Cetane boost vs. 2stroke oil - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Cetane boost vs. 2stroke oil

Recently I noticed my truck seemed sluggish and eventually I could swear that the mpg was much worse just by how fast the gas gauge was moving.
Then I remembered I had been running without Cetane Boost as I had recently run out. I had run two bottles of the stuff, which treated some 200+ gallons, that I had purchased at Ford. I noticed right away that the truck had more power with the booster and got just under 18 mpg on a trip from Portland to Seattle and back.

I decided to try another brand of Cetane Boost and also grabbed some 2 stroke oil to compare the two for mileage. I know the idea of 2stroke is not to improve mileage but I was curious. In one tank I put 12 oz. of oil and in the other a moderate dose of boost.

I went 140 miles on the oil tank and noticed nothing. I parked the truck overnight and when I started it in the morning there seemed to be more than normal smoke and the engine was just as noisy, if not more so. It took me 10 gallons to top off that tank again.

I then went 165 miles on the boost tank with considerably more stop and go and mountain roads in that trip. It didn't take me long to notice the increase in power and it took me just under 10 gallons to top off that tank. I really think I would have easily gotten 17+ mpg of just hwy. driving on the boost tank.

Still, I am curious as to the long term advantages of the oil. I am doing another trip next week and I plan to run the two together for the duration and report the outcome, if anyone is interested.

Steve

Steve

1996 F350, CC, LB, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" MT's, 4.10, 3" DP, Tymar in.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Diesel junkie!!!

Re: Cetane boost vs. 2stroke oil

I have using both Cetane booster and 2 stroke oil combined. Not a real noticable MPG gain, but the engine seems to like the combination.

Jon
2012 F-350 4x4 CC/SB Tuxedo Black Metallic: ENJOYING
2001 F-350 4x4 LB/SC Red 6-speed: SOLD
2004 Jetta TDI: DAILY DRIVER
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
<----Simply the best.

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

I havent run the Cetane but have run 2 stroke and didnt really notice a difference in quiteness at all.

No longer a proud member of PSN.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 PM
PSN Veteran

im gona try some of that Schaeffers Premium SOy Shield stuff. Almost 100&#37; soy product.

2002 F250 7.3 PSD
Dyno Proven Tunes
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 PM
PSN Local

I believe the noise reduction will mainly be noticed in a superduty. That is my experience with the oil anyway.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 AM
The Unseen Mod

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250

Ya the oil doesnt really add much mpg is mainly to give some lub to the ULSD I run it but 1oz per gallon yes it smokes a little more but its runs a little smoother at times and quite but hard to tell now with my upgraded injectors lol before it worked good for me.

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 PM
HEARING IMPAIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Recently I noticed my truck seemed sluggish and eventually I could swear that the mpg was much worse just by how fast the gas gauge was moving.
Then I remembered I had been running without Cetane Boost as I had recently run out. I had run two bottles of the stuff, which treated some 200+ gallons, that I had purchased at Ford. I noticed right away that the truck had more power with the booster and got just under 18 mpg on a trip from Portland to Seattle and back.

I decided to try another brand of Cetane Boost and also grabbed some 2 stroke oil to compare the two for mileage. I know the idea of 2stroke is not to improve mileage but I was curious. In one tank I put 12 oz. of oil and in the other a moderate dose of boost.

I went 140 miles on the oil tank and noticed nothing. I parked the truck overnight and when I started it in the morning there seemed to be more than normal smoke and the engine was just as noisy, if not more so. It took me 10 gallons to top off that tank again.

I then went 165 miles on the boost tank with considerably more stop and go and mountain roads in that trip. It didn't take me long to notice the increase in power and it took me just under 10 gallons to top off that tank. I really think I would have easily gotten 17+ mpg of just hwy. driving on the boost tank.

Still, I am curious as to the long term advantages of the oil. I am doing another trip next week and I plan to run the two together for the duration and report the outcome, if anyone is interested.

Steve
Hey man just stop wasting your time and money with all that crap. First off, Your not going to be able to notice a difference in your mileage until you put like 3 straight tanks of ONE product through. And yea, with all that stuff in your tank what did you expect that morning you started it? A clean burn. Alot of the things you put in there have settled to the bottom overnight. Anyways off the soap box. I run at least one quart of 10w30 or 40 per fill up. I have seen a 2 mpg gain since the ever so awesome ULSD. It has taken my rig to where it was mpg wise before ULSD came out. So just start going to wal mart and getting a few quarts for $1.53 and dump one in when you fill up. It will help lube everything up also.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

'75 F-100 Custom. Restoration/Project Build

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have enough stickers to make 400HP
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 AM
PSN Veteran

I would think the 2 stroke would be better just because its designed to burn whereas the 10-30 isnt??? tell me if im wrong

2002 F250 7.3 PSD
Dyno Proven Tunes
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:00 AM
HEARING IMPAIRED

this is a diesel. The only thing it wont run on is water. Just do it. trust me.

2003 PSD 7.3 L, STRAIGHT PIPE, BD POWER DIGITAL X-MONIOR, TS 6 POS CHIP, BHAF, IDM MOD, 10K MOD, SOME CHROME.

Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 AM
HEARING IMPAIRED

I have seen a diesel filled to cutoff with gasoline and when the idiot realized what he did I told him to fill it to the top of the neck with ATF. Of course that was a 12v. But it ran fine.

Daniel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode