fuel tank capacity my idea for 3 tanks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

fuel tank capacity my idea for 3 tanks

ok guys i've been brain storming and i think this is what im going to do

I do a lot of long road trips and i hate having to stop all the time and fuel up.I was thinking of putting a tank in the bed but its only 6 ft and it is already packed full of chit when i travel so i was maybe going to get a topper and get a 100 gal tank and put it in the bed and just stack up my gear.Well toppers are expensive and they dont really look all that great so.... Now my latest and greatest brain fart is to put another 29 gal tank on the passenger side and put a 44 gal excursion tank in place of the spare tire. In order to put a tank on the other side i think ill just have to shorten my exhaust and come out under the cab or maybe reroute it towards the center and come out in the rear somewhere. The downside of coming out under the cab ill have to invest in a better sound system because it'll be loud.
Now this is where it gets complicated i want to be able to run bio in one tank or diesel in the others.So i need a solinoid that will return back to the tank it is taking fuel from so i dont contaminate my other tanks.Where can i get one it will have to have 6 ports right and will i be able to read how full the tank that i have selected is.Also will the stock fuel pump pull bio or do i have to get another pump set up to run all of this.
Ok now for the filling up part of this i would like to come out of the side just like the stock filler neck that way when i have to fill up i wont have to unload my truck and maybe if i dont have access to bio and i just want to run diesel in all of the tanks i would like to link all of the tanks together so i would just have to flip a switch and fill all 3 tanks off of one neck instead of having to run around to 3 different filler necks like a pit crew just to fill up!

Has anybody hooked up a aux tank off of the stock pump and returned back to the aux tank and what all did you have to do im trying to fiqure out how hard it will be to get all of this rigged up and if you guys think it is at all possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 AM
peterbilt'in

Re: fuel tank capacity my idea for 3 tanks

Has anybody hooked up a aux tank off of the stock pump and returned back to the aux tank and what all did you have to do im trying to fiqure out how hard it will be to get all of this rigged up and if you guys think it is at all possible?

i was going to do that when i had my Aux box/tank. the guys sent me a link for a valve that would do just that... idk where it went. ill hunt it down when i have some time.

there is a company that makes tanks for stock locations, my neighbor has the same truck as me, but a shortbed and he replaced his 28gallon tank with one... i think 50? almost 50 gallon tank? and has a 90gallon fuel tank/toolbox in the bed hooked up to feed into the stock tank. he's retired, drives across country with the 5r... i cant wait to be retired.

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 AM
PSN Local

Why seperate the Bio?? I believe mixing Bio and No.2 is perfectly OK... I do like the Idea of having 3 tanks and being able to just use the rear one in the winter to keep weight over the rear tires...

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Crazy Redneck

Still got to stop to piss.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 AM
PSN Local

Well... just have a couple of empty water bottles inside the truck... work wonders

99.5 F250 2wd 6Speed: DP Tuner, Straight Pipe, DIY Tymar, 203 Thermostat. Spec Focus Hauler!!

23.5 MPG (HIGHWAY)
17.5 MPG (City)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
PSN Local

I was just goin to say the same thing When was "swooping" on the weekends from Camp Lejuene N.C. to Pa (550 miles door to door for me) I one time topped off my little cavelier in PA and did not stop once single time (NO CHIT) all the way back to base. Wide mouth 1 liter Mt Dew bottles are perfect!

Allen
2008 F-250 6.4L C.C./S.B.
Southern Comfort Custom Painted 2-Tone
6"Lift 35's on 20" Pro-Comp Wheels
Coming Very Soon......Spartan and some other goodies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCOOL View Post
Still got to stop to piss.
Not if you're Ray from the Canadian TV show Trailer Park Boys......hahahaa....advocates use of a 1 gallon (plastic milk jug) or pizz jug... When full you toss out the window.... Hahahaa...the way of the road boy he always says......heh heh

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Not if you're Ray from the Canadian TV show Trailer Park Boys......hahahaa....advocates use of a 1 gallon (plastic milk jug) or pizz jug... When full you toss out the window.... Hahahaa...the way of the road boy he always says......heh heh
Eventually gotta stop to get more jugs.

After about 700-800 miles, my butt hurts so bad and my legs hurt so it's time to get out & stretch. So I try to do that, get something to eat, use the toilet, and get fuel, all at the same stop.

Go ARMY!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 PM
PSN Local

A friend of mine had a custom dry box made for his truck it holds someware around 75L of fuel and still lots of room for storage. He has it set up so it just gravity feeds to one of his other tanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 PM
PSN Veteran

I think hookin all three tanks for one fill point is possible but might not be worth the effort IMO. I run three tanks on my sig truck stock front, 145 litre (38 us gallon) rear and spare tire under there too. Plus a 200 litre (52 us gallon) custom combo dry box fuel cell gravity feed to front tank. Box is 25" high with bottom 10" fuel cell 60" wide and 24" deep from front of truck box. Works awesome...

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode