Yet Another Pickup Truck Aero Idea - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

Yet Another Pickup Truck Aero Idea

This one is aimed at a more limited market but one that may be more motivated.

Around Indiana one sees a lot of “driveaways.” These are heavy pickups delivering RVs. They are late-model dually one-ton pickups – mostly Dodge and Ford. Almost all are diesels. They hook up a big (up to 36 foot) towable RVs and haul them from Elkhart to as far as the Gulf Coast. They have fifth wheels installed in the bed and usually have auxiliary fuel tanks and tool boxes as well.

The driveaway business never has backhaul. They have to deadhead back to home. These big pickups get about 10 MPG pulling these rolling barns and usually no better than 13 MPG unloaded.

There is little improvement I could offer to them while hooked to a trailer shaped like a Wheaties box on steroids, but on the way back they could benefit from aerodynamically cleaning up the bed.

What I envision is something like a “headache rack” and side and tailgate rails and snaps to support a sloped soft tonneau over the bed while running unloaded. Basically, a folding version of my bed fairing.

Driveaway drivers are used to relying 100% on side mirrors, so the solid bed cover would be nothing unusual.

When towing fifth wheel trailers these trucks cannot have “headache racks” because of trailer clearance, but if the “headache rack were folded down while loaded it could be erected for the deadhead home.

I would have the “headache rack” folded down over the auxiliary fuel tank with the tonneau rolled up while loaded. When unloaded the driver driver erects the rack and fastens it in place with door bolts. He then pulls the tonneau out and snaps it onto the snaps on the side and tailgate racks. Viola! A slick shape for the trip home. Five minutes up and five minutes down. He gains 3 MPG from having up on the drive home. For a 800 mile trip at $3.70/gal that represents about $43 per trip less fuel cost.

Whaddaya think?

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to BMac Send a message via MSN to BMac Send a message via Skype™ to BMac
Re: Yet Another Pickup Truck Aero Idea

sounds like an interesting idea! everyone's tryin to get that extra mpg now a days so there would probably be a market for it

People Fly Airplanes, Pilot's Fly Helicopters

2002 F350 Extended Cab Shortbed
1977 Early Bronco
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
OBS junkie

I like your thinkin Dave, just need to find you a beta tester with a large Dually that would be willing to try it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:01 AM
PSN Local

I was thinking something similar to a convertible top but for the bed.... Will be making some sketches to see if it is fesable...

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
PSN Local

The new guy will fit right in here. I'm not a driveaway, but I make anywhere from 30 to 60 runs a year to the Elkhart area from the northwoods, 1000 mi trips. I want to get my mpg up over 20 empty on the trip down. I'm working on a wind spoiler made out of an old topper to push the air up over the units. I think this will get me a couple or more pulling because the biggest drag is wind. You start to get over 60mph and the drag really goes up I have learned. Plus I am always driving into the western wind loaded. My goal in live besides my family right now is mpg in this thing. A couple here and there will save 1000'$$$$. over time. I get 17 empty at 72, need one more gear with the 4.10's, I'm working on it. Just installed the hyperpac computer, dont know what it will do yet, find out this week. No smoke on any settings yet, we will see, I'm sure the ram air is helping with that. What a difference in perf. already. I have never dropped below 10mpg pulling anything yet and I know there is room for improvement. P.s sure wish there was a better way around Chicago that was not to far out of the way(CRAZY TRAFFIC)

Early 99 SC dually 2wd XLT ZF6sp 4.10s Hyperpac tuner, selfdesign fender twin ram air, tonneau cover 350,000 mi RV hauler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode