Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ULSD vs LSD

5K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  TylerDurden 
#1 ·
Anybody been driving the same truck long enough to notice the difference in fuel economy?

Three years ago up until a month ago my truck has had nothing changed. When 'regular' diesel was available I was sniffing 20 all the time with 3.55's an auto and 6" on 40's. I changed tires and some other stuff so I cant say what Im getting anymore but the last two years prior to mods Ive been at 15.6- 17 w/Diesel Kleen. Thats a substantial loss just from less lubrous fuel and I think its BS.

Just like all the people who bought flex fuel vehicles(for more $$ to the sticker price) only to find out their fuel economy suffered drastically using it. Lot of smoke and mirrors.

#3 ·
I lost almost 2mpg with the switch:doh:

#4 ·
I know its probably old hat by now but Im still pissed. The reason it came up from me again is last night I pulled off to fuel and there where three large fueling stations. One a bp, another a citgo, and a marathon. 45 diesel fuel pumps between the 3 stations and not a single one that didnt have some amount of biomass in it. Its like now I cant even get ulsd that pure dino? Its f'n bs.

I suppose some of the people around here didnt have their trucks back when you could get regular diesel and see what mileage was really like.

#5 ·
I know its a big no-no, but thats why i run off-road fuel in mine. Its the lsd where i get it at, and i also gain about 2-3mpg running it versus ulsd.

#6 ·
It seems like everything that might help the everyday guy out is a big no-no nowadays. Im seriously considering putting a 500 gal tank in my new shop and running offroad too and dirtying it up for inspection fooling. Im just tired of paying high prices and getting poorer and poorer quality fuel all the time. diesel became lsd fuel then ulsd fuel and now its ulsd and the tiny sticker on the pump says 'this fuel is 5-20 percent bio-mass'. It should just say welcome to 13 mpg! If I could run the offroad lsd and get back up around 20 I wouldnt be bishin all the time. Its almost like they wanna punish us because we DID get decent fuel economy for a couple years.

#8 ·
Doesnt pay to run offroad anymore. June 2010 Everything is ULSD.

#9 ·
Most OR has been USLD for quite some time in many regions from what I have seen. I figured it was only old stock that was still LSD.

Don't knock the bio added to USLD it actually greatly helps the negatives of USLD lower lubricity. In fact its likely one of the best thing you can add to lubricate it and it quiets down the clatter as well. Now if they would not jack it up a couple cents to fix what they caused that in and of itself caused fuel to go up from the lowest cost fuel next to old leaded fuel to just below supreme gas fuel which at the time over a 20% price hike over night.

I would love to find some type of buyers clubs that allow you put in money that gives you a decent discount on the fuel as they can make a profit off of having your money for the time period until you use it up on fuel. I use no CC anymore but fuel has me seriously considering going to get one that offers a good % back of fuel purchases.

#11 · (Edited)
I agree with what you're saying and I dont 'mind' the bio but it plugs my fuel filter since I dont use it all the time. Secondly, this mostly has to do with fuel economy which suffers when using bio-mass. Last point I want to make, if they are putting that bio-crap in my fuel at 5-20% then I want a discount of that same percentage. The fuel should NOT cost the same if its of inferior quality. The local ag fuel supplier said that they will be able to offer lsd continually if you ask for it otherwise they will bring ulsd.Sorry I just figured out what you were saying about the cost. I couldnt agree more. Thats my bish basically.

Does it not seem like we're being told "you are going to use biofuel"? If thats the case and I have to use a 'low' energy version of diesel fuel, whats the cheapest way to obtain it?

As for the buyers club idea, its what farmers co-ops used to do but 'big' money has threatened their ways and they have all merged and became what they opposed. Sad situation!

#10 ·
i have been adding ashless tcw3 2 stroke oil to my fuel from walmart it seems to help get back some of what was lost due to the switch over

#15 ·
ive tested many things 2 cycle oil just motor oil kleen other stuff from truck stops it gets the same no matter what i put note its the same as nothing in it
witch is 15 city 18 hwy with 373 gears i was wondering about 355 gears

#19 ·
I've never been able to tell the difference between LSD and ULSD, beyond the fact that ULSD costs more.

No true with biodiesel. If there is any biodiesel in the fuel, my mileage goes down. If biodiesel clogs your filters, your fuel tank is full of mung.

#20 ·
I live in IL which is one of the highest producing states for bio. Most service stations in the last two years have put the stickers up stating that their product contains bio. Funny cuz my fuel economy has gone down in the last three. I know that bio helps with lubricity but whatever...I add DieselKleen for that..Oh well, hopefully I can make a small batch of diesel this week.

#23 ·
Will do..

I made a batch lastnight but it isnt right...too much catalyst...its really thin...and not slippery at all...Im gonna have my friend Tom analyze it and see what happened. Might have been my 'cooker'...an old barrel I used..it smelled right until I took the heat off it. He told me I could cut it with diesel and run it if I needed it before he got to have a look at it. I think Im going to have to try to find a better source of potassium or whatever is in the lye.

#29 ·
You want to be even more depressed? After you get over the shock of how much extra fuel you are burning as a standalone number. Flip those gallons of fuel into money :eek:

#30 ·
Ummm....good...I have to get my potassium from a different place cuz something else in the drain cleaner Im using is screwing up my catalyzation. Its burnable but its recommended that I run it with WMO or bought diesel. I have been running wmo/tax diesel at 50/50. Fuel filter is clean after two tankfulls...so far...

once I get some cleaner chems Ill cook up a new batch...my consensus thus far:these things are garbage disposals and will run on any oil as long as some diesel is in there....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.