Intake Temp VS MPG - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Intake Temp VS MPG

Has anyone studied the effect of intake temp vs MPG? I'm curious what the "optimum" temp is for mileage. Could some of our cold weather mileage loss be due to the air being too cold through the intercooler. I could think of a really cool way to fix this and regulate the intake temperature automatically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: Intake Temp VS MPG

Matt I think the mileage loss is due to the fuel .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Matt I think the mileage loss is due to the fuel .
i'm pretty sure i have summer blend right now and took a good hit with the cold weather on a long trip were before I had another 4mpg on the same fuel...... I'm just thinking that really cold intake air is playing a good bit into the mileage loss.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
i'm pretty sure i have summer blend right now and took a good hit with the cold weather on a long trip were before I had another 4mpg on the same fuel...... I'm just thinking that really cold intake air is playing a good bit into the mileage loss.
Only way to tell is get the fuel analized to know for sure. I am wondering the same thing on my gaser the mileage has gone down in the last 3-4 months I dont drive any different. I think we are getting fawked more an more at the pumps. I mean I have noticed it the last few yrs. in gas and diesel both. I am aware of diesel inconsistancies (sp) as I have had all sorts of diesel from all over in my big rig and I pay attention to the way the truck runs and the miles I travel. I got some bio once it was B99 I think I got some stupid miles per gallon out of that stuff. Anyway I think the winter stuff is way down on BTUs.

Tuned by T Wildman
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 AM
<-- it's like that

Cooler air is more dense.

This means more air into the engine.

However, it also means you have to push the brick of a truck through dense air too.

Give and take relationship.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post

However, it also means you have to push the brick of a truck through dense air too.

True that ............ Sounds logical !

Tuned by T Wildman
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 AM
PSN Pretender

Quote:
Has anyone studied the effect of intake temp vs MPG? I'm curious what the "optimum" temp is for mileage. Could some of our cold weather mileage loss be due to the air being too cold through the intercooler. I could think of a really cool way to fix this and regulate the intake temperature automatically.
Subscribed.........have been curious about this for a while.

What do you have in mind to regulate temps?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post

Think about easieness to light the fuel off with freezing intake temps.... I'm thinking that extremely cold temps make it harder to light off the mixture. Now there are timing compensators that add timing with colder intake temps, but you can only do so much.

Where's our MPG moderator when you need him....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
What do you have in mind to regulate temps?
A butterfly valve that can bypass the intercooler if necessary to help maintain "x" degrees minimum intake temperature. It could be made closed-loop via a microcontroller. So if we determine that 80 degrees is optimum it would automatically close the valve (even partially if necessary) to divert flow and bypass the intercooler if the intake temp drops below such a point.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Think about easieness to light the fuel off with freezing intake temps.... I'm thinking that extremely cold temps make it harder to light off the mixture. Now there are timing compensators that add timing with colder intake temps, but you can only do so much.

Where's our MPG moderator when you need him....
The only thing I wonder is how long that air stays cold once it's inside the cylinder. As the piston pushes upward and the air starts to compress, I would imagine the temps start to rise pretty quickly. Theoretically you want the air cold so you can cram more molecules inside the combustion chamber. After that, temps rise quickly. At least that's what I've always thought.

One thing that comes to mind is Ford and their tinkering with what was supposed to be the next generation Lightning. They were testing out intercooling systems that incorporated the refrigerant from the A/C to supercool the incoming air. Supposedly they gained some decent power in short bursts.

But this is a good thread. It would be interesting to see comparisons with different intake temps, while keeping everything else equal.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode