out that turbo, likely it would cure your heating issue, and you would have a great combo there..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode