77 F.150 IDI Swap Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

77 F.150 IDI Swap Questions

Hey guys so here is the story, got a good running complete 91 F.350 5 speed 4x4 for free from my uncle but, truck has 8 years back taxes, the body is totaled and rusted out. Took it for the flatbed so I could swap it onto my early 99 since the box is shot. Then got a 91 and 94 F.150's from my friend for free, figured I'd swap the cab and front clip from the 91 and hunt down a bed and get a nice little cheap IDI I could run on biodiesel since its way cheaper than the real stuff here. Well thats not going to work, plan B time. I've had this 77 F.150 sitting at my house for a few years now, bought it for body parts for my other trucks, but have never had the heart to tear it apart, sheet metals all solid, clean title and tags in storage. Only reason I've never put it on the road is its got a 460 and a 4 speed with 35's, it gets very thirsty. So am planing on swapping in the complete drivetrain (engine, transmission, etc.) from the F.350 into it. Have done a lot of research into this swap, I know I will need to build new towers, relocate oil filter, new cross members, driveshafts, etc. My biggest concern is the frame, are these frames strong enough to support the diesel engine and how much weaker are they compared to the one tons of this generation. My biggest problem with swapping the diesel into the 1/2 ton is that I will not be able to use it to tow, something I do a lot and would like to have the ability to do so if needed. Thanks for any input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode