ATF added to fuel tank? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ATF added to fuel tank?

Was talking to an older guy today who drives a cummins- He said that he adds a quart of ATF to each tank of fuel (30 gal saddle tanks) He said he was amazed with the way the truck ran after adding the ATF- "It was like having another turbo on the truck." Said he has done this ever since.

I remember reading about this somewhere- but search turned up nothing. I know that the Cummins will run on anything-
Thanks for your thoughts.
Joel

00 F350- intake,exhaust, pi convertor/ trans
00 F550- dump, intake,exhaust....TN BB exh coated, pi convertor/trans
01 F350- dump, intake,exhaust, BTS v/b, torque conv.
03 F250- CC SB- 5.4 gas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2)- 06 Dodge 2500 CC 5.9 twins/trans/tunes/fuel
03 dodge drag 10.5 fuel only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 AM
MPG Moderator

Re: ATF added to fuel tank?

IMHO, its a waste of money but if he wants to waste his money and risk being cited for untaxed fuel, that's OK.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 AM
<----Colin Banks

As I have stated many times in the past, I will never add anything to my fuel that was not made to combust. And as Dave said, ATF is red and will make the fuel look like off road diesel. That could end up in fines if the tank is checked by highway patrol. If you are looking into a good fuel additive that is able to lubricate fuel and is made to combust, then 2 stroke premix is the way to go. There is a big thread in this forum about it.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Ok, just one question here. I know i have heard of Highway Patrol checking fuel, but i have NEVER heard of one specific situation where this happened. Over all the years, how many people do u know were pulled over and had their fuel checked by them?? I do not know of one person this has happened to. I have owned a diesel pickup for almost 10 years now and it has never happened. Ud really have to be doing something shady for them to even check the fuel.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Vtec

how about just add another turbo

And wow state patrol will do that with a pickup

And i never have ethier

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel Dawg View Post
Ok, just one question here. I know i have heard of Highway Patrol checking fuel, but i have NEVER heard of one specific situation where this happened. Over all the years, how many people do u know were pulled over and had their fuel checked by them?? I do not know of one person this has happened to. I have owned a diesel pickup for almost 10 years now and it has never happened. Ud really have to be doing something shady for them to even check the fuel.
They did it to me 7 years ago cost my boss 20,000 bucks

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via Skype™ to qcfarmer

Been dipped five times in my life, always been clear. Here, it's only the Revenue Agency that dips fuel, not local cops or highway patrol. They usually hang out at the cattle auctions or any other farmer hangout. I have a buddy that does snow removal in Montreal with two Dump trucks, never been checked but as soon as you're in the country, you see them every now and then

2008 F-450, 6-spd, Spartan DD, Powerstroker67 DPF/CAT delete.

1997 F-250 PSD, SB Ex Cab, 5 spd, Open intake, 3" downpipe, 5" single turnout stack, DIY Stage 1's, T.E. modded HPOP, Tuned by Tony, 4" lift, D60- SOLD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

My guess is that the old cummins had some dirty injectors and the ATF helped clean them out. I've been using certain booster with some MMO and added some 2 stroke stuff the other day.

I have never been dipped as well. Maybe in big trucks, but noone is checking pickups/ small dumps around here.

00 F350- intake,exhaust, pi convertor/ trans
00 F550- dump, intake,exhaust....TN BB exh coated, pi convertor/trans
01 F350- dump, intake,exhaust, BTS v/b, torque conv.
03 F250- CC SB- 5.4 gas

(2)- 06 Dodge 2500 CC 5.9 twins/trans/tunes/fuel
03 dodge drag 10.5 fuel only
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM

Every time we service all our trucks, excavators, loaders, etc., I always fill the new fuel filter with ATF, I have always heard it keeps the injectors clean and its less mess than fuel when installing the new filter. Seems to work well on everything, and no trouble if you get dipped.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
PSN Veteran

I was running a 70/30 mix with used ATF and #2..it ran fine..smoked a little more..didn't check mileage..I just used it because it was free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode