Biodiesel sources? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Biodiesel sources?

Is there any kind of cooking oil that can NOT be used to make biodiesel or run in a system like the Vegistroke?

I've been toying with the idea of making some and have a couple of sources for the waste cooking oil. However, one of the sources said someone inquired about using his waste cooking oil before but found out he couldn't use it because of the type of cooking oil it is. My bud's gonna find out what type of oil they're using later tonight.

I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that you could use any type of cooking oil to make biodiesel or use in a Vegistroke-style system. Is this correct?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Starting Over

Re: Biodiesel sources?

You can't use lard like KFC fryer oil it has to be vegi OIL no crisco stuff blah blah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

i thought you could use anything to make bio, but could only use vegie to run strait in your truck?

Danny, on 41 there is a shell selling diesel for $3.59...filled up last weekend bout to go fill up again. might wanna go check it out

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PMRCM#1

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Starting Over

when you are makeing bio you 1st have to titrate the oil to see how much suspended FATTY acids are in the oil.Then once you find out how much methyloxide you need the can start the bio makeing process.lard and solidified burnt to all hell oils are not worth it cause the titration comes out too high and you will yield almost no bio fuel for your efforts.You will have a #### load of waste called glycerin.

That is basic terms I am sure I missed something but that is why you can't use lard and solid fatty material.I know there was a process being developed that was going to use animal fats which included chicked skin but I have been off the beaten path for a few years.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

ahh gotcha. so the less fat, th emore yeild basically, and burned oils are no good.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Starting Over

Pretty much.You have to do the titration.When i was picking up oil I carried the little kit around with me to titrate so I wasn't wasting my time picking up #### oil.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Where can I pick one of those handy kits up at?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Starting Over

You can make your own it is just a mixure of chemicals.I don't know directly where to purchase any.

Quick google search renderdThis

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM

So what processors are you guys running? appleseed?

Swamps, ITP diesel, DP tuner, BTS, Stecher Performance Diesel, DieselSite
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Starting Over

I haven't mixed nothing for over 2 years.I was getting involved with another guy partner up with a fuel miester.The damn thing cost too much and collecting oil was a nasty non enjoyable I would rather pay 3 dollars a gallon deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode