2011 Dmax fuel economy - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

2011 Dmax fuel economy

Got 6400 miles on the 2011 2500 cclb.... This mornings fill up was from yesterday being driven empty... a not so stellar 13...far from the bragged 20...we've gotten 17 empty once... towing is usually at 10 or 11...but once cruising at 65 it goes up a little, according to the in dash computer.

We've had to fill the 'piss' bottle three times too. Supposed to last thousands of miles I thought? Anywho...It handles better than the 09 we have but the power difference isnt noticeable. We already have some binding/vibrating issues when taking off. Im assuming its driveshaft related.

Its a nice truck but Im unsure of it still.

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 2011 Dmax fuel economy

The more you tow the more you have to fill the bottle from what I was told.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
MPG Moderator

About 2,000 miles on a bottle of urea?

How much does a bottle set you back?

How often does the exhaust filter thingy regen?

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

they say that a bottle/tank of urea will last 5k miles...thats under the guise that you will get over 15mpg. More fuel you use the more urea. The exhaust sounds different than the 10 and older too. More swishy...

Im assuming that the dealerships would like to fill the urea bottle at your 5kmile scheduled service. I dont know how much that CRAP is per bottle.

The 11 is pulling all the time...so I think that is lengthening the duration of time between regens...in the 11 Ive only been aware of it once...I dont ride in it all the time tho. Just most of the time...ha ha

That thing pulls like a friggin freight train is all IM gonna say. Stopping is, meh, alright at best. There was some weird green dust/film on the pass side near the tailpipe. Im not sure if it came out of the exhaust though.

I dont like the frontend on htis truck. That is my biggest dislike. The lights look like an afterthought....

post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 AM
MPG Moderator

Why didn't you get a Powerstroke?

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whitmer View Post
Why didn't you get a Powerstroke?
Its my bosses truck...I asked them why they didnt get the 'good' kind...two of the foreman are diehard chevy guys. The one who has the 2011 simply said "we have two short guys. One can barely get in the toolboxes now. That ford sits alot higher. He wouldnt be able to reach the ladder racks".

That is why we have all dmax's...whatever..

post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 AM
MPG Moderator

My Powerstroke is the only Ford I've ever owned and they are different from Chevvies.

Built like a tank. And as heavy as one. 258,000 miles and no major problems since they worked out the CPS.

I have a nice 96 Impala SS but it feels cheesy compared to the Super Duty.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

They are overbuilt, no doubt, but they are good trucks, imo. The ford that is.

The new chebby is right at 400 horses. We have an 09 that supposed to have 375...the 07's are 350...the 09&11 feel the same when accelerating which is much more gutsy than the 07. Even with the dpf they have more power. I will say the 11 psd I was testdriving felt like it had more power. The dmax just feels swishy on the accelerator...

post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

We put the weatherguard boxes/ladder rack in the second 2011 Chevy dmax cc/lb and took it to our window job this morning in Bloomingdale, IL. Its a granite colored unit with black interior. The inside of this one is nice to look at for now. The power is more crisp. The older '11 feels swisy and blah on the pedal and goes thru urea catalyst at a rate of twice the advertised rate. This new one sits higher, runs better and actually looks better.

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
<----Nice headlights!!!

New update on the 2011 duramaxes that we are using for work: #2(purchased about a month ago) has a shade under 2k miles on it. #1 is, believe it or not, sniffing 10k! I didnt realize we'd gone that far in it already. Today when I showed up for work neither of them were there. The one 06(spare), the 07(hooked up to a tandem axle,16' enclosed trailer), and one of the guys personal 07 dodge 6.7 were enlisted for todays job. The 2011's were both froze up. We were blaming the fuel but they were all fueled up the same place the day before. We arent sure if the urea catalyst froze or the diesel gelled. My guess is numero uno. Frozen catalyst. Its freezing point is 17*. Bosch said the fords have an insulated tank that they draw the urea into upon shutdown or if the fluid reaches a certain temp to avoid freezing. They couldnt give any info about the gm.

Anybody feel free to chime in! Four dmax's were filled up with at least 20gal of diesel from the same station, same pump and two identical ones gelled the older ones did not.

I did blame and verbally place blame on the guys running the trucks even though none of the four trucks were given additives. I told them a month ago, several times, to quit running bio and buy the 100% petrol from the sister station in town. Laziness prevailed and the trucks wouldnt run.

Anybody seen anything similar? I know the older trucks we had did wax/clog filters but again you cant rely on the service station to provide fuel that wont wax. Even though they should. Kerosene works well for that....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode