3208 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Im going to be getting my hands on a 3208 turbo charged with an Allison for close to nothing.Not sure what its going into yet but i was wandering if anyone knows how to tweak the pump?Or have any good resources for info on these?

96,f-250 x-cab long bed,d-60,6'' skyjacker,3''sky rsk,sky crossover,38.5 hawgs,4:56's,Detroit,.030 over,hypermax push rods,Swamps 270cc hybrids,gauges,Tymar,3.5'' down 4'' back......

Coming sooon....Terminator twins,comp 910's,studs,tunes,D66,fuel sys,cooler and more......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 3208

Cat 3208 & early model 3306

Tools needed-7/16" socket, a short extension or 2, and a screwdriver. If you look on the top of the pump you'll see a cover with 2 bolts that's about the same size as a Holley carb's float bowl. Fuel does come out sometimes, and does not need bleeding afterwards. Under it is a screw with a jamb nut. If you hit the accel. linkage you'll see a little pin come up. The screw stops the pin and thus, limits fuel. So adjust it as far up as you can as long as you can tolerate the black smoke. Most turbo'd 3208's can run fine with the screw all the way out(removed). And just behind that is the high rpm governor adjustment. It's labeled as 'high idle', but only go 2-3 turns at a time as to keep it under 3200 no load. Backing the screw out raises the rpm. One more adjustment is the pre-boost power. This is up in the front of the other 2 adjustments. It's round & has 3 bolts holding it & 6 holes in it. Take all 3 bolts out and you may have to smack it with something to break it loose(mosly from paint). Now tighten it like you're screwing it in tighter, that makes the power come in sooner. If you go 'til it stops, then you may see lots of smoke if you mash down on the pedal. Back it out as needed.

If you're looking for even more, get you some 435hp marine injectors for the 3208T. It'll need some more timing, and possibly a better turbo, but depends on your driving style and the driving conditions.

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
04, red regular cab, six speed, Edge SOLD
97, silver regular cab 300/200 s300
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 AM
PSN Local

Thats a cut and paste from the Low buck Diesel page.

All well and good. But 3208 are throw away boat anchors. The turbo engines are terrible for cracking heads. If it doesn't have the dual termostat housing. You better look at fitting up the Dual T-stat housing and ditch the single stat housing.

Luke
-------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CC DRW Lariate 24" Alcoas & Toyos
'98 Freightliner FLB C12 13spd 244"
'73 Chevy RS/Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_ratt View Post
yeah its similar to that one but unfortunately not nearly as long or as cool

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
PSN Local

Everyone says 3208's are throw away boat anchors cause of no sleeves. But heres a fun fact, Duramax's cummins and powerstrokes don't have sleeves either. And the light duty engines are not rated to go 500,000 miles like a 3208. Now yes when comparing it to other heavy duty truck engines its a joke. When comparing to medium duty its not bad. There not awesome but not terrible. We have a 175 hp NA one and it will start down to 0 degrees with no glow plugs or block heater. It is a higher compression though. Not sure on the actual hours but it has to be close to 10,000.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Yes it is a copy paste you are correct. Nowhere did I take credit for it either.. And 3208's are fine motors. Throw away doesn't mean its junk, just thats its cheaper to find a new one if it eats itself.

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:48 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalDiesel View Post
Everyone says 3208's are throw away boat anchors cause of no sleeves. But heres a fun fact, Duramax's cummins and powerstrokes don't have sleeves either. And the light duty engines are not rated to go 500,000 miles like a 3208. Now yes when comparing it to other heavy duty truck engines its a joke. When comparing to medium duty its not bad. There not awesome but not terrible. We have a 175 hp NA one and it will start down to 0 degrees with no glow plugs or block heater. It is a higher compression though. Not sure on the actual hours but it has to be close to 10,000.

The fact you didn't credit the low buck page any were or use quotations makes it look like you said it from your own mouth. I just know thats word for word off his page. so you are taking credit for the information by omission.

I didn'[t say they are boat anchors because they don't have sleeves. They're good for a boat anchor because they are a garbage engine. The older N/A version are slightly more reliable, but as soon as Cat turbocharged them, it was problems on top of problems.

I say that because I've worked on lots of them, I've ever owned one. I would buy and use any DT466 for a medium duty engine.

Luke
-------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CC DRW Lariate 24" Alcoas & Toyos
'98 Freightliner FLB C12 13spd 244"
'73 Chevy RS/Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_ratt View Post
yeah its similar to that one but unfortunately not nearly as long or as cool
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
POWERSTROKEMIKE

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM
PSN Veteran

my bad didn't know I needed to quote everything I've ever read or saved for future reference. The guy asked a question I posted what he was looking for. I see no fault. but to each his own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode