FUEL MILEAGE TRACKER! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

FUEL MILEAGE TRACKER!

I just thought I would share this fuel mileage tracker that I made for myself one day when I was really bored.

(It's a Microsoft Excel file.)
Gas Mileage Tracker - Empty.xlsx - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Here is what I would do to get started:

The next time you fill up with gas, stop as soon as the nozzle kicks off.
Write down the current mileage.

The next time you fill up with gas again, write down the mileage, fill up until it clicks (that way you have the same amount in the tank as last time), and write down the amount of gallons.

Now you can just enter that data into the spreadsheet and it will calculate everything for you. The highlighted cells on the right are automatically calculated, so don't change them. Just keep repeating the process and make sure to fill until it clicks so that you don't get incorrect results.

One other thing that you can account for is tire size. Since a bigger diameter tire will take you farther for each revolution, the odometer mileage isn't completely accurate anymore. What I did was go out on the interstate, reset the trip meter when I passed a mile marker, and then looked to see what it registered at the next mile marker. Mine was barely over 0.9 miles, so I estimated about 0.92. To correct for this and get accurate gas mileage results in the spreadsheet, just type the number you get where it says Tire Correction Factor. This should give you your correct mileage.

EDIT: to find actual tire correction factor, just divide the stock tire size by the new size(example: 28.9"/31.7" = 0.91)

For the MPG graph, you have to adjust both the axis ranges to fit your specific vehicle.
I have mine set to 12-25mpg and 130,300-135,000miles.
To change them, right-click on the axis and click "format axis".

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 PM
PSN Local

Re: FUEL MILEAGE TRACKER!

Nice. Much better than the one I put together.

Robert

2003 F350SD 7.3L CCSB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 AM
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to jtsparks2
Re: FUEL MILEAGE TRACKER!

Nice to see I'm not the only spreadsheet geek on here

My spreadsheet just has miles traveled, that I track with the trip meter. It also does the mileage correction for me. I have to divide my miles traveled by 1.045 to get an accurate mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode