A Question About The Soul Of The Pickup Truck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

A Question About The Soul Of The Pickup Truck

I have always held that a pickup truck must at minimum be able to haul a 4x8 between the wheel wells, even if you have to run with the tailgate down (short bed trucks). That means a minimum width between the wheel wells of 49 inches.

My question for the community is this: How tall does the cargo box have to be? The top of my Super Duty’s tailgate is 22 inches above the load deck. Is this the minimum?

Of course I’m driving at something. You gotta do things differently if you want different results.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
OBS junkie

Re: A Question About The Soul Of The Pickup Truck

You thinking about cutting your bed down alittle Dave? I guess for what I do (work truck/daily driver) it's perfect height for me. I will admit though the deep beds of the new F150s are kinda neat. But they do remind me of a hot tub in alot of ways though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

kinda like those fontain beds?
not really even a bed but they have a little 6-8" tailgate??

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
dinnerbooter treasurer

I still concider a flatbed a pickup and that doesn't have a tailgate.

93 F350 Gasser
03 F250 6.0

dinnerbooter #3
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineford View Post
I still concider a flatbed a pickup and that doesn't have a tailgate.
Same here.
I'm still trying to figure out how to put some realy sturdy anchor points in my bed for ratchet straps. Flatbeds have them already.

Go ARMY!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 AM

I didnt know there was a minumum height. Hey dan I put 4 tiedowns in a new chevy for a guy, he wanted stainless steel,but mild steel would be just as nice espically if they were powder coated. I used a peice of 1/4 barstock 2 1/2 by 5 inches(about the size of a pack of ciggerets but thinner an maybe longer, I used 8 peices of this drilled 5/8 holes through allof them at once on my drill press( it took a while drilling) I started out with a 11/64 bit and moved onup. I used 1/2 s.s round stock bent into Cs faceing down only all flat sides , welded them to the plates on top (you could drill the plate out put your round stock through an weld on the bottom for added strength and weld the top or leave untouched your preference) I rounded the sharp edges off put 1/2 carrige bolts through the 4 i welded c hooks to tack welded them in to keep em from spinning (as i have no bits to drill a square holes,lol and not plasma cutting 4 drilling 4) used the other pieces as a template in the bed to mark wear i was to drill through, drilled through the bed put the hooks and bolts through the holes used the others as washers under neath with flats locks nuts and a nylock to jam nut it. he use the 2inch straps and wanted something stout. and the olboy gave me a 20$ tip on top of the 130$ i charged him for the whole mess. he really liked and not to brag but i thought they looked almost like meant to be. thers a million ways to do it but i thought that was about as sturdy as you could get.if you went a similar route keep in mind if you were hauling lighter stuff you could go lighter maybe no washer plate,or a different size or material . like s.s on top m.s. on bottom .
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
MPG Moderator

I think what I am driving at is (as a first step) to lower the bed rails down to a level maybe one inch higher than a fifth wheel sits above the load deck and taper the rear of the bed to the slightly wider than the distance between the wheel wells. Allowing for tailgate post thickness my guess is 52” wide and maybe 12” above the deck. Just doing that would reduce my wake area by 65%.

From there, I look to build two “doghouses.”

One would be for operating without a trailer (most of the time.) It would gracefully connect the cab to this much smaller tailgate. I use either a big hatch or a roll-up (ReTrax or Pace-Edwards) cover to allow putting odd sized loads in quickly and easily.

The second would be to fair in a long skinny pop-up type trailer. Think a 80 inch wide by 30 foot long Hi-Lo, but for my purposes it would be a very spartan toy hauler – a cargo trailer with AC and heat and a porta-pot. The top part would have a tail cone to make it low-drag. With a special “doghouse” to fair it into the truck, it would be a very slick and low-resistance setup.

There is a guy who took his 50 MPG Civic and by reducing aero drag jacked that thing up to 95 MPG. If he could fit a nice efficient diesel in it he would win the X-prize. Currently, his car is as ugly as homemade sin – he is no body man and he has held expenses down to $400 ... and it looks it – but the thing does work. I don’t look to get that radical but if I can get this truck to 30 MPG…

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Toybreaker

buy a "spare bed" and modify that one. Leave your nice factory bed stock.

2001 F250 XLT 4x4 auto
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

Yeah that's a good idea, get a second bed to modify and keep around the stocker

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 AM
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to Spanky is my Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_dan View Post
Same here.
I'm still trying to figure out how to put some realy sturdy anchor points in my bed for ratchet straps. Flatbeds have them already.
Dunno if anyone answered this for you, but you can get high strength D-rings from any trailer supply place. We use them for securing race cars inside trailers and they're plenty sturdy. Install is straight forward.

[SIGPIC]http://www.fmjmotorsports.com/fmj_com_crop.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode