wastegate on/off for best mpg - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

wastegate on/off for best mpg

Alright, so I've searched the archives and other posts and couldn't find anything on this topic specifically aimed towards mpg. I'm running tunes with a stock turbo and am wondering if disabling my wastegate would improve spool time, in turn improve acceleration, and in turn improve mpg by burning less fuel to get to speed.

Thats my question and here is some additional background on my goal here: I am aiming towards improved mpg, not more boost; I can get at least 26 psi of boost with the wastegate enabled therefore am not trying to solve a boost problem; I realize that over 25psi of boost can damage or shorten the life of my turbo and hope to control this by throttle; I do not want more boost, just quicker spooling if that will improve mpg.

One more question although i wouldn't like this to be the make point of discussion, but I live in a mostly flat area and don't tow heavy loads but maybe twice a month. Would my boost levels be too hard to control when climbing hills or pulling a heavy load on the rare occasion where i would need to do this. This still wouldn't keep me away cuz i could still just plug it in beforehand, but am curious as to where or not i should plan for this.

If i have time tomorrow i'll try to datalog both enabled and disabled and try to compare the curves, but no guarantees of when i can get that info up.

Please share your opinions, thanks

02 F250 7.3L PSD, 6sp manual, 4WD, SCT livewire, AFE custom WAI, single stack, no muf, 285 BFG AT

Last edited by dpmoore1982; 03-02-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add this in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: wastegate on/off for best mpg

There's a wastegate there for a reason, to protect your turbo.
Your engine takes in information regarding boost and uses that to calculate how much fuel you burn.
If anything, You'd want to open your WG sooner for fuel economy.
as for towing, your EGT's would skyrocket (more exhaust restriction) and your boost would get a bit out of control (very small turbine housing).

I would leave my wastegate alone, personally

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode