Why I Strive For MPG With A Super Duty - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

Why I Strive For MPG With A Super Duty

People ask me why I don't just trade the truck in on a little car.

I'll tell you why: There are idiots out there. There is an inexhaustible supply of them and if you drive enough you WILL find one.

Needless to say, I had a close one this morning. Driving down a slushy road two cars pass me (I'm going about 50). Up ahead they catch two more cars. Suddenly, lots of brake lights. One of them does a nice 540 and winds up in my lane driving toward me.

Long story short, the anti-locks saved this guy's butt. I stopped 20ft short of him. If I had hit that Corolla, I would have walked away and had to scrape crone & codger goo out of my AC condensor. With belts, air bag and 7500 lbs, no way I get the worst of the encounter.

I'll stick with my econo-tank. I'm not ready for the Promised Land just yet.

But you guys already know that.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak
Re: Why I Strive For MPG With A Super Duty

good thing your ok. i just got a letter in the mail from the insurance company saying my premium would be reduced due to a lack of bodily injury claims in ford f250's.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Stimulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak View Post
good thing your ok. i just got a letter in the mail from the insurance company saying my premium would be reduced due to a lack of bodily injury claims in ford f250's.

I hope I get one of those, lol.

In response to Dave, This is why my vehicles get progressively bigger. I don't feel safe in anything smaller than my Lincoln Town Car. It gets good enough mileage anyway, a couple more MPG's aren't worth my life. It's either a full framed car or a truck for me.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 6.5

1995 Z28 w/ 2.73's

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 AM
28 cent #2

I don't feel safe in a car period...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl4412 View Post
I don't feel safe in a car period...
And this week I'm 400 miles from home, in a little kia. That stupid little foreign POS has absolutely no traction on anything worse than perfectly clean pavement. And most of the roads are not perfectly clean around here. The ABS kicks in if anyone so much as farts. Lord help us if someone sneezed, we'd go skating around the road like a ballerina squirrel on caffeine.
OHHHH I MISS MY TRUCK!

Go ARMY!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Stimulated

"ballerina squirrel on caffeine"

!! That is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 6.5

1995 Z28 w/ 2.73's

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 AM
PSN Veteran

In my job I go to MVC's (motor vehicle crashes) all the time and see the outcomes of many different scenarios. My wife and I both drive 8000 lb 4x4 CC, LB Super duties for daily drivers with the kids. Any questions?

(BTW, we do tow trailers on a regular basis but even if we didn't, I would drive my "econo-tank" anyway!)

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 11:24 PM
OBS junkie

Back when I turned 18 (on my birthday too mind you) I pulled over for a first responder (fireman) coming towards me to let him go by. Well the three people behind me stopped but a 83 year old man who shouldn't have been on the road missed them & rear ended me at about 50mph with a buick le saber when I was at a dead stop. He busted the driver's side leafs, bent the frame, busted the axle, destroyed the bed, put a huge crack on the sideway of the tire, rear bumper, sent the fan into the radiator, warped the drive shaft. He rolled his car & it was totaled. Both him & his wife survived but it took them about half an hour to get his wife out with the jaws of life. The truck was out of action for a month getting fixed. But we got it fixed & she's back on the road still running strong!

The way I look at it was if I had been in some eco 2 door car I would either be dead or very banged up. Also think about when Elmo got rear ended by that rice burner at about 60mph. He was just fine, the truck was banged up but was fixed & is still running great.
I had some kid tailgating me today while I was driving the Superduty around. What was he in....a Geo Metro! I guess he didn't relize that if I had to stop quick for something he would have seen a trailer hitch coming right at him! Some people just don't think....

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

The Geo is probably trying to draft you.

If he had seen how fast these things can stop - given good ABS and a lot of adrenaline in the right leg - he'd back off.

I was a Chevy guy for 35 years and this truck has flat-out the best brakes I've ever seen on anything. My old Chevy would have spun me into them.

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

Man! I'm like Rodney Dangerfield. I can't get no respect.

The Diesel Garage types get on me because I don't drive a lifted show truck on 38s and the hypermilers dog me becauser I don't drive a Japanese beercan.

I tellya! I don't no respect!

Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode