cummins swap or build 6.0? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

cummins swap or build 6.0?

hey guys i recently bought my 04 ford f250 with only 80k miles, i thought i may have bought something decent that would last a while without needing too much work anytime soon, but as always i got lied too about this truck, i think it needs headgaskets deff a new egr cooler and the icp harness is full of oil, so my question is, is it worth doing the cummins swap? i was going to do a 12v and keep the auto trans ive looked up cost versus doing a complete solutions package on the 6.0 im torn between the 2 because id like to keep it with the v8 to keep it factory instead of making everything work even though people have gotten these things to be like factory with the cummins engines. i want your guys opinions on what you would do, i would do all the work btw plus im a tech at international so i know these engines in and out. also for people that have done the swap whats your input on this topic plus how much was it really to do the swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
PSN Local

Re: cummins swap or build 6.0?

I'd only do it for a commonrail, I'm personally not in to the 12v. If you can swing 20k at it go for it. I have 15k in mine after recovering 5k from the sales of the parts from my truck. Being a tech I'd say go for it, If you had to pay someone to do it just fix what you have.

Get ready for a lot of work, but if you are like me you won't mind it.

If you delete the 6.0 and stud it, it will probably do everything you want though. I may sound like I'm wavering even though I have no regrets about mine, I love it. It's just a lot of time and money, if you don't have both don't do it.

Early '99, 7.3/4R to Cummins 6.7/ZF6 CONVERSION, AIR LOCKERS, 4:11, 35", '05 HARLEY FRONT , TRAIL READY W/WARN.

6.7/ZF6 SWAP. IT'S ALIVE 11-13-12
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
PSN Local

cummins swap or build 6.0?

I pulled the 6.0 engine outa my 04 and put in a 12v. Then replaced the auto with a zf6 bc I got sick of tuning the trans. If I would of done it again, I would of kept the 6.0. Yea it may take some money to get it where you want but those 6.0s can be good engines. I wouldn't replace it with anything other than a CR either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM
PSN Local

Re: cummins swap or build 6.0?

Top end rebuild on a used 24V. P-pump conversion, added twins and a number of other HP goodies. Swapped the Auto for a ZF6 and dumped the transfer case for a divorced twin sticked NP205. Total cost is about 18k after selling some parts.

Simple drive train, no electronics, expecting 500+ hp.

If you're going to keep the truck long term then I'd do the swap if I was you, I wouldn't put another dime into a six leaker, been there, done that. It never ends with those engines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode