Which Additive? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Redneck

Which Additive?

What is the best all around fuel additive? Which ones have you tried, and why do you like them? Personally I have used the Motorcraft Cetane additive, Howes, and Opti-Lube XPD (yes, I saw it in a magazine and I gave it a shot). As far as MPG, I didnt see any real improvement w/ any of these, but with the ULSD I do believe that you should run some sort of extra lube. All recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

1995 F-350 5 Spd 4x4 - Beans Stage 1's, Tymar, '99 IC, 3" Downpipe 4" MBRP, TS 6 Pos - Tuned by Cale, KCM HPX Line, Autometer Gauges, IDM Mod, CCV catch can, EBPV gutted, Stock oil, Stock fuel w/ FPR shimmed

Speed is money - How fast do you wanna go?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whoever dies with the most toys wins - Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
PSN Local

Re: Which Additive?

Alot of people on here go with 2 Stroke ashless motor oil from Wal-Mart. It seems to work for them as far as keepeing everything lubricated and some people have noticed some slight MPG increase. I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna start. Use a 1oz to 1gal ratio.

I have killed two people since midnight, I haven't slept in over 24 hours. So maybe... maybe you should be a little more afraid of me than you are right now. Jack Bauer
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 AM
PSN Veteran

i run powerservice and pick up anywhere from .5-1 mpg and power is noticable and it doesnt smoke as bad, im a lil hefty on it though to. ive always used it and quit for nearly six months and it finally dawned on me that i had lost some power and it was noisier and bam its back to runnin stronger an quieter again.

05 f350 CCLB 4x4 delete and sct x4 thanks to innovative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
Sh*t in a box (litterally) and write "Will give you 200+ hp, just add to your fuel" on the box and give it to him. Then ask him if he still believe's everything thats written on a box...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
if you can blow up a 7.3 just imagaine what you would do to a 6.0

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Redneck

Where can you pick up a bottle of Powerservice?

1995 F-350 5 Spd 4x4 - Beans Stage 1's, Tymar, '99 IC, 3" Downpipe 4" MBRP, TS 6 Pos - Tuned by Cale, KCM HPX Line, Autometer Gauges, IDM Mod, CCV catch can, EBPV gutted, Stock oil, Stock fuel w/ FPR shimmed

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Red95 View Post
Where can you pick up a bottle of Powerservice?
pretty much any automotive supply store. wal-mart sells it. cal-ranch if you have those in your area.
it looks like this

also, stanadyne is a good brand too

2001 F-250 PSD 4x4 Lariat CC SB Auto
Power Hungry Performance
Edge CTS Insight
ATS 4" Straight Pipe
ATS Ported Compressor Housing
AFE Stage II Intake
DI Stainless Up-Pipes
BTS Valve Body
6.0 Billet Converter
6.0 32 Row Trans Cooler
Foil Delete
AIH Delete
CCV Mod
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
id: 5520

Powerservice here as well. I don't notice much in the way of improved MPG but the truck runs smoother due to the added lubicity and cetane. White bottle in winter and gray bottle in the summer.. It's $12.00 here at Wally World, treats 250 gallons..
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:37 AM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Red95 View Post
What is the best all around fuel additive? Which ones have you tried, and why do you like them? Personally I have used the Motorcraft Cetane additive, Howes, and Opti-Lube XPD (yes, I saw it in a magazine and I gave it a shot). As far as MPG, I didnt see any real improvement w/ any of these, but with the ULSD I do believe that you should run some sort of extra lube. All recomendations will be greatly appreciated.
I've tried every kind i could get my hands on,but we prefer MotorCraft additive,it seems to work the best for us.Evan in our D-Maxes.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM
MPG Moderator

I've never known any additive to improve MPG.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Redneck

Wal-Mart, that easy enough. Ill swing by in the morning and pick up a jug.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 AM
PSN Local

For some reason ive never netted Anything using powerservice in any of my diesels. With that being said my opinion would be either Howe's or stanadyne. Usually i run the Howe's since its easily picked up at some part store's or truck stops. Then there's also the 2 stroke like mentioned above.

2002 F350- Auto, 4x4, CCSB, SW, Lariat
Autometer Pyro,Boost,Tranny Gauges// AFE Stage2 PG7// 4" TB Exhaust// 6.0 Trans Cooler//

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode