Anyone using a Scan Gauge II for MPG help? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Anyone using a Scan Gauge II for MPG help?

Just picked one up on fleabay for just about half of what they usually cost. Quite a bit of data. RPM, what the ECM is translating ground speed as, and I'm finding that my ECM is reading my ground speed as one MPH slower than actual GPS speed...on the analog gauge, it looked good. Engine load, , TPS, various temperatures and pressures. Can get codes with it too.

Just starting to play with it, but I was able to modify my driving habits quite quickly in 100 miles of driving yesterday that I think I'm going to see an improvement in my mileage.

Anyone else using one?

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD
2003 Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3PSD - Sold
1996 E350SD dually 7.3PSD - Gone!

2002 VW Jetta TDI - stock
2007 Escape Hybrid
1999 Kaw KLR650 - 17/42 gearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Anyone using a Scan Gauge II for MPG help?

Friend of mine has a Scan Gauge II in his PSD E350. Traded notes with him today, and we set up some new information in my Scan Gauge.

The ECM reads a lot of data, getting the Scan Gauge to read additional information is just a matter of programing it. So, we added Engine Oil Temperature, Transmission Temperature, ICP and IPR values, and HP. Still learning quite a bit about it. Tomorrow AM will be interesting to watch my data with a cold engine now having EOT and Trans temperatures.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD

2007 Escape Hybrid
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
PSN Local

i run one in my 2006 TDI Jetta... Works great. Have it programed also to show boost presure as well... Not to sure about it getting codes though. It has never pulled one code on my veh even when i have sent it into limp mode from a over boost. I always have to go in with my vag com to get my codes. Could just be a VW thing?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Custom Trailer Sales

I've used it on my truck a few times to read fuel mileage. The one thing I've never figured out on the MPG setting, is what the difference is between "Diesel A" and "Diesel B".

I've also pulled a few codes on some of the gassers, I like it for what it is.

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerHauler View Post
The one thing I've never figured out on the MPG setting, is what the difference is between "Diesel A" and "Diesel B".
Has something to do with how the manufacture makes the map, I believe. My Excursion and my friends E350, both 7.3's, are DieselA. You switch between A and B and look at one of the values, might be fuel pressure? On one setting, the measurement will move when you press on the accelerator, the other won't.

I've been using EOT, TFT, EPB, and LOD. LOD is engine load. EBP is exhaust back pressure. I'm finding it a little more useful in driving in the cold mornings as it helps me understand when the EPBV is more closed. When I can "see" that, it requires a lot more LOD percentage to just get moving and maintain speed. Doesn't seem to change much until the EOT gets to over 110* which today took about four miles. EOT started at around 18* with this AM's temperature at around 20* when I started. My OEM block heater was on for about two hours plus before start up.

For driving, I'm finding that if I can be more gentle with my inputs, I can keep LOD below 40%, after the EOT warms up and the EBPV seems to be opened up. I've generally had mileage below 16MPG, hand calculated, in the winter months here in Wisconsin. Usually in the 13 -15MPG range. I've done two tanks above 16MPG with my change in driving as a result of the data I've been able to gleen from my Scangauge. Would like more data, and then apply what I'm doing to the warmer weather.
I track my data here...
The X...sometimes pulling the big trailer (Ford Excursion) | Fuelly

Finally, the ECM does read MPH. That gets translated in to the analog gauge, which is, well, analog. I used the MPH setting on the Scangauge to compare against my GPS, and I found out that my ECM is reading 55MPH as 56MPH on my GPS. One can change the MPH value in the Scangauge to correct it for MPH/MPG readings. I need to decide what to do with my actual MPH as it's read in the ECM. I have 285/75R16 tires, and I don't believe that the ECM has ever been modified to change the correction factor. Thinking about the Autoenginuity for that in addition to possibly using it for other things.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD

2007 Escape Hybrid
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Are you guys able to read MPG with the scan gauge just as is with the overhead console on the lariet models? If so will it present a MPG number as inaccurate as if it were the overhead console?

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrellc123 View Post
Are you guys able to read MPG with the scan gauge just as is with the overhead console on the lariet models? If so will it present a MPG number as inaccurate as if it were the overhead console?
When I'm running my DP Tuner "off", on the stock, mode, my overhead console is pretty close to hand calculated.

The Scangauge calculates MPG, but it can be off. It is translating information from the ECM on fuel, and one is able to tell the Scangauge when one fills up. But fill ups aren't consistent. Angle of the vehicle at fill up, different pumps, and other variables will change the amount of actual fuel that goes into the tank.

I don't recognize a way to avoid long term, hand-calculated data to recognize trends and actual mileage.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD

2007 Escape Hybrid
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
When I'm running my DP Tuner "off", on the stock, mode, my overhead console is pretty close to hand calculated.

The Scangauge calculates MPG, but it can be off. It is translating information from the ECM on fuel, and one is able to tell the Scangauge when one fills up. But fill ups aren't consistent. Angle of the vehicle at fill up, different pumps, and other variables will change the amount of actual fuel that goes into the tank.

I don't recognize a way to avoid long term, hand-calculated data to recognize trends and actual mileage.
I have # 1 truck with an overhead console that will be off a set amount depending on which tune I am running as far as MPG is concerned. I recently bought # 2 truck,a 2000 XLT and I would like to be able to watch the MPG just as I do with # 1 truck. I have considered installing an overhead console in # 2, but if I could see the same info with a scan gauge then that would be a much better way to go as there is MUCH more info to be viewed with a scan gauge.
I have a scan gauge in # 1 truck and have not seen the MPG displayed, what must be done to see this?

99.5 F-350 SRW 6 speed mods:PHP live tuned., MSD propane system, snow water injection,DDP stage 1 injectors,AFE stage II air intake,ITP boost regulater,3.5 turbo back exaust,FASS fuel system. Gulf Coast oil bypass filtration, ITP reg. return, HPX oil line , GTP 38r with 1.15,EBPV delete. 430,000 miles,Adrenaline HPOP
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrellc123 View Post
I have a scan gauge in # 1 truck and have not seen the MPG displayed, what must be done to see this?
Should all be in the owners manual and on their website. Starting from "home", select "gauge", then you'll have four different values. Choose one of them by pushing the corresponding value and change it to MPG, any of the other standard values, or to any of the Xgauges that one has programed in.

Dave
2005 E350 6.0PSD

2007 Escape Hybrid
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 PM
PSN Local

I have a scanguage 2 with the x-gauges and currently monitor volts (to know when GPs are running), Trans temp, mpg, and manifold pressure which is boost plus 14.2 psi. I tried typing in the X-guage commands for engine oil temp and coolant temp but had no luck. I also don't have the ICP and EBP. How did you find the codes and if they aren't on a site, well, what are they?

I have been logging mpg for about 1.5 years now and find that the correction factor that you must enter with each fillup varies considerably in winter vs. summer and on long highway drives vs. city vs. towing. It's just not terribly accurate unless you drive the same route and style each day. Add to that the difficulty in filling the ford tank to the same place each time.

2000 F350 SRW, 4wd, CCSB, PSD
Lowered rear end to F250 height, 4" exhaust w/ muff, foil delete, AIH delete, Ford AIS intake, tru-cool trans cooler, autometer under dash pod and gauges, Mile Marker hubs, 04 headlights, soft tonneau

18' 10k rated PJ car hauler
26' 7500# Creekside RV Trailer
Kioti CK30 tractor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode