What should I expect in MPG - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What should I expect in MPG

I just purchased an 03 F250 SD Crew Cab SB FX4 7.3L. I'm not sure if it has a lift or if it's just the stock FX4 lift. Tires are 265 75R 16, rear end is the 3.73 limited slip. Miles are 174,000. Driving home from the lot last night, I set the cruise to 65 (the speed limit). There wasn't much traffic, so I didn't stop or slow down a lot. There were a few hills, but not many. I calculated my MPG to be 16. Is this normal for an FX4? I was hoping for 20 MPG (It's how I sold my wife on the purchase), my 00 F150 4x4 only gets 15. My dad has a bone stock 99 F250 2x4 and he gets 26 hwy all the time. I am looking at buying a tonneau cover and a programmer tonight in search of 20 MPG. I checked my tire pressure this morning and it was set to 60, I filled it up to the max recommended pressure of 80.

As for as a programmer I'm looking at: EDGE Evolution II Programmer, Superchips Cortex, BANKS BIG HOSS MODULE, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, SCT SF3 Flash Tuner, DiabloSport Predator. I'm leaning towards the SCT SF3. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: What should I expect in MPG

Thats probly wright on your milage there not light trucks. You might get alitttle more depending on how you drive it. Dont spend money on those tuners get a custom tuner TS/DP tuner from one of our sponsors on hear.

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdmike View Post
Thats probly wright on your milage there not light trucks. You might get alitttle more depending on how you drive it. Dont spend money on those tuners get a custom tuner TS/DP tuner from one of our sponsors on hear.
If I buy the SCT SF3 Flash Tuner, then I can purchase a custom tune and use the programmer to write it to the PCM correct?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

OK, bought and installed a chip and cold air intake along with a boost releif valve. Order a bed cover, that should be in today. I have a 900 mile road trip coming up so I'll keep you guys posted on the increase of MPGs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM
PSN Local

Can't wait to see the new ride bro

99 Ford F-250 AEM Cold Air Intake, Straight Pipe, Superchip, Incubus alloy 22"s, 8000k Hids, Rockfordfosgate 12" sub on 1800 watts and 4 Kicker 6x9's on 400 watts and Pioneer head unit

University Of New Orleans Mechanical Engineering Major

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun powerstroker View Post
Can't wait to see the new ride bro
3 more days and I'll be back in God's country!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 AM
PSN Veteran

What chip did you end up getting?

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 AM
PSN Newb

Thats about the mileage i used to get on the highway. With the dp tuner, intake and exhaust i get roughly 20 on the highway ive got bigger tires and that doesnt really help but i tend to take it easy driving around. it all really depends on how you drive, how fast, and how much you mash the pedal from a stop.

Early '99 F-250 PowerStroke DP Tuner, 99.5 conversion with Garrett 38r BB, Isspro Guages Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp MBRP 4" exhaust straight piped, 6637 Intake, Harley headlights, 315 75 R16 tires, 2.5" leveling kit

1983 Mercedes Benz 300D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode