24v cummins into superduty, couple questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

24v cummins into superduty, couple questions

24v, using 24v motor mounts into 99 originally 7.3/auto truck.

No one mentions it, but getting the engine in required yanking the valve cover, getting creative with a hoist bar, and beating the cowl up. Still slid in on the oil pan. Once its in, plenty of room. Are my body mounts just hammered down? They dont look real bad.

Motor mounts vs frame xmember. Motor sitting on the mounts, on the xmember. Still a good amount of oil pan clearance. Its going to be a bit tight to get the trans in (5600, smaller than zf6) but possible with some loving on the trans tunnel. Im thinking 1/2" of clearance between the xmember at the motor mount is a minimum. Assuming I lift the engine 1/4"-1/2", and cut the center out of the plate that will bolt to the xmember, Ill get the clearance. However that makes my trans that much tighter, and brings up the next issue a bit too.

Fan. Severely offset in the shroud. Maybe 1/2" from hitting the shroud on the drivers side, and could stand to go down more as well. Got about 1-1.5" between stock turbo, on flipped manifold to the a/c box.

Good news, valve cover clearance looks good, might actually be easier to pull the valve cover on this swap than on a dodge.

For generous room around the motor mount, and ability to drop the engine a bit, Im seriously considering notching the frame xmember, and boxing it back in. Any one done this, or am I missing something. And yes Im too cheap to buy $300 mounts, nor will the minor tweaks on the engine require better mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: 24v cummins into superduty, couple questions

More tinkering.

Engine it sitting in there pretty good at this point. Suspended I think exactly where it will live. Only things I dont like right now are 2:

1. Engine is not centered, it s offset about 1" from how it sat in the dodge, towards the passenger side. The dodges sit with the valve cover centered, leaving the crank about 1" offset to the passenger side. So Im now at ~2" towards passenger side with the crank. Not terrible, but I can be picky.

2. With the offset, then the fact the fan is offset on the motor to the drive, and the stock ford shroud is offset to passenger side. Ill be require to cut the shroud over 1" to get the fan inside in. Top to bottom room is fine. Tons of room on the passenger side, Ill likely close that in a bit. However, if folks are using stock 7.3 shroud, and stock dodge fan, the motors have got to be sitting with the crank 3"+ offset to the passenger side. Anyone want to measure theirs?

FWIW, Im sitting at 1 1/4" of clearance between the closest part of the turbo and the a/c box.

UPDATE: Going to try something I think. Swapping the mounts side to side. The driver mount sticks about straight off, and is longer. The passenger is angled down, and shorter. Is I swap side to side, I beleive I can have the straight on on the pass side, and the driver side one actually shorter, AND angled UP. We shall see....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
PSN Newb

Take some pics interested in seeing your swap

2002 F-250 XLT 4x4 offroad extended cab short bed
2000 model 7.3L diesel with forged rods
5in turbo back exhaust, 6637 filter, backup camera, gauges, DIY boost fooler($18.94)
NOW delta force (sniper) tuned by me!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Coal Blower

whos mounts are you using?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6881 View Post
Take some pics interested in seeing your swap
Taking pics as I go, Think Ill have to start a thread soon, or Ill start forgetting things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
whos mounts are you using?
Mounts are stock from donor dodge. Now swapped side to side on the engine. Brackets to mount them to the ford are my own. 3/8 plate, and since the mount sits 1/2 way off the frame, Im going to weld an additional support to the stock xmember for the mounts to bolt too. Swapping them got the motor down 1-1.5". Trans is in, no clearancing needed at all, fits easy up there. Just swapped out input on the fords 271 to bolt to the 5600.

Fan shroud is going to be either complete custom, or lots of work on a stock shroud, no way stock will work at all. Inter cooler pipes should be a cake walk, upper rad hose is even easier, and done. Lower rad hose, little bit of work, but pretty easy as well.

Yeah.... getting enough in here, I do need to start a build thread on this thing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode