Something not right here....or is it? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Here for the party....

Something not right here....or is it?

My mileage has gone through the roof recently and I cannot figure out why. My truck has the mods in sig, 3.73 gears and I guess what are basically 32" tall tires. All towing is gone in Matt's tow tune as well. Normally, if I drive like grandpa, I am lucky to hit high 9's dragging my trailer down the road...typically. Loaded/empty, it doesnt matter! This last trip, I kept cruise control at 66 mph, or 1900 rpm give or take....24' enclosed car trailer that weighs about 4k lbs empty, with a 3k lb car inside. I departed from Santa fe, nm topped off on fuel and reset my trip on my gps...I cruised at 66, no downshifting on hills, truck pulled any hill in overdrive...got into Santa Rosa, nm 109.1 miles later, topped off....7.9 gallons, that's 13.66 mpg for those following along. Second leg of the trip, Santa Rosa to tx state line, I forget the mileage, but it was right under 12. (lots of hills) anyways, my last tank, tye, tx to my front door (189 miles) only took 14.8 gallons. This is topped off to the very tip top, driven with a very tender foot, etc....is this #### even possible?! Or has my truck found a secondary fuel to run on that is offsetting fuel consumption???

Thanks,
Jason

2015 Chevrolet Tahoe, Crystal Red Tintcoat, LOADED
2014 Ford Mustang GT, 5.0, Race Red, 6 speed

Currently Stroke-less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 AM
<----My last CT scan

Re: Something not right here....or is it?

The very tender foot part of your post is usually what gets me the best mpg's towing or not.

Maybe you were going down hill with a tail wind the entire way

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Here for the party....

It is possible...I mean if you look at any map, it is straight down from nm to tx, so that does make sense!

I guess the biggest part I can't believe, is this mpg occures at the 65/66 borfderline (gps kept bouncing back and forth), but kick it up two mph to 67/68, and I would literally be single digits again.

Currently Stroke-less

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
<----My last CT scan

Well you found your trucks sweet spot for towing. I know comming back from Texarkana I always get about 1 mpg better than when we go up there. On our way up to Texarkana today I am gonna see how many mpg's I can squeeze out of my truck until my wife starts yelling at me to speed up.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 AM
<----My last CT scan

Cruise control - Powerstroke Nation

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Traffic conditions figure in as well. I've run through Chicago on I94, 0300 in the morning, at the speedlimit and no traffic, average 6.9 from Gary In to Waukegan Il.
Later the same day around 1000, I came back through, down to 4.8 due to stop and go traffic, and my trailer was empty. I don't normally watch my mileage like that, I was trying to prove a pointe to another driver, that being, to bypass downtown and go around. That has nothing to do with this thread though.

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Here for the party....

Oh I know how stop and go traffic can affect fuel mileage. I try to keep the left door shut and marathon it. Don't fly down the road, I learned a long time ago, setting the cruise slower, and only stopping when necessary, gets you to point b, faster than the guy who flys down the road, burning more fuel and wearing you out quicker.

Currently Stroke-less
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 AM
<----Nice headlights!!!

Im not in a hurry to get anywhere...im gonna get there no matter how fast I go. The cold weather is still killing my mileage though. Lots of idling...winter blend...mall hopping....all them=poor mpg's.

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Olde gear jammer

Location: Barton City Mi, under a rock or a log, where the skies are sometimes cloudy all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mighty View Post
Oh I know how stop and go traffic can affect fuel mileage. I try to keep the left door shut and marathon it. Don't fly down the road, I learned a long time ago, setting the cruise slower, and only stopping when necessary, gets you to point b, faster than the guy who flys down the road, burning more fuel and wearing you out quicker.
That's the way. Amazing how the same guy goes around you X number of times, doesn't it?

Another nonaligned spokesperson.

Good stuff, trucks bring it!

I don't care if my thread goes off topic, it's all BS anyway!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode