Better mileage-intercooler or water meth - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Better mileage-intercooler or water meth

I have the stuff in my sig, and i am putting a T.E. 17* pump on in a couple weeks. Im going to get either some AD's or 160 singles this summer, a good tuner, and a 3.08 rear end. when I do I know I will need some intake cooling for the bigger injectors. I have considered both the SD intercooler and water injection. Im aiming for about 24 mpg's when i get it all done im at about 20-21 now. Any body see any areas where I can improve on mileage?
Which will allow better mileage an intercooler or water injection? this is my bigest question.
Also to the people with experience, will you see better mileage with an econo tune or with stock tuning?

1996 F-250. 5 spd, 3.55s, 292k miles, 6637 intake, 3"dp 4" straight pipe, 1.0 A/R, gutted ebpv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Better mileage-intercooler or water meth

Im asking running gear wise, I might do a detachable air dam but I go on a lot of dirt roads and I cant lower it or anything like that

1996 F-250. 5 spd, 3.55s, 292k miles, 6637 intake, 3"dp 4" straight pipe, 1.0 A/R, gutted ebpv
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Well, the water/meth will make you use less diesel, but that's because the Methanol will be a second fuel. you have to consider it's cost to be realistic about your mileage as well.
honestly, I'd do a bed cap and air dam (even if it's smaller). If you're honestly doing 20ish now, that may get you to your goal.
Also, I would think your smaller exhaust housing is going to increase your EGT's and backpressure and not really be a benefit.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

If I do water it will be without meth, just for egt control when im getting on it or towing. I think that the housing will be ok because im gonna get my rpms down to about 1600. it seems like it will be happier down low with this housing but im sure i'll switch out and try the 1.15 also to see which gets better mileage, i've still got my old housing laying around. I have been happy so far with the 1.0 though, I can run about 1-2 lbs of boost and 575* cruising at ~ 65 and 1900 rpms. Any thoughts on a light flatbed vs. a bed with a topper on it?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
PSN Veteran

aerodynamically, I think the bed with cap would be better, unless you could reduce the turbulence behind the cab with the flatbed. I will, however, admit that I'm not a physicist yet.

Dan

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

lol me neither. Im just tired of spending more $ than I have to driving back and forth from college. Im sure Dave will chime in, he has the aerodynamics pretty nailed as far as I can tell

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 AM
MPG Moderator

My two bits.

An intercooler or water/methanol injection: Both will cool your intake but I doubt they will do much for MPG. Hard core ecomodders think about WARM air intakes. Myself, I think its a big wash. The intercooler will require less fussing so that would be my choice if I just HAD to cool the intake air. Be sure and check an intercooler for leaks before installing it and flush it out with solvent to remove any oil on the inside.

I don't think you can get 3.08 gears anymore. They never were big sellers. Few people are as weird as me. Your truck is a stick. Maybe you'd do better to put a GV overdrive on it. Very salty, but you can kick it in or out as you see fit, and it won't kill your tranny.

Aerodynamically, the big kahuna is cleaning up the bed. A tonneau is good. A sloped bed cover is twice as good. A flat cap is counterproductive. Do an air dam after you get the bed right.

At least that's what I've found.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks Dave. Im hoping get a used set of gears, my uncle has a tranny shop so im pretty sure he can find me some fairly easily.

Im kinda leaning towards water and rigging it where I manually turn it on and off. If I understand you correctly the warmer air my non-intercooled system supplies is more efficient?
Im pretty sure that with bigger injectors I will need some type of cooling when im hotrodding it or towing though and I could just manually turn on the water when I needed it

What is a flat cap? Im looking at a bed cover of some kind, it makes sense that it would help with turbulence alot. Can you see at all with a sloped cover that seems like the only issue with it.

Any body ever adress the underside of the truck at all or is it not worth messing with?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
PSN Veteran

An air dam is basically to address the underside by removing the air flow.
Hot air intakes are common on Gassers IIRC... I've never seen one on a diesel, mainly because they have plenty of heat from the turbo, even with a Charge air cooler.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode