203 Thermostat Installation gone Wrong... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

203 Thermostat Installation gone Wrong...

Hey guys I just broke a bolt inside the thermostat housing... Any ideas on how to fix it? Can't move the truck until I fix it and it is my only vehicle... Luckily it is the bolt on the most outside corner.

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 203 Thermostat Installation gone Wrong...

go get a bolt extractor kit should do the trick...

2003 F350 BAMF EDITION
5.9 CR 2.6 Puller
Thanks to
L&L Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Industrial Injection
Farmers Machine
Georend Brothers

2008 F350 Daily/BAMF Tow Rig
Spartan Tuned [email protected] 84.76 1.65 60ft
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f3507.3 View Post
go get a bolt extractor kit should do the trick...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:15 AM
Bigfoot is an OBS

I posted this on TDS about a year ago:

Quote:
Hoorah! I now have cab heat!
I ordered the 203* thermostat & housing Thursday early afternoon, it was waiting when I got home Friday evening.
Dieselsite was extremely fast. I had not yet put my wallet back in my pocket before I was getting confirmation e-mails. And believe me, I am very quick about putting my wallet back before any more money jumps out.

A few note for those who come behind:

a) Drive the truck until the engine is as warm as it will get. This keeps your hands from freezing in 0 deg F weather while you work on it.
b)Take the belt off, it is just easier that way. Almost necessary to get the job done.
c) Dieselsite's instructions are really good. Expecially about how much coolant to drain out.
d) A 3/8 hose is really good for directing the coolant into a bucket instead of across the core support and down onto your chest and face. Make a note to install the hose before you open the drain.
e) When the two bolts on the front of the housing break because they are so badly rusted, they are 6.00MMX1.00 bolts.
f) stuff shop rags into the hole where the thermostat was. This keeps shavings and blood out of the coolant.
g) remove the A/C compressor bolts and move the compressor over. You will need the space for the drill.
h) when walking back to the truck with drill, tap, drill bit, and bolt, do not put the drill bit in your mouth to hold it. Remember how you were warned as a little kid not to lick the metal during winter? Well it's not fun to have your face in front of the kerosene heater waiting for a drill bit to warm up so you can remove it without removing large pieces of your lips.
i) Use a punch to mark the center of the broken bolts as closely as you can before drilling. The tops of what remains of the bolts are rough and the drill will not want to stay centered otherwise.
j) Have patience when tapping. This is not the time to get in a hurry and make another run into town, this time for a tap extractor.

I was really starting to hate this truck when my temp gauge not even getting to the N of Normal. Now it runs almost exactly vertical. I'm in love with the truck all over again.
It's too early to tell if I will see any mileage changes, but it seems that the truck responds slightly better.
All was well until I left to go to Phoenix, Az two months later, and about 1.5 hours into the trip the temp gauge started going down. Ever since then it will fluctuate a lot while I'm driving. The only time it doesn't fluctuate is when I've got a good load on the engine. Usually that means at least 8psi at 70mph, where normal cruising is around 3-4psi. I ain't figgered it out yet.

Go ARMY!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks for all the specifics!!! Now I need to find a 6mm x 1 tab... Harder than what i though

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFOCUSHAULER View Post
thanks for all the specifics!!! Now I need to find a 6mm x 1 tab... Harder than what i though
Lowes is usually good for specialty hardware if there's one around you. I think I got the tap @ sears.

Go ARMY!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Got the tap but can't loosen the belt tensioner... any tips..

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 AM

make sure u turn the tensioned in the correct direction. It is a lot easy if u get a belt tensioner tool from NAPA or somewhere like that. I always used breaker bars, but got tired of almost smashing my fingers, so i bought the tensioner tool and it makes it a snap.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
PSN Veteran

2003 F350 BAMF EDITION
5.9 CR 2.6 Puller
Thanks to
L&L Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Industrial Injection
Farmers Machine
Georend Brothers

2008 F350 Daily/BAMF Tow Rig
Spartan Tuned [email protected] 84.76 1.65 60ft
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'll give it a good try with my 18" breaker bar...

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode