MPG with 37s and what gear ratio? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

MPG with 37s and what gear ratio?

I have 37-12.5-16.5 on my 00 7.3 .tires on and everything seems to run good but towing with 3.73 gears is not always great.

I searched and didnt find many guys talking about their mpg with 37s and different gear ratios so i was wondering what yall get with 4.10s,4.30s, or 4.56.

Also can tunes help my bigger tires? Can anyone tune for shift points because of the tire and gear ratio? do any of yall run propane injection for mpg increase? i know you will be paying for propane also but something ive been looking into. thanks

I get around 10 city and 15-17 highway..

2000 f250 , 7.3 built trans, K&N intake, warn lock outs, Tonywildman , 4" down pipe to 5" silverline exhaust, ported compressor housing, 07 hd headlights,trans temp, boost, and egt gauges .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: MPG with 37s and what gear ratio?

anyone? please and thanks just trying to see if i want to gear up my truck or not

2000 f250 , 7.3 built trans, K&N intake, warn lock outs, Tonywildman , 4" down pipe to 5" silverline exhaust, ported compressor housing, 07 hd headlights,trans temp, boost, and egt gauges .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Well, seeing as how those tires are going to effectively make your gear ratio something like a 3.12, I know gearing down your axle will help towing and driveability. However, your gearing is likely close to optimal for MPG, maybe a little tall. if you really want to have your cake and eat it too, gear down to like 4.30's and then get a gear vendors overdrive. that way you could tow, and you'd likely get close to 20mpg on the highway.
with those tires, however, don't expect much more in town. that's alot of rotational inertia to overcome.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

yeah i figured that in town i wont see anything much better than that and thats fine with me. Im just trying to get the best bang for my buck right now with the way fuel prices are. I know i should probably just ditch the lift and tires for best MPG but i like the way it looks and its a hell of a lot of work to trade the lift or sell it to buy a stock lift. I guess i will look into seeing what i can do for gears and gear vendors overdrive. Thanks for the advice and help bud

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 AM
PSN Veteran

No problem.
How long is your commute? have you tried just driving like a granny? might not need to spend that kind of dough.
it also may be more intelligent to buy a beater or bike than change the truck. my bike gets me 42-44 mpg and is a blast to ride... if only it would stop raining.

Dan

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

well I play college football in kansas and the commute during the week is slim but during the weekends i go home to MO and work about 30 miles away one way and sometimes tow a 14,000 pound excavator and a 10,000 pound loader so thats the main reason for gearing. I wouldnt mind having a bike but like throwing my extra $ into this damn money pit of a truck more lol.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

need to delete this dang ebpv first though. I can see the black smoke pouring out when its warming up while driving around in the morning. Can i just take the clip off that valve and somehow tie up the lever for the plate ebpv

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Broke!

Im in the same postion you are man, i need gears but never could find out what gear i needed on the forums. i work for a well know 4wheel center and they all recommend i run 4:56's with my 37's. I wish i had done put the gears in to answer your question better but it wont be long before i order the yukons. hope this helps

2004 F-250 6.0, K&N, 5inch turboback exhaust, Fab Fours bumper, SCT, 6.5inch Pro Comp lift, 37-13.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers, KMC Diesels, Air Dog II 165, Autometer Nexus
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Black smoke when warming up? that doesn't sound right to me...

Dan

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

not sitting there. when you are driving and the truck hasnt gotten to running temp. When the ebpv kicks off while im giving it gas it blows black smoke .

So has anyone just ran 430s without gearvendors overdrive? with a lift ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode