what to look for next - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

what to look for next

Ok so besides the normal response to the question of how to get better mpg (change fluids/filters/light foot) what would be the next thing to look for in improving your mpg's?.Here is what I was thinking could be hurting my mpg and I'll be the first to admit I could be way off, Tranny shop said code truck was showing was a weak T.C. (big surprise),and I'm pretty sure all my boots are factory and have no idea how much boost I'm running, will these two things play a big part in your mileage? and I know that there could be a 1000 different factors that play into this and as I am getting 15-16 now I realize that this is not bad but I just didn't want to overlook anything .

So what I do know (or think I know is going on)

03,7.3, 4x4, CC, 240,000, 3.73
stock height/tires
TS 6 pos (kept on lowest setting 90% of time, not stock- 60hp?)
original tranny (I think, not sure how to check or tell besides the fact it's relatively clean is the only reason I question it's not original)
zoodad,tymar
new icp
fluids synthetic/changed religiously
Pretty sure I don't have any brakes hanging up
bearings hubs new
203 deg thermostat

So should I just be happy with 15-16 mpg or is there some sensor/part that could be checked/replaced that is often overlooked?

thanks for any input/ideas

Last edited by rogerm311; 08-04-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 AM
MPG Moderator

Re: what to look for next

Air your tires up to the pressure on the sidewall. These trucks are sensitive to tire pressure.

Get a tonneau cover if you can live with it.

Beyond that, you are pretty well stuck.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'll check the pressure again today, as far as tire's when I need my next set I'm going to take your suggestion about the bfg long trail's and see how the work out, right now I have goodyear wrangler duratrac's on it which I been pretty happy with but may be a little aggressive for my needs dumb question and I'm not thinking a radical change in tire size but if you increased the diameter or height of the tire a little bit does that help or just stick with stock?. I've been pricing covers just trying to save up to get the metal roll up type but may just have to go with the fabric one and save a butt load of money.

CC
Rosewood injectors
4.11 gears
4" mbrp
TS 6 pos
zoodad,tymar
hutch/harpoon mod
foil delete
door chime mod
bright light mod
160 amp alternator
203 degree thermo
high torque starter

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

while I'm already at it here is another dumb question, when hand calculating mpg (I use an app on my iphone to track and calculate at each fill up and it keeps the history) is it more accurate when I fill up to put the same amount in each time say 25 exactly whether the fuel handle clicks off or not? or is it whether I put in 22.678 gal one time and the next it's 26.482 it doesn't matter because it's about gal versus miles. The reason I ask is because if I'm in a hurry one day and just fill till it clicks the next time I'll let it settle for a minute or truck is parked on downward pitch when filling and I get more in.

CC
Rosewood injectors
4.11 gears
4" mbrp
TS 6 pos
zoodad,tymar
hutch/harpoon mod
foil delete
door chime mod
bright light mod
160 amp alternator
203 degree thermo
high torque starter
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM
PSN Local

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you MUST fill it till the handle shuts off. Otherwise you don't know exactly how much you really used for the miles you have just logged in. (and that is assuming that it was "topped off when you reset trip to log your miles in the first place)

Allen
2008 F-250 6.4L C.C./S.B.
Southern Comfort Custom Painted 2-Tone
6"Lift 35's on 20" Pro-Comp Wheels
Coming Very Soon......Spartan and some other goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
PSN Local

Either fill to the brim or one click of the pump. Those are the accepted methods to fill. The one click method will give inconsistant readings, so it will take about 5 tanks to get an idea of where you are at. I try to use the same pump at the same station on the same day every week. Better yet is an instant mpg readout like Scangauge II, I use it and love it. I have been averageing 17mpg (hand calculated) in my 2000 Ex. 4x4, this is 80% city driving, and the injectors are failing, so I'd say you have some room to grow. It only has a 6637 filter and 4" turbo back. I might not drive like you, I get it up over 40mph as quick as is reasonable, then take it real easy on the throttle. I time lights, coast as long as possible up to them (long enough that most folks think I'm crazy) and try to use DFCO as much as possible. Better driving habits is the big winner for me, for the Ex. I'm driving I'd say it the difference between 14mpg and 17mpg. I'm sure Dave can help you out with some PSD specific tips as well, I'm still learning and have only put 4K on the Ex.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
PSN Local

The difference between filling until the pump clicks and filling to the top is MORE THAN FOUR GALLONS. It is amazing that the Ford tank is so poor in this regard.

I spend the extra few minutes with the pump handle passing fuel at a slow rate to top up the tank until it just barely overflows. 4-5 gallons can be the difference between making it to where you're going and having to stop for fuel with a trailer. I hate doing that.

Always fill to the same fullness to get dependable mpg figures.

If you have an F350 maybe consider converting to an F250 by swapping out the rear blocks to lower the rear end out of the airstream. I did it this spring and really like the lower bed height.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
PSN Local

U R right, i wrote "until the pump shuts off" but yeah, you gotta try yo fill it to the same point and the best way to do it is watch it start to come out the filler... But he (rogerm311) earlier made the comment like "putting exactly 25 gallons" but that definitely doesn't even give you anything to calculate. It's just an arbitrary number of gallons he would put in the truck.

Allen
2008 F-250 6.4L C.C./S.B.
Southern Comfort Custom Painted 2-Tone
6"Lift 35's on 20" Pro-Comp Wheels
Coming Very Soon......Spartan and some other goodies

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 PM
MPG Moderator

Filling til it shuts off gives too much scope for variation. Angle of nozzle and how far you stuck it in affect when it shuts off.

The brim is always the brim and a half-inch variation doesn't mean much.

NEVER EVER believe a one or two fill-up test. The fewer fill-ups the more the variation in how you filled it matters.

If you use a four-tank test the only time how you fill it that matter are the forst one and the last one. All other variations average out.

If your MPG is so lousy that that last quart or so matters, you have a fuel-hog.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Last edited by Dave Whitmer; 08-07-2010 at 05:54 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the input and will start filling it up to the brim every time, since filling the tank up to the same amount each time is it important wouldn't you need to refill with approximately the same amount remaining each time for instance with 5 gallons left or 1/8th tank being that there would be a huge difference in mileage if you ran it down to a 1/16th as opposed to a 1/4? maybe I'm being to anal about it but just wanted to get it as accurate as possible

CC
Rosewood injectors
4.11 gears
4" mbrp
TS 6 pos
zoodad,tymar
hutch/harpoon mod
foil delete
door chime mod
bright light mod
160 amp alternator
203 degree thermo
high torque starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode