Legality of swaps, just talked to state emissions guy - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Legality of swaps, just talked to state emissions guy

Found the number for my state's diesel emissions program, and gave him a call. Real nice guy actually, helpful, and very willing and able to answer lots of questions. Reinforced what Ive always known on gassers, applies to diesel, plus one or 2 things as well.

Same year or newer
same technology or newer
with diesels:
same classification of vehicle

examples:
-no diesel swaps in jeeps, 1/2 ton anything, unless youre using a 1/2t diesel engine ie liberty, 2lt etc
-no truck motors in cars, but can put car motors in trucks (at least in my state)
-12v swaps, nothing computer controlled. So no 95+ (electronic inj) fords are legit with a 12v.
-150 body on 250 chassis with diesel, not ok, vin and emissions goes off the body

Everything must also function correctly. Check engine light proper function, along with some things in the computer that they look at, that tells them the ecm/pcm is monitoring those functions as well.

Just wanted to let folks know. In case you are looking at a swap, and want to be legit.

Interesting point, EPA technically applies to everything. So a motor that was emissions controlled, but now in an offroad only application, still needs all original emissions equipment to be completely legal. Its not really enforced, but it is the law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
whistle tits

Re: Legality of swaps, just talked to state emissions guy

Geez, what state are you in? cali?

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Legality of swaps, just talked to state emissions guy

Uh, no.

But this is actual EPA regulations, which is FEDERAL. Where I actually live, has no emissions testing. Which basically means I'm not directly tested, but doing a non-legit swap, is a violation of Federal laws. Im no lawyer, so feel free to contact any regulation office you want.

Also interesting was the fines. Typically about 2500 for individuals. Now apparently, a business doing the conversions, they can get the fines way higher. Even selling parts can actually get pretty sticky it sounds like. The guy I spoke with does not work for the EPA, but their major source of income apparently is fines.

Im not saying dont swap, just do your homework if you ever intend to sell the truck, drive anywhere, or move. Apparently when folks move with non-compliant vehicles is the most often time the non-legit swaps are found, and then the owners get really mad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode