Who here gets higher MPG's and what is your secret? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Who here gets higher MPG's and what is your secret?

I'm a newbie who just bought his first 7.3 yesterday. I'm wondering what some of your tricks are for getting the most MPG's out of your truck.

What are some of the inexpensive ways to start with?

And what are some of the other more expensive ways to improve MPG?

If this has been discussed 10 billion times already, I apologize.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
PSN Local

Re: Who here gets higher MPG's and what is your secret?

Dave is probably going to be the most help but it all depend on how much you really want to get the economy and how much you want to sacrify for it. DAve is getting about 24-26 mpg but he has a 4"/6" drop plus a rubber airdam and a fastback along with being 2wd 6 speed and having a 3.08 final drive. Some inexpensive tricks is fill the tires to max pressure that is posted on the side wall, don't accel to fast, be smooth, If you are a stick dont understimate the power of coasting. Driving style has to do a lot on diesel engines. Then there are the small stuff like 203 THermostat. Dave will probably be able to give you more details

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
OBS junkie

First of all what truck/gearing/tires do you have? I hope you didn't buy youtr truck thinking you can get 25mpg everyday under normal driving. For starters the first thing I would do is get a straight pipe or free flow muffler on there. Then a homemade Tymar intake, it will pull all the air that you'll need & costs around $50. Next you can look at something like a DP Tuner with a few mild tunes on it to give you alittle more juice. If you can keep your foot out of the throttle the chip can help with mpg.
The one thing I've found that helps better than anything though is to keep the RPMs below 2000 if you can. Reving it up to 2600rpms through every gear might make you go quicker but it also cuts back your mpg as well.

Welcome to The Nation by the way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Cute and cuddly boys!

Send a message via Yahoo to mazdaparts

X2 on what Cat and Infocus said. Driving style definitely has a lot to do with MPG. Ease off from a dead stop, coasting, drive smooth through the corners, and keep a steady speed.
Don't expect your truck to get in the 20's without a lot of help. This winter I averaged 14-15 mixed driving. I do expect it to increase here shortly when we get off the winter fuel. But I only expect a 1-2 mpg increase.

2002 F250 Crewcab Shortbed 4X4 Totaled 6/16/12
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

There are 2 rules to getting ahead.
Rule #1. Don't tell anyone everything you know.
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
OBS junkie

Yep, winter will cut it down 1-2mpg on avd. Between the warmups, cold weather, winter fuel it all hurts these trucks. Alot of town driving will cut it down too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott

Quote:
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

What kind of truck did you get? OBS or the not so cool Superduty

Basically what everyone has said so far. Driving like granny has helped me keep MPG somewhat decent in winter. It has been getting better though since warmups are really needed anymore. I always like when people follow me going the speed limit then haul ass and go around me. Thats when you crank thee ole TS up to the race tuen hahaha

No longer a proud member of PSN.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
The Stig

Send a message via AIM to BFD99 Send a message via MSN to BFD99

Why you calling the Superduty not cool? I think its way cooler than the OBS, but to each his own!

2006 Ram 5.9L 2wd Gogodiesel, Garmon's Diesel
2010 Dually 6.4L, Gogodiesel, KEM Tuned
post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
4x4
PSN Local

A couple of tips:

Cetane boost additive
Light weight tires
Non-lifted truck
No canopy/open tailgate

Steve

1996 F350, CC, LB, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" MT's, 4.10, 3" DP, Tymar in.....
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
Why you calling the Superduty not cool? I think its way cooler than the OBS, but to each his own!
I get to drive both on a regular basis & like them in there own seprate ways.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott

Quote:
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 AM
MPG Moderator

Welcome to the Nation, Adirondacker. You’ll find lots of good info and little BS.

Good fuel mileage is just like other performance. It is just another corner of the performance envelope. There is an old hot-rodders’ saying that goes something like: Speed is a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?” Fuel economy is the same way. There are some cheap things, but they are not as potent as the more expensive things.

Here’s some cheap stuff that works for everybody.
1. Air up your tires to the max on the sidewall. These trucks are very sensitive to tire inflation, particularly at lower speeds. I run 100 psi in my E-rated Firebombs, but I don’t recommend that for any but the truly economy-crazed. Firebombs are better overinflated than underinflated but that may vary from brand to brand.
2. Run with your tailgate up. Running with it down makes a huge low-pressure area behind the cab that sucks you back. More on beds as you get into the stuff that costs money.
3. At all costs, keep your engine RPM below 2000. The 7.3 in particular sucks fuel above 2000 RPM. For a truck with 3.73 gears and OEM-size rubber that means 70 MPH.
4. Get a pyrometer and install it pre-turbo. Drive to keep EGT below 600 degrees. This works, but will make acceleration a leisurely thing.
5. Get and install a 203 degree thermostat. Bob Riley’s Diesel Site sells one.
6. Disable your EBPV. There is an electrical connector under your turbo. Disconnect it and tape both ends up. This gains you 2 MPG in the winter but will require longer warm-up times.
7. Speaking of warm-ups: Don’t. Diesels idle so efficiently that they will simply not warm up without load. Once she has oil pressure (without it the engine won’t run) put it in gear and drive away easy.
8. If you get caught at a railroad crossing (like I seem to do all too often) or something similar where you won’t move for three or more minutes, shut ‘er down. Idling takes fuel.
9. In summer it is better to run with the AC on than with the windows down at highway speeds. Below 35 MPH, open the windows and turn off the AC, depending on conditions.

Tell us something about your rig and we can zero in other things we know works.

Configuration: 4x4 or 4x2? Regular cab, SuperCab, or Crew Cab? Short or long bed?
Transmission: Automatic or manual?
Model Year of truck It matters
Tire size and make.
Axles and gearing.

What is the mission for your truck? Some guys seem to use them as junior tractors for trailers. Some tow intermittently. Some just haul bed loads. Some use them as overgrown grocery-getters. For years, I had a hard tonneau and joked about the truck being the world’s largest VW Jetta. If you don’t have a clue, admit it. Most of us started out clueless.

How much do you intend to drive this truck? I put down 2500 miles a month. That justifies a lot of mods.

Where do you intend to drive this truck? The handle would indicate upstate NY but handles can be deceiving.

I don’t know if this is your first diesel or just your first 7.3. Diesels are different and require different thinking.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode