Plates on bottom of truck to decrease drag/increase MPG - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Plates on bottom of truck to decrease drag/increase MPG

I tried searching for this but came up with nothing. I was thinking of either mounting light metal plates or strips or rubber across the bottom of my truck that could be easily removed for maintenance to decrease the drag on the bottom of the truck. I know that this concept works on race cars and with the ease of getting under these trucks and my ready supply of thick rolled rubber i was thinking about doing this. Don't know much about calculations to figure this out but would be interested if anyone had any input or has tried this. I know it sounds like i'm trying to rice it out but from what i understand it would decrease the slowing of air under our trucks, decrease our upforce, and decrease our wind resistance. I my materials are just lying around i'm thinking why not try it.

02 F250 7.3L PSD, 6sp manual, 4WD, SCT livewire, AFE custom WAI, single stack, no muf, 285 BFG AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Plates on bottom of truck to decrease drag/increase MPG

I've thought about it, but I worry about heat areas...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
< YOU WISH...

Alot of the European cars come to the US with a fully panned underside. The salts used in snow and ice removal causes accelerated rusting. Something to consider if you are in the snowbelt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
It feels like someone just had forced buttsecks with my eyes.

**no links for non site sponsors please**

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

accelerated rusting behind the plates or of the plates? I'm mostly thinking of using heavy rubber since I have an ample supply of it and that shouldn't rust. If it does I'll blame it on my dog cuz i'm sure he would have had something to do with it.

02 F250 7.3L PSD, 6sp manual, 4WD, SCT livewire, AFE custom WAI, single stack, no muf, 285 BFG AT
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
< YOU WISH...

The chassis rusts due to the plates retaining dirt, salt and moisture. Who would care if the plate rusts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
It feels like someone just had forced buttsecks with my eyes.

**no links for non site sponsors please**
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 AM
PSN Local

I was thinking almost like airplane paneling. You could make them attach with Cam locks and it would be easy enough to get in there and clean it all out or do any sort of work.

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc singles with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmoore1982 View Post
accelerated rusting behind the plates or of the plates? I'm mostly thinking of using heavy rubber since I have an ample supply of it and that shouldn't rust. If it does I'll blame it on my dog cuz i'm sure he would have had something to do with it.
I had a dog just like that. That sob was always getting me into trouble!

2002 F-250 SD Lariat CC 4x4
7.3L automatic.
Underdash gauge pod with ISSPRO gauges.
Zoodad.
AIH delete.
DIY Tymar filter.
Sonnax Kit.
4" turbo back straight exhaust and 4-6" Silverline chrome tip.
20" wheels with 32x12.5 Toyo MT's
'08 aluminum rear diff cover.
SOLID AXLE front cover.
A/C Mod
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The retaining moisture concept does seem troublesome. Hmmm

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
MPG Moderator

Yup. These things (generally called Ďbelly pansí) do work. The underside of your truck is the draggiest part of it. Bellypans are common to all super-high MPG vehicles.

Front-engine, rear-drive trucks are not easy to do a belly pan on. As TheSleeper noted, heat could be an issue. Particularly on the rear axle. Our axles are marginal on heat control as is. Thatís why the trucks come with exotic synthetic gear lube Ė to take the heat. Newer trucks with the DPF have a definite heat challenge. Exhausts in general could be a problem.

An idea that helps with the heat problem is to use screen as your belly pan material. At the Reynolds numbers that trucks generate, screen closely approximates slick materials as far as air flow is concerned.

Belly pans and air dams are somewhat competing ideas. The belly pans eases air flow under the truck, thus reducing drag. Air dams divert the air flow around the truck leaving less air flow under the truck to generate drag. I personally always liked the air dam because it generates a little vacuum under the truck as it makes air flow through our condenser/intercooler/radiator stack better.

Bonneville cars use both air dams and belly pans in their no-holds-barred search for speed.

Funny thing. Speed is the enemy of super-high MPG, but super-high MPG vehicles wind up looking a lot like Bonneville racers. Slick is slick at any speed.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I like this screen idea, if it really does generate similar numbers as plates but allows some heat to escape and would definitely help moisture to escape I can't think of much of a reason not to try it. I think this concept sounds like its worth at least doing some experimenting with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode