Mileage sucks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Mileage sucks

I have tried about everything I can think of to improve my mileage. No matter what I do, 13 MPG is about tops for the truck. I have a 2002 7.3 4x4 crewcab with single shot stage 2 injectors, big oil and complete new fuel system. I did much of this in hopes of improving mileage but 13 is it no matter how I drive.. I hear others pulling 18-20 or more MPG just wonder if I can get some tips on what to check to change to do better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Mileage sucks

have you checked your tire pressure, fuel filter and oil filter? Are you driving it easy?

2000 F250 EX LB 4x4 XLT
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00PSD1 View Post
have you checked your tire pressure, fuel filter and oil filter? Are you driving it easy?
Filters are all brand new with less than 200 miles on them. Tire pressure is good.. I recently drove to Seattle and kept it right at 65, still pulled 13.5

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Engineering College Boy

Send a message via AIM to Got Diesel Send a message via MSN to Got Diesel

Check your brakes, make sure they aren't dragging. Check to make sure you aren't stuck in 4x4 or something along those lines. Check sensors, like map, ambient air temp. Things like that can throw mileage way out of whack.

Kyle
Early 99 F-250SD 7.3 PSD 4x4. Auto, tymar type intake, straight pipe, Six inch stacks, Tony Wildman Four position chip, Street race, 80 Tow, 80 Econo, Extreme. Let the smoke roll. Upgraded torque converter. Autometer Ultralights on the Pillar. Running Cooper Discover STT's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLAPS MEMBER
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Maybe Jody can make you a mileage tune? You don't say what transmission you have, but for an automatic earlier shifts will help in the city.

Go ARMY!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Banning Smut

hmm......buy a 1500 Honda Accord and park the truck during the week?

j/k Best I can muster with my hybrids is 14 mixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
I have tried about everything I can think of to improve my mileage. No matter what I do, 13 MPG is about tops for the truck. I have a 2002 7.3 4x4 crewcab with single shot stage 2 injectors, big oil and complete new fuel system. I did much of this in hopes of improving mileage but 13 is it no matter how I drive.. I hear others pulling 18-20 or more MPG just wonder if I can get some tips on what to check to change to do better.
My truck described in my sig.... 13-13.5 mpg no matter what I do. I drive like a jerk or like I'm in a funeral procession, the milage is the same every time I fuel up. I need to have Jody retune my chip beacuse my 80economy setting is pretty hot and fast. I can drive in the 80econo and it's fast as heck and smokes like a train. I hope Jody can calm down the tune so maybe I'll be able to get some better mileage. What do you guys think, will tuning possibly yeild me some better numbers??

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD

How big are your tires? Is your speedometer correct? How are you calculating milage?

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolPSD View Post
How big are your tires? Is your speedometer correct? How are you calculating milage?
My tires are 35's and the speedometer is 3mph slower than I'm actually going. I've tried to do the math to figure out how many miles I would be "short" on the odometer because of the mph difference and it's not that much so I don't think the 3mph would make a real big difference. I'm calculating milage by hand, miles devided by gallons pumped.

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts

There is part of your problem. You aren't factoring in the mileage loss on the odometer. Assuming you had 265/75r16 for stock and you are running 315/75r16 (35x12.5r16) your speedo is low by 8.53%. For example if you get 350 miles per tank, you are actually traveling 379-380 miles per tank.

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode