Who would buy a hybrid diesel truck/SUV - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy a hybrid diesel truck?
Yes 5 20.00%
If the price is right 18 72.00%
No 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Who would buy a hybrid diesel truck/SUV

I posted this over on another site and thought I would post it here.

Lets say you could get a diesel truck, 1/2 ton and bigger, with a hybrid system in it. Something that took advantage of regenerative braking and could be used like an exhaust brake. Imagine the potential for stored energy from a 6000+lb truck towing a 6000+ lb trailer(or in my case 8000lb truck 15000lb trailer). Imagine being able to use that stored energy to climb the next hill. Should be able to increase power, lower EGTs, and increase mileage. Also with the plug in ones you could let the engine warm up in the morning, and still drive for a while on strictly electric.

So who would be in for that?

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
<----Colin Banks

Re: Who would buy a hybrid diesel truck/SUV

I would. Diesel power is the way of the future and all these gasoline hybrids are not the answer. I know 2 friends that have VW TDI Jetta's and 5 that have the Pruis. All of them get right about the same MPG average, but the VW has far better performance. A diesel hybrid would cost big $$$$$.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

If the price is right, right now I dont see the technology possible to make it feasible and efficient. Only time will tell

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

~

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I found a company in LA that has systems for medium duty trucks, but I can't get any response from them.

http://www.enovasystems.com/index.cf...ducts&linkID=8

The only thing that might need adjusting would be the size of the battery pack and motor, otherwise one of their systems should work great. They already have systems for International trucks.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Exactly, that should be in my truck.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...ational_t.html

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM
OBS junkie

The thing people are forgetting is that how much extra the cost is for a Diesel car/truck & how much more the cost is for a hybrid. Add them together then add on all of the new emissions requirements exhaust, EGR, computer & making a 6.4L Powerstroke look roomy under the hood.......
We can also skip working on the things on our own, after the warrenty is up plan on paying $90 an hour for the dealer to fix it. Personally I'll stick with keeping the older ones on the road & improving them.
But maybe I'm too much of a Redneck to go "green".........

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Last edited by Cat_Rebel; 01-26-2008 at 05:00 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
PSN nerd

i think it would be kinda cool, i got to use one of the international hybrids with a altec bucket on it and it drove awesome the only thing i didnt like was the electric over hydraulic bucket it was too slow. they said we would be able to run 8hrs on batteries on the bucket on the aveage. i think it would be pretty slick in a pickup. but like said above where do ya put all the extra crap?

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 AM
MPG Moderator

If your driving is pure urban/suburban a hybrid truck may be just the ticket.

You gain nothing on the road but a lot of weight and cost that does nothing for you.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 AM
PSN Local

I like the ideas for the diesel hybrid concepts that help with diesel emmissions and then a little for economy. I think it was the Eaton ones that stored hydrolic engery to help with take offs. (IIRC) This allowed the diesel engines to meet much stricter emissions without all the EGR, DPF and other crap that is being used today. As they determined in testing that the majority of emissions were created on take off. This in turn made the engines more efficient and fuel efficient.

2006 Dodge 2500 MegaCab, 4x4, Auto, 5.9L CTD

SOLD-2001 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 auto, 207,000 miles, linex, DP tuner 40T, 80E, 120R. 3.5 inch DP/4 inch exhaust. ATS housing. AFE stage 1, Hutch and Harpooned, HV IDM. V-10 transmission cooler. Medium build transmission. Baby terminator single HPOP, Turbomaster wastegate, 1.0 exhaust housing.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 PM
MPG Moderator

Like I said: This is a great idea for urban/suburban driving dominated by stop-and-go. The regenerative braking recovers the energy lost stopping at a light.

For road use: Useless. Let me give you an extreme example.

Your F-350 is pulling a 10,000 lb trailer full of lumber. Heavy but not aerodynamically draggy. You are on I-64 southeast of Charleston WV. I-64 crosses the New River at Sandstone, WV, and there is a long, steep grade on either side of the bridge. Both are seven miles long at about 7&#37; grade, if I remember correctly.

You top the hill at one side bopping along at 65 and start down. Pretty soon gravity has you divebombing down that grade like a Dauntless at Midway. First thing you go to your generative brake. Even if the batteries or other energy storage were dead flat empty, you will fill them up within a half-mile or so and you have to go to your normal brakes. If you are like most people, you blast over that bridge doing 85 anyway. Pretty soon, though gravity starts doing its thing again and you go to the battery to boost you up the hill. Even if you had charged up to full batteries, they are dead flat in a mile or so, and you go back to the engine to get you up the other side.

You simply cannot carry enough batteries or air tanks to store that much energy. So why bother, other than urban driving?

This is a classic scenario for straight electric railroads. A 10,000 ton train climbing or descending a hill involves stupendous amounts of energy. The dispatcher would hold a train at the top of the grade until another started up then release the uphill train to go down. The train going downhill would go to regenerative braking (this stuff has been around for more than a century) but rather than charging batteries, he discharges the power back into the catenary and the train going uphill uses that power to climb the hill. The second train can climb the hill using 15% of the energy the first one used to climb the hill in the first place. Some open-pit mine use a similar system for their diesel-electric haul trucks. Old tech. Works reliably, but does not use storage but dynamic use of regenerative power.

The stop-and-go pattern of urban driving does not generate or use so much energy that a battery is out of the question. Line-haul is another kettle of fish entirely.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode