I need help...BAD!!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation I need help...BAD!!!!

i am only running 8 MPG. i put a s&b cold air intake on my truck and a diamond eye exhaust and only pushing 8 mpg. I just got the truck as a hand me down in april but previously it sat for almost 8 years and before that my dad would use it as his heavy duty work truck. He kept up on oil changes and basic maintenance but never thought about adding performance. Might i add it pulled a 500 gal water tank lots of chemical all over the montana country side. I know for a fact it has leaking up pipes and at least one injector going. i haven't chiped it yet but in time i will. Is there anything i should look to buy to help increase the MPG.

Never bet against a powerstroke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Re: I need help...BAD!!!!

what kinda truck are we talking about here ??

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 7.3 powerstroke

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Administrator

i would start by making sure no brakes are dragging get them up in the air stand on the brakes and let go then see if the wheels spin with minimal drag

or even a temp gun should show a hot brake after a drive and may pinpoint an issue

and of course work on the exhaust leak and I bet injectors will help a ton a chip is a must but not so much for MPG lol

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
i would start by making sure no brakes are dragging get them up in the air stand on the brakes and let go then see if the wheels spin with minimal drag

or even a temp gun should show a hot brake after a drive and may pinpoint an issue

and of course work on the exhaust leak and I bet injectors will help a ton a chip is a must but not so much for MPG lol
what injectors do you suggest

Never bet against a powerstroke
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 03:39 AM
Administrator

I can't recommend any other than OEM I am not a 7.3 guru

you can ask in the 7.3 section

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Let's hold up a minute. Injectors could be the cause but you need/ want some upgrades before going there.

As zmann said check your brakes. Also look for leaking up pipes, boost leaks, stuck ebpv. How old are your filters. fueland air. How oil is your oil. How many miles on the truck. Do you have any modifications.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 PM
MPG Moderator

Post #7 summed up most of the things I'd recommend.

These Super Duty trucks are notorious for sticky brakes. Not enough to get really hot and let you know there is a problem, but enough to sabotage your MPG although eventually they will get hot and cook a rotor. The rear brakes are the worst and are hardest to catch. Dry graphite lube on the slide helps.

I've fought my EBPV. The damned thing would stick shut for months. It's like driving with an exhaust brake all the time. I finally electrically disconnected it when I knew it was open. It takes a while to warm up but at least it runs efficiently.

Make sure your 4x4 and hubs are disengaged. They are a lot of drag.

Other guys mentioned maintenance items and they are right. Also inspect for fuel leaks between the tank and the filter. I've never had this problem but I've heard of guys who did have it.

The big tires are not doing you any favors as far as MPG is concerned.

Eastern or western Montana? Terrain matters.

Speed matters a lot; but I know in the West the sheer distances dominate your driving style.

Unless you have 4.56 gears you should get better than 8 MPG.

2000 F-350 SC 4x2 6 speed
3.08 gears Gear Vendor Overdrive
Slammed 4"
Rugged Air Dam
315,000 miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:27 PM
Cal
PSN Newb

I have a 97 7.3 e4od. Stock except for 3 inch downpipe to straight pipe. Did new front brakes and that is all. Running 285/75/r16' mud tires with 4.10 gearing. Driving conservatively I will easily hit 20 mpg on the highway, even going from sacramento to truckee. The key is driving it well. There are few if any other ways to increase fuel economy. I drive 55 if it is flat, speed up and gain speed down hills, and slow down going up hills. My throttle position barely changes in all these situations. You must use your momentum from downhills to be able to go up the hills without laying into the throttle. My friends and I went up to truckee this last weekend. They went 70-80 while I used this method. Surprise Surprise I got just under 20 mpg through those steep hills. Their Tacomas and Jeeps with small tires got no better than 13. Took me around 30-40 more minutes. I saved 25 dollars in fuel as compared to them. Ask yourself, is an hour or so minutes of your time worth 25 dollars? I think so. Other thing is to turn overdrive off when you begin to lug in overdrive. The PCM downshifts too late. Lugging in overdrive up a hill wastes more fuel than revving higher in 3rd in many situations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode